Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
I suppose I could send it into Pentax, they might fine tune it to perfection. Might even be better than a "good copy."
I've taken so many great photos with this lens, I definitely encourage you to get a 'good copy' or better, however it happens.

01-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I used the lens with my K-3 for a few months before getting the K-1. I think the AF is definitely faster with the K-1. The lens is a stellar performer. The more I use it the less I mind the weight. Just an excellent lens
01-11-2017, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I've taken so many great photos with this lens, I definitely encourage you to get a 'good copy' or better, however it happens.
I got them both boxed up... I took another series of photos tonight.
I put a piece of masking tape on them labeling them 1 (first one I bought) and 2 (the replacement)
I proceeded to shoot some photos of a tea set I had.
I will post the pics tomorrow when I have a betting internet connection.

I had some problems with (1) and said, this one is definitely a bad one. Focus took a while and shots weren't sharp. Then I said, this number (2) is DEFINITELY bad. So in the end I decided they both definitely are going back. I will shoot Amazon a message and ask them if they can do some things special for me.
1) ship the thing with some padding. I feel like saying I am going to order some bubble wrap, please use it to send out the replacement.
2) assure me I am getting a fresh lens from Pentax that has never been opened.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by randee; 01-11-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: i can't type...
01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Surprised they didn't put it in a box. So I might be cursed when it comes to this lens.
I'm a bit shocked that Amazon sent this lens out without any external packaging, just relying on the lens box itself to protect it during shipment. Amazon don't seem to understand that lenses are [expensive] precision instruments. Lenses are not books.

The only lens I've ever had big problems with (decentred, wacky AF) was packaged and shipped much the same way [not from Amazon]. I would attribute the current problems with your 70-200 to the rough journey both your lenses have probably experienced on their way from Amazon to you.

01-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I used the lens with my K-3 for a few months before getting the K-1. I think the AF is definitely faster with the K-1. The lens is a stellar performer. The more I use it the less I mind the weight. Just an excellent lens
Thanks for the comment Winder it's your comment and others like it that are going to make me give it another shot.
If this one doesn't work I think Pentax should comp me 2 K1 bodies for my trouble.

Have you use any similar sigma/tamron 70-200mm before? I am wondering if I could find someone that used the tamron and upgraded to the Pentax. I would like to hear their opinion.

I emailed Sigma and asked them if they could produce their 70-200mm for the pentax K mount again.

---------- Post added 01-12-2017 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm a bit shocked that Amazon sent this lens out without any external packaging, just relying on the lens box itself to protect it during shipment. Amazon don't seem to understand that lenses are [expensive] precision instruments. Lenses are not books.

The only lens I've ever had big problems with (decentred, wacky AF) was packaged and shipped much the same way [not from Amazon]. I would attribute the current problems with your 70-200 to the rough journey both your lenses have probably experienced on their way from Amazon to you.
I was too rawr,

My only concern is that a $2000 lens can packaged well and roughed up in shipment and basically be defective. How will it hold up while it's bouncin' around in my padded bag?
Is it just a matter of bounces and nudges that will put this lens off?

It seems so well built. Reminds me limited lenses. Really solid. It seems like it should be able to take a beating in it's box, even what UPS can dish out.

Thanks for your input!
01-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you use any similar sigma/tamron 70-200mm before? I am wondering if I could find someone that used the tamron and upgraded to the Pentax. I would like to hear their opinion.

I emailed Sigma and asked them if they could produce their 70-200mm for the pentax K mount again

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/337555-sal...ersion-ff.html

Maybe ask Weevil..... I have the last Sigma.... like this one....
01-12-2017, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

How will it hold up while it's bouncin' around in my padded bag?
Is it just a matter of bounces and nudges that will put this lens off?
A padded camera bag will be much softer and safer for a lens than a thin cardboard box being thrown/kicked around in the back of delivery vans and airplane cargo holds for a few days. The 'shock profile' of each environment is likely to be vastly different.

User induced bounces, nudges and knocks generally shouldn't be much of an issue for a pro-grade lens like the Pentax 70-200, I imagine. Most of the 70-200 f2.8's on the market are designed and built for work, so are pretty tough. But there are limits on how much abuse they can take, of course.

01-12-2017, 01:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

If this one doesn't work I think Pentax should comp me 2 K1 bodies for my trouble.
Cant see that this is a problem made by Pentax? I have tested a few versions, all tack sharp and fast..Even my old pre-copy of 70-200 was fast and sharp from the box. Even though its made to work best on K-1, it should be just as good on K-3/K-3II. I started to test 70-200 almost a year before K-1 was released.

For me, this seems like a case of bad handling by Amazon. Just keep up with documenting everything. It shouldn't be like this.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 09:52 AM ----------

Maybe I should get my money back from Amazon and try B&H.
I would do that.
01-12-2017, 04:11 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience is with one copy only.
Best. Glass. Ever.
No contest - and I have a few decent lenses.
01-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Best. Glass. Ever.
Same here. It is so damn good and sharp. Love using it!
01-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I wonder how many decentering, etc issues are actually due to improper handling (when shipping).
One reason I like to buy from a physical store (fortunately I can do that).
01-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comment Winder it's your comment and others like it that are going to make me give it another shot.
If only you had followed proper procedure like the rest of us Iowans do when purchasing new Pentax lenses you could have saved yourself the headache of returning so many units to Amazon. Simply follow these steps:

1) Drive to the Quad City Airport and purchase a round trip plane ticket to New York, New York. $1,200
2) Stay at a hotel near bhphotovideo for a few days so you can try half a dozen lenses before you get a "good" one. $850
3) Food,travel expenses, etc. $600

So for a mere $2,650 plus time off work of course you could have had your new Pentax lens. Why must you make this so hard on yourself?
Then simply submit your $2,650 expense (plus time off work) to Richo Pentax lens quality control department. I'm still waiting for my reimbursement after 3 years but hey it's the thought that counts right?
01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Best. Glass. Ever.
You sure do have a few decent lenses!
You have the K3 still? Have you used the 70-200mm with the K3?
Everyone really loves this lens, and I have seen some awesome test shots. Can't figure out why I can't.

Going to post some test shots this afternoon.

---------- Post added 01-13-2017 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If only you had followed proper procedure like the rest of us Iowans do when purchasing new Pentax lenses you could have saved yourself the headache of returning so many units to Amazon. Simply follow these steps:

1) Drive to the Quad City Airport and purchase a round trip plane ticket to New York, New York. $1,200
2) Stay at a hotel near bhphotovideo for a few days so you can try half a dozen lenses before you get a "good" one. $850
3) Food,travel expenses, etc. $600

So for a mere $2,650 plus time off work of course you could have had your new Pentax lens. Why must you make this so hard on yourself?
Then simply submit your $2,650 expense (plus time off work) to Richo Pentax lens quality control department. I'm still waiting for my reimbursement after 3 years but hey it's the thought that counts right?
You know that's not really a bad idea...

I would pay $100 extra for someone to do this:
get a copy from B&H
test it for sharpness/decentering/AF that sort of thing
gauge it to other test shots
package it properly
ship it to me
01-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #44
Pentaxian

You sure do have a few decent lenses!
You have the K3 still? Have you used the 70-200mm with the K3?
Everyone really loves this lens, and I have seen some awesome test shots. Can't figure out why I can't.

Going to post some test shots this afternoon.

---------- Post added 01-13-2017 at 01:35 AM ----------

You know that's not really a bad idea...

I would pay $100 extra for someone to do this:
get a copy from B&H
test it for sharpness/decentering/AF that sort of thing
gauge it to other test shots
package it properly
ship it to me
That IS a good idea. Some enterprising young fellow who lives close to bhphotovideo would simply "try on" dozens of lenses on a test camera either a Pentax aps-c or the full frame K-1 and choose the one lens that actually does pass quality control and mail it out to you for a nominal fee. Then it would be up to bhphotovideo to send the other 11 or how ever many sub-par lenses back to Richo. Perfect!
01-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #45

Original Poster
little testing

a few test shots and video

This looks pretty dim, but it was actually pretty well lit.

Lens1

Lens2

Lens1
No settings change and AF was way different.

Lens2
Not sure if it's about AF adjustment or just general inconsistency.

As always thanks for any input and all input. You guys always help me out when I need it and I really do appreciate it!

These images don't seem to bad. It's a general inconsistency of things that really bothers me. I know the glass is capable of sharp images. I have taken some with both of those lenses. Just got to be the right distance from subject and the AF lands on the right spot you can get a nice shot. It just is oddly inconsistent. If I was using this for shooting a football game for example. There are so many variables in play already, to tack on a hit&miss lens too would make it even more frustrating.

Trying to get a hold of Amazon, but there automated thing says contact Pentax for repair. Anyone have a good Amazon contact?

Thanks,
Randy