Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Pentax D FA* 70-200MM observations and concerns

** The below is just some observations and pixel peeping, not scientific in any respect. I will do some testing over the weekend. **

Just got my new Pentax D FA* 70-200mm. This day represents about 9 months of selling lenses and saving money for me. It's the most money I have ever spent on piece of camera gear. I saw the price drop on Amazon and jumped on it.

When I opened the amazon box, I noticed the Pentax box had packing tape to keep it shut. As I took off the bubble wrap and opened the case, I got the feeling that it had been opened before. However, there wasn't any smudges on it or fingerprints.

I attached it to my K3 and took some shots around the front room, since it was already dark outside. I immediately noticed the autofocus was off. I had to adjust it to +7 to get it in range. Then the depth of field was accurate to my center AF point. However, I noticed the AF was somewhat slow. I know my room was dimly lit, but surprised it wasn't as fast as my Tamron 70-200mm. It would zip to around the distance, and then hunt for a second or so. Just a bit disappointing as I was hoping to get an improved AF over the Tamron.

When I take an image with one of my limited lenses, like the 77mm for example. The detail is impressive. It's like the lens is offering more detail than the sensor can capture. Same thing my Vivitar series 1 macro 105mm. That thing produces so much detail, it's awe inspiring. I was hoping to be impressed with the Pentax 70-200mm, especially because of the price, weight, and size of this thing. About that, I was expecting a heavy lens, but I wasn't really expecting that much. My wrist/shoulder was sore just from a half hour of holding it. A monopod will definitely be required for longer shoots.

I snapped a couple shots of the window frame.

Here is a crop of the Pentax 70-200mm

Here is a crop of my Tamron 70-200mm

The tamron seemed to be a bit darker with the same settings.
I raised the exposure 1/2 stop PP.

The Pentax is better, no doubt about it.
I searched the forums for some ideas on testing the lens, and will do some testing over the weekend. Perhaps I just had too high of expectations for this lens. Like going on a date with the girl you had a crush on forever, reality didn't meet the expectations? I will take some shots and post them here. As I previewed this post I see the Pentax is sharp, I am not sure why I thought it wasn't performing last night. I guess I was just started stacking up my concerns. The odd tape job, the AF micro-adjustment, the hunting AF, and then what I thought were some not tack sharp shots. Was thinking I better return it to see if I could get a better copy. It's probably fine though.
I would imagine the quality assurance on a lens like this would have to be very critical. Not sure if the quality could fluctuate very much?

Thank you for any input and for reading my ramblings.

01-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Then it must be something wrong with your copy..Even though its made to work best on K-1. 70-200 is the fastest lense by far. At least on K-1. I have tested mine on K-3, K-3II and K-1..2 different camerahouses for each. Didn't have to adjust anything..Sharp as *******..And fast..But maybe a tad faster on K-1 then K-3 and K-3II...
01-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd get it exchanged, since there's not supposed to be any sort of tape on the box. It was tampered with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2017, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Wow, thanks kenspo and Adam! Really appreciate the fast and helpful responses.
I'll take some shots on a tripod tonight and send it back tomorrow.
We will see if the new copy responds any better!

Thanks!

01-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Clinton Iowa? I just left there to head back downtown Davenport. Nice to see other fellow Pentaxians
01-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure I remember right but was there a firmware update for K-3 series to help AF with the DFA lenses? Or am I wrong.

Seems suspicious that the box might have been open. I would do thorough testing in better light first but probably return it and complain to Amazon
01-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Clinton Iowa? I just left there to head back downtown Davenport. Nice to see other fellow Pentaxians
So you are from Davenport? I am usually there a couple times a month. Shoot at scott county park sometimes, know of any good places to shoot!?

---------- Post added 01-06-2017 at 05:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure I remember right but was there a firmware update for K-3 series to help AF with the DFA lenses? Or am I wrong.

Seems suspicious that the box might have been open. I would do thorough testing in better light first but probably return it and complain to Amazon
I will see what version I am and if I am due for a firmware upgrade. I thought I was at 1.3 and that looks to be the latest.

01-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just went through the Amazon return thing, very slick.
They are sending me a replacement immediately and sent me a label to ship the possibly defective one back.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will keep you posted.
01-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
know of any good places to shoot!?
I'm usually along the River on the bike path between Davenport and Bettendorf.
01-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
** The below is just some observations and pixel peeping, not scientific in any respect. I will do some testing over the weekend. **

Just got my new Pentax D FA* 70-200mm. This day represents about 9 months of selling lenses and saving money for me. It's the most money I have ever spent on piece of camera gear. I saw the price drop on Amazon and jumped on it.

When I opened the amazon box, I noticed the Pentax box had packing tape to keep it shut. As I took off the bubble wrap and opened the case, I got the feeling that it had been opened before. However, there wasn't any smudges on it or fingerprints.

I attached it to my K3 and took some shots around the front room, since it was already dark outside. I immediately noticed the autofocus was off. I had to adjust it to +7 to get it in range. Then the depth of field was accurate to my center AF point. However, I noticed the AF was somewhat slow. I know my room was dimly lit, but surprised it wasn't as fast as my Tamron 70-200mm. It would zip to around the distance, and then hunt for a second or so. Just a bit disappointing as I was hoping to get an improved AF over the Tamron.

When I take an image with one of my limited lenses, like the 77mm for example. The detail is impressive. It's like the lens is offering more detail than the sensor can capture. Same thing my Vivitar series 1 macro 105mm. That thing produces so much detail, it's awe inspiring. I was hoping to be impressed with the Pentax 70-200mm, especially because of the price, weight, and size of this thing. About that, I was expecting a heavy lens, but I wasn't really expecting that much. My wrist/shoulder was sore just from a half hour of holding it. A monopod will definitely be required for longer shoots.

I snapped a couple shots of the window frame.

Here is a crop of the Pentax 70-200mm

Here is a crop of my Tamron 70-200mm

The tamron seemed to be a bit darker with the same settings.
I raised the exposure 1/2 stop PP.

The Pentax is better, no doubt about it.
I searched the forums for some ideas on testing the lens, and will do some testing over the weekend. Perhaps I just had too high of expectations for this lens. Like going on a date with the girl you had a crush on forever, reality didn't meet the expectations? I will take some shots and post them here. As I previewed this post I see the Pentax is sharp, I am not sure why I thought it wasn't performing last night. I guess I was just started stacking up my concerns. The odd tape job, the AF micro-adjustment, the hunting AF, and then what I thought were some not tack sharp shots. Was thinking I better return it to see if I could get a better copy. It's probably fine though.
I would imagine the quality assurance on a lens like this would have to be very critical. Not sure if the quality could fluctuate very much?

Thank you for any input and for reading my ramblings.
it sounds like that lens has been out and back. and I'd wager jt was that +7 adjustment you had to make. IMO it needs to go back. the tape on the box is a dead giveaway someone couldn't get it back in the packaging properly and taped it hoping no one would notice. my 2 cents for what its worth.
01-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks nitehntr!
I tried it again tonight, hoping it was some weird problem due to the adjustment of temperature.
Focus is still off, but it seemed a bit sharper. Still not impressive, but noticeably better than my Tamron.
When I look at the samples here:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Sample Photos | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Even the ones at f2.8 seem really sharp.
I honestly don't think I am being picky, however with the money invested I have to be.
I wish I could hold on to the possibly defective one after the new one comes to compare the 2.
01-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For that kind of coin you have every right to expect a brand new factory fresh unmolested lens with no questions marks hanging over it.
I'm glad Amazon is stepping up, but I suspect your lens will get sent right out to someone else, and then maybe someone else again...... until someone doesn't return it.

You may want to record the serial number in the database as an interesting experiment to see where this lens end up... kind of like a message in a bottle
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested:
It came today, pretty fast for a replacement from Amazon.
Surprised they didn't put it in a box. So I might be cursed when it comes to this lens.
I am guessing B&H or Adorama would have come better packaged.

01-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #14

That is how mine was shipped from Amazon Canada. The postman was a Pentax shooter so we talked for a few minutes.
01-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Ok, so hows the new one compare to the old one?