Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
There is always an issue here about whats to be done about the homeless. Sadly I think it leans more toward hiding not helping.

To ease the mind of the veiwers I will say that care was taken to respect these individuals.

08-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I love the fountain picture. The homeless pictures are of a different genre. Whereas I am attracted to the technical details of the fountain, I feel the homeless pictures act as a catalyst and act on the viewer. Having worked over the years with homeless, I never ceased to be amazed by the depth of wisdom (and character) that many share if you take the time to converse with them. It is also amazing how many of them ended up in the homeless condition through a series of mishaps (many of which were not self-inflicted.) If these pictures move just one person to work (support) in a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc., then they are well done.
Yes, that is my point. Over the past 8 years, I have spent quite a bit of time with the homeless, from making hundreds, thousands of sandwiches to clothes drives...While I sat there one day a couple of years back, ''wishing'' I could do more, I ended up taking it one person at a time. I know have a regular family of folks who live in a near by park, whom I take food to a few times a week and I especially remember them during the holidays...This past thanksgiving was great...I went by polo loco and bought a huge meal and took it to them. My son and I sat down and shared that meal with them and it was great...I say this not to brag, as I rarely talk about this, but to bring awareness that there is a real need out there....

I am but just one person and can only do so much, but like Mith said, you would be amazed at how much wisdom some of these folks have...and how they ended up with out a home...It can happen to any one of us...While I have taken many pictures of homeless folks, I take them for the purpose of printing them and going back and passing the photos back to the person whom the picture belongs to...I do this because it brings great joy to them in that it reminds them they are people too, no less than you and I....

By the way, Money is not a good idea to give most..What they need most is food, clothes and the fellowship of people....to let them know they matter and are NOT junk, but they are loved...

Sorry for hijacking the thread..
08-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No apologies necessary jgredline. I actually appreciate your concern as do I also from the others. They have a on going project to end homelessness withinin the next 10 years here in Seattle. I guess I can try to be optimistic.

Interaction was brief for the most part because I was probably as nervous as they were. The Airforce vet wanted to make sure his sign was in the picture. I ran into quite a few camera shy folks but for the most part I could kind of sense those more willing to participate.

I do hope do something with all this and in the end I hope I am not the only one that benefits. It is not only the character in their faces that draw me there. Without giving to much background I will say I am truely blessed to be on this side of the viewfinder.

"Reflection"

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-05-2008 at 08:26 PM.
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
No apologies necessary jgredline. I actually appreciate your concern as do I also from the others. They have a on going project to end homelessness withinin the next 10 years here in Seattle. I guess I can try to be optimistic.
[/B]
Oh? What town are they going to relocate them to?

08-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Wonderful documentary series.
Unfortunately it raises the question "what century are we living in?".
Question is, what was documented?
08-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #21

My Tamron has finally arrived.

Some test shots...

08-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sweet! Congrats