Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA35 vs FA50, a quick image survey...

I'm still not sure about the DA35; it's better than my first reaction warranted, but I still can't decide if it's a good walk-around lens.

Below are two quick and dirty images, both 100% crops, both combining the DA35 and FA50 f/1.4.

The first is up close and personal and the second at infinity, both at f/5.6 and unedited.

So, which is which?
FHPhotog

08-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the first set the one on the left is from DA 35. On the second set the one on the right is DA 35. I'm saying this because I remember mine exposed a little darker than the FA 50. A little bit richer colors too.
08-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the first time you nail a photo at F1.4 that deserves its own art gallery, you will realize the hidden benefit of always having the ability to shoot such a thin DOF

resolving figures might sway you one way or the other

but i have owned the FA35 2.0, and sold it, and no i'm seriously considering selling my FA43 in favor of my newly purchased FA50

there is no poitn comparing them, the DA35 is a macro lens, and should be used as such... trying to have one replace the other is silly.
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
In the first set the one on the left is from DA 35. On the second set the one on the right is DA 35. I'm saying this because I remember mine exposed a little darker than the FA 50. A little bit richer colors too.
My guess too (and also my experience with the 2 lenses).

Radu

08-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OP response...

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

there is no poitn comparing them, the DA35 is a macro lens, and should be used as such... trying to have one replace the other is silly.
Don't want to be too much of a crank, but it doesn't seem silly from down here. I have a limited budget that extended to the K100 and a 50 f/1.4...plus room for one more good lens. If it isn't the DA35, then it has to go back so another lens can come in. The whole point of this excercise is get as much input from the knowledgable folks here on the forum to see if there is a better alternative than the DA35 for that one good, general walk-around lens.
FHPhotog
08-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, but that's the question...

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
... of your current lenses, would you be comfortable with the Tamron 28-75 as that one general, walk-around lens for most of the shots you take ? Would it give you image quality close enough to the those two primes, when added to the convenience, that you could do without the 50 and 70mm you have listed?
FHPhotog
08-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #7

As a prime walkaround lens, I find the DA35 Macro excellent.

I wanted a prime that was close to the standard lens of 35mm cameras (50mm) and the DA35 is very close (52.5mm). After all, for many of us it was the focal length we used for most photography.

The DA35 is sharp, light and is a true 1:1 macro - although you have to get very, very close to your subject to utilise 1:1. Like all primes it makes you think more about composition than zooms (which I also use) and that is not a bad thing.

Like all things though, it is a matter of personal preference. But no matter how you look at it the DA35 is an excellent piece of glass!

08-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the da35 macro and fa50 1.7. both are excellent imo, just different, that's why i have both. as a walk around, the 35 is on the camera. since i use the k20d and it offers versatility, i'm satisfied with both lenses. don't and probably won't own the fa 50 1.4, so i can't comment on its abilities. if i was on a limited budget, with a k100, and like to shoot street or wide, i think i'd go for the 50 1.4 and a wide prime in the 14-21mm range.

Last edited by ivoire; 08-04-2008 at 06:17 AM.
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
... of your current lenses, would you be comfortable with the Tamron 28-75 as that one general, walk-around lens for most of the shots you take ? Would it give you image quality close enough to the those two primes, when added to the convenience, that you could do without the 50 and 70mm you have listed?
FHPhotog

I compared the DA 35 and the Tammy by taking many portraits of a friend. Once I turned up the contrast on Tammy's pictures by one notch in PP I could not tell the difference. So I did not see any point in keeping the DA 35 as I don't shoot macros. So I sold it. I did the same comparison between FA 50 and the Tammy and got the same results. The FA 50 can go but I am keeping it because of the low cost.

The Tammy is also very close to the DA 70mm. But the DA is very special lens and it's much better at F2.8. Because I shoot a lot of head protraits I am definitely keeping the DA 70mm.
08-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i would choose the darker photo in each.
there have been numerous comments made about the darker exposures from the DA35

the tamron 28-75 is really excellent if you can get a good copy
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have the fa 50mm and have a DA 35 on the way to compliment it.
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just reading your other thread about the 31mm Ltd. I have both it and the FA 50/1.4. I've never shot the DA 35/2.8 macro, but I have a Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 for macro. Personally, I wouldn't trade the 31 Ltd for any lens out there, it's just that good. From build quality to image IQ, flare control, to bokeh. I can force some purple fringing but that is the only fault I can come up with and I have to work to get that. IMHO, if you want another outstanding lens to go along with your FA 50/1.4, get the 31 Ltd. If you don't need the macro abilities of the 35/2.8, get the faster 31/1.8 and you'll never need worry if the lens is "good enough".
If you take a crappy pic with the 31, rest assured, it's YOUR fault:-).
Another point. There is just "something" about the 31. It's a totol package. I have a DA* 300/4 and the build quality of it is awesome, a beautiful lens.
It doesn't hold a candle to the 31Ltd. I have Super Takumars and SMC Takumars, the smoothest manual focusing lens I've handled and while the manual focusing abilities of the 31 Ltd can't surpass the Takumars, it's materials and workmanship surely does and this is saying something because the Takumars are no slouches with their build qualities.
But you have to take my words with a grain of salt. I worked my tail off for this lens last winter, a lot of overtime hours. When I bought it I was worried about spending so much money on a lens, whether it was the "responsible" thing to do. When I opened it up and handled it all my doubts slipped away because I realized I was holding a real work of art.