Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Post #7 by umc indicates that he has been collecting images off ebay of quite a few variants of this 90-230mm lens....I wonder if he might show some of them on the forum or forward them to goatsNdonkey for further information for him....
The problem is that I don't own the copyright of all those pictures. I started building a catalogue of K-mount lenses from pure curiosity only, never thinking about publishing it. Now I have approx. 100000 images of 4500 K-mount lenses and another 4500 images of universal mount lenses on my harddisks and I consider myself stupid not to think twice and ask for permission upfront....

However, tomorrow I'll prepare something in my onedrive and I'll send a link via private messages.

01-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
The problem is that I don't own the copyright of all those pictures. I started building a catalogue of K-mount lenses from pure curiosity only, never thinking about publishing it. Now I have approx. 100000 images of 4500 K-mount lenses and another 4500 images of universal mount lenses on my harddisks and I consider myself stupid not to think twice and ask for permission upfront....

However, tomorrow I'll prepare something in my onedrive and I'll send a link via private messages.
I agree. It is one thing to collect such images for personal reference, but quite another to post them on a public website.

I will try to pull together a list of links to info about the 90-230, and maybe I that can also show some of the variations. Of course, if a few more PF members come forward, pictures of their lenses could fill in some gaps. I also hope to snap a few outdoor pictures tomorrow. I couldn't today.
01-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are a few outdoor, hand-held shots from mid-afternoon today. Lighting was rather flat, varying from brighter-hazy-cloudiness to grayer states. In mid-afternoon in early January here the sun is starting to get low. On some of shots I was pushing either hand-holding shutter speed for the focal length or bright enough light to focus easily, especially considering I had parked the aperture at f8. In case the lens is a marginal performer I wanted to give it a reasonable chance of showing what it can. Besides who needs another report of a zoom being "soft wide open"?

Camera=K110D. ISO=200 All the shots are in-camera JPEGs with the "Natural" profile selected and the other settings zeroed. I did need to use a little exposure correction in Shotwell viewer program on most of them, but no sharpening. The pix are pairs, with the first one at 90mm and the next one at 230mm. Focus point is near the center of the frame. These are all the pairs I shot. A few really bad exposures have been left out, but none of the subjects. I didn't want to skew results by leaving out subjects that looked worse.

End of pairs.

What surprises me most, is that the results seem better at 230mm, the hardest length to hand-hold, considering that a few times the light required me to go down to 1/160th of a second shutter speed. I would have assumed that the 90mm end would have been better, if they were not about the same.

I hope a few other PF owners of the lens will be able to supply some test exposures of other kinds, in other lighting. I will next try some shots with extension tubes.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 01-08-2017 at 03:55 PM.
01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #34

I have one of these lenses that I only use at 230mm (it's my longest lens). However it's really soft at wider apertures and for me only takes good photos at f8 and above. Still a good lens though

01-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
I have one of these lenses that I only use at 230mm (it's my longest lens). However it's really soft at wider apertures and for me only takes good photos at f8 and above. Still a good lens though
Do you find your copy of the lens sharper at 230mm that at 90mm? That seems to be the case with mine. Although some of the difference between contrast in the first two pairs of pix above I think came from the light changing, The 230mm pictures all see noticeably sharper. On the other hand, I think the lens has better infinity focus at 90mm, based on just looking through it out the window on that day that was too cold to try first pictures with it outside.

It would be great if you could try a few new pictures with your copy and comment on them.
01-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it is pretty much as easy as Rob Nunn says. Slap some tube extenders on the non-close-focusing Tokina-made 4.5/90-230, and it close-focuses very nicely. Here's a picture of my Sears-labeled fixed-mount m42 screw mount version of the lens, plus 48mm of Miida extension tubes, mounted on the front of my Pentax K110D. For scale, I've included, behind the 90-230, the also-Tokina-made Sears f4.5 75-260mm Close-focusing lens (fixed K-mnt vers.) and in front of the 90-230, the also-Tokina-made Vivitar f3.8 75-205 Close-focusing lens (fixed m42 mnt vers.) The former is interesting to PFers, partly because Sagitta has stated elsewhere on the forum that nobody is going to get his copy of that lens from him unless they pry it from his cold, dead fingers. The latter is important to me because I bought it new in or around 1978, and I still have the '78 Vivitar lens catalog I picked it out from. Interestingly, looking back at that catalog, I've discovered that the Close-focusing version of the 90-230 is listed in the TX mount lens section. The specs say that it is a favorite of photojournalists, and also that it is 6 inches long. That makes it far shorter, and I suspect a very different optical animal from the non-close-focusing 90-230 like mine. Even if that 6 inches doesn't include the adapter, with adapter that would make the length similar to the 6.5 inch 75-205 in front here:

Unlike Nunn's "macro" shots using extension, which used a tripod, the following are hand-held, using the K110D's onboard flash for lighting. (You can see my table for using the flash with manual lenses taped to the camera body.) These are all shot around f8, mainly to get the right exposure though also in hopes of getting enough DOF at the magnification. I either started with the focus ring at infinity or at the closest focus setting, but did focusing by a combination of turning the zoom ring (as Nunn describes) or moving me and the camera. Generally, I was using the zoom ring somewhere between the 180 and 230 markings. These were all shot from about 3 feet away from the subjects (30-40 inches):

While it is a heavy and a bit more cumbersome when adding extension, if using the lens with a little extension affords the possibility of shooting some decent handheld close-focus shots (given sufficient lighting) it seems worth not only remembering but worth occasional use. I may try it reversed next for some true macro, though I suspect using it that way will require unburying my old copystand down in the basement.

To save time for anyone wanting to refer again to Rob Nunn's remarks about using the lens with extension, I'll repost the link to his blog posting. If you haven't clicked on the first picture, it plays his very low-tech video talking about using the lens that way. It is obviously pitched to the amateur photographer who might have just found one of these lenses at a charity store or car boot sale (that's thrift store or flea market to Yanks like me), and talks a bit more than than shows what to do. While not really much more informative about anything than main body of blog post, the video had me hankering to have a pint with the bloke down at the the nearest pub and trade stories about finding photography equipment items at junk shops and so forth. Of course, the best argument for using the lens as he suggests are his sample pictures in the blog, which have links below them to larger versions.

robnunnphoto.com - Posts / Home - Soligor 90-230mm f/4.5 M42 Manual Focus Zoom LensReview

Lastly, here is another link with info about this lens and with some background about the Tokina-Vivitar-Soligor collaboration in developing the TX mount system. There are also images of early Vivitar ads featuring this lens and playing up the advantages of having a T-4 interchangeable mount. This webpage does mention a later close-focusing version very briefly. As I mentioned early in this post, a "TX"-mount version of it was being offered by Vivitar in 1978.

Vivitar T-4 90-230mm f/4.5 Tele-Zoom - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 01-11-2017 at 10:32 AM.
01-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not had time to play with my Tokina made Vivitar 90-230mm close focus version lens but I can say a little;
It is a little longer than 6".
It sharpens up nicely when stopped down (bet you didn't expect that statement.....).
It seems a bit lacking in contrast (but this may be my copy and I need some sunny weather to firm up my opinion).
Seems pretty good in close focus.
I cannot remember where I saw it mentioned, but it cost in excess of $300 when new....I might be wrong.....so not exactly a budget lens aimed at the "cheap telephoto" consumer.

Is there such a thing as a P-KA TX mount? I don't believe so and hopefully someone will put me right if I am wrong.
I wonder if marcusBMG has used any of the various options to this lens? He has posted quite few legacy zoom lens reviews and it would not surprise me if he has used one.
I look forward to seeing more from goatsNdonkey.

01-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

good one

I have that lens on my shelf used it with my old spotty camera. It's heavy but still good to use.

01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A lens review could be as simple as taking what you've already posted and copy-pasting it into a PF lens review. It doesn't have to involve coordinated testing or anything scientific. You've obviously got experience with photography and with this lens and that's all that needed for a PF lens review -- your opinion of the lens and your opinion of how it seems to rate in your experience.

My only fear is that without an entry in the PF lens database, this lens will continue to seem like a forgotten lens.
Yes, that's what I do when I run across a lens with no reviews or entry. I post a photo and whatever description I can gather, even if I have never personally handled or owned the lens. That way, someone can see the lens: 1) exists; and 2) find a place to put their comments if they ever use one or own one.

Sometimes I end up owning a lens that's not there. Usually not, but creating the entry is important for tracking all the possible lenses.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote

Is there such a thing as a P-KA TX mount? I don't believe so and hopefully someone will put me right if I am wrong.
I do not believe there was ever a P-KA TX mount. By the time the 'A' mount debuted, Vivitar had moved on from the TX system. And the original TX lens side of the mount had no electrical provisions.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote

Could they be posted with the somewhat common disclaimer: "These images have been gathered over time from the Internet. If one is yours and/or you do not wish it to be posted, please contact abc@123.com and we will remove it." ? If it is not for an overtly commercial purpose, is there an issue?
01-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
I have that lens on my shelf used it with my old spotty camera. It's heavy but still good to use.

When you were using yours with the Spotmatic, what did you most often make use of it for? What was it especially "good to use" for?

Is your's the non-close-focusing version? Was it a Vivitar, Soligor, or what?
01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just spotted the newer screwmount version on fleaBay. It IS the grandaddy of my lens!

Sears 90-230m M42

Sears 75-260mm K-mount
01-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sun came out today and brought a squirrel into the garden to check out the bird feeder. A couple of snaps with the 90-230mm and a look into the optics found a fair amount of fungus was present and this is what was reducing the performance and contrast of the lens.
Luckily the squirrel hung about for my Tamron SP 60-300mm to get an image that was preferable.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 12-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
01-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a rough draft of Tokina-made 90-230mm lens specifications I have tracked down on the internet. Different specifications reported for the Close-focusing version are indicated in DARK RED . Those of you with copies of the lens, let me know of variations.

[2 days later I am adding different specs for a late Vivitar-labeled version of the NON-close-focusing 90-230 using the Vivitar TX interchangeable mount. Note it's closest focus point is nearer than the normal mode of the close-focusing 90-230mm. Unless noted, specs are the same as the earlier non-close-focusing version. The additions are in this Purple.]

MANUFACTURER: Tokina

LABELS: Soligor, Vivitar, Sears, Hannimex, several others....

MOUNTS: T-4, TX, Fixed m42, possibly others... -- TX -- TX, possibly others...

EARLIEST DATE: Circa 1969 -- Unknown -- Unknown

FOCAL LENGTH RANGE: 90-230MM -- 90-230mm, plus CF mode turning zoom ring below 90mm position

APERTURE RANGE: f/4-22

DIAPHRAGM TYPE: Automatic

DIAPHRAGM BLADE NO.: 8

OPTICAL FORMULA: 11 elements / 7 groups -- 13 elements / 9 groups

FRONT ROTATES WHEN FOCUSING : Yes

MINIMUM FOCUSING DISTANCE: 2.4m (less than 8 ft) -- 1.4m (4ft 10in) -- 2m (6.2 ft) in normal mode, 43cm (17 in) in CF mode

FILTER SIZE: 58mm or 62mm -- 62mm

LENGTH: 20.3cm (8 in) -- "Length varies with adapter" -- 16.5 cm (6.5)

WEIGHT: 915g (32.38oz) -- 867g (30.0oz) -- 794g (28oz)

HOOD: Built-in retractable

TRIPOD MOUNT: Yes

Considering the magnitude of differences between the original and the close-focusing versions, the later seems to me to be a d i f f e r e n t lens, even if it is based on the original version in certain fundamental ways.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 01-15-2017 at 04:01 PM.
01-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Do you find your copy of the lens sharper at 230mm that at 90mm? That seems to be the case with mine. Although some of the difference between contrast in the first two pairs of pix above I think came from the light changing, The 230mm pictures all see noticeably sharper. On the other hand, I think the lens has better infinity focus at 90mm, based on just looking through it out the window on that day that was too cold to try first pictures with it outside.

It would be great if you could try a few new pictures with your copy and comment on them.
I'll have to take it out. I find at all focal ranges it's good, but only if I stop down to f8 for some reason. It's very soft at higher apertures throughout the focal range
01-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
I'll have to take it out. I find at all focal ranges it's good, but only if I stop down to f8 for some reason. It's very soft at higher apertures throughout the focal range

Going from f4.5 to f8 is less that two full stops. It would be hard to count the number of lens reviews that say the lens in question is better stopped down two stops.

It would be great if you have a chance to try the lens out again and see how it performs, and do post some samples of whatever kind of results you get.

---------- Post added 01-15-17 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Just spotted the newer screwmount version on fleaBay. It IS the grandaddy of my lens!

Sears 90-230m M42

Sears 75-260mm K-mount
Dang, Sagitta, I went and did it! I bought one of those fleaBay close-focus versions, to compare to my non-close-focusing one. Remember, originally I was thinking of getting rid of the one I have, but did want to test it out first and compare notes with others who had it or had used it, all of which got me browsing the web and wondering why no PF review if it had been as common of a lens as some said. BUT NOW I'm going to have two of them!

The one I'm getting is labeled Asanuma, and looks like the picture you posted.