Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

da 70mm ltd barrel play

I have noticed that the barrel has about .3mm play both sideways and forward in my 70mm lens purchases one month ago. Will this movement have any effect on my images? Should I ask Pentax for a replacement? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Mike

08-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a feeling what you are referring to is the lens hood that is shaped like a small cylinder and you have to pull it out when you need to use the hood and then you slide it back in. Just go ahead and grab it with two fingers from both sides and gently pull it out for about 20mm (from memory) until it stops. Than slide it back in.
08-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick reply. I assure you it is not the lens hood but the actual barrel that is sloppy. It rattles too.

Mike
08-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just checked mine and it has maybe 1mm of play, certainly has no effect on picture quality.. Whether yours is outside normal tolerances I can't say, have you noticed any problems with your pictures?

08-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #5

I have a similar amount of play in mine. I was worried about it when I first received it as Amazon (or their vendor) had shipped it in a screwy way - the lens box was in a large outer box with lots of their inflatable padding....but the lens box was stuck in one corner of the box with absolutely no padding on 4 of its six sides! Grrr. I ran tests on it and it seems to be fine. I haven't noticed any issues with the play causing image defects.
08-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Alright guys. Check this out. The lens hood and the body are two pieces that are serewed together. Grab the ring that has the writing on it and if you turn it counter clockwise the whole hood assembly will come off. If you screw it clockwise then it becomes tight. If it screwed in half way it wobbles.
08-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think some of the forward play is due to the quick shift focus ring, it feels very loose but on mine at least side to side is tight enough, only a nige of play a bit less than 1mm. With the hood on it feels even looser as it seems to amplify the looseness but the lens focuses fine.

08-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

this question's been brought up before without any resolution prior either
seems like you're not alone in this sentiment

there have been some bad cases of DA70 QC, some of it was mentioned in a thread about what you don't like about pentax lenses, i believe started by creampuff
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have similar problems with many older prime lenses. Tighten the ring, but DONT OVERTIGHTEN IT. If you overtighten it it weakens screws further inside the lens. Then you'rre screwed and your lens will never be tight again.

good luck
08-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
I have similar problems with many older prime lenses. Tighten the ring, but DONT OVERTIGHTEN IT. If you overtighten it it weakens screws further inside the lens. Then you'rre screwed and your lens will never be tight again.

good luck
Which ring?
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine's a rock. Fabulous lens. Zero evident play.

Somebody's comment about "1mm" indicates an absolutely terrible lens...that or extreme foolishness.
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't let the 77ltd camp hear about this. It will start another endless rant about which is better, the 70ltd or the 77ltd...
08-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When the lens barrel become too loose, it might end up like this:

This is my friend DA 70. It's glass group just fell out of the housing by itself when he was shooting his kids w/ the lens and camera pointed straight down ...
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. I have had my camera checked a number of times for back and front focus problems. They said the lens was ok so adjusted focus in the body. Firstly Pentax fixed the front focus issue. Then it back focused so they fixed that. But I find the focusing inconsistent so I am wondering if this loose element could cause this. I am reluctant to do this but have decided to take it to Pentax and I would rather have a replacement than have them fiddle around with it.

Thanks again for your comments

Mike
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is my friend DA 70. It's glass group just fell out of the housing by itself when he was shooting his kids w/ the lens and camera pointed straight down ...[/QUOTE]

I assume they replaced it.

I took mine to Pentax and even though they agreed that it had too much play they wouldn't give me a replacement- I've only had it a month. They're going to try to fix it.
It's a matter of build quality they should replace it. After having to return my camera body several times for focusing problems I'm worried that I'm will be left with a piece of junk.

So while they have that lens I've returned to using my 50mm lens. Forgotten how much I like this lens.

Mike