Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How is your 16-50 autofocus accuracy in S-AF?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else has trouble with their AF accuracy on 16-50, specifically in PDAF. It's not a matter of front or back-focus, it just fails a great deal of time, and almost always when using focus points in the corners. It looks great in CDAF, which makes me think it is not mechanics. Anyone got similar experiences?

01-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the 16-50, however... As you're probably aware, only three middle focus points of the K-3 (that's what you're using, yes?) have a focus sensitivity of f/2.8. The rest - including those in the corners - are rated, I think, at f/5.6, so focusing using those points won't be as consistently precise. I suspect that might be what you're experiencing, and you may notice the problem on any fast lens at wider apertures when using anything but the three central focus points.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-12-2017 at 01:39 AM.
01-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought so too, initially, but often it is off even at f8, and by a lot. It's to a point where landscape shots are unsharp if I use corner focus points. I wonder if this has happened to anyone before.
01-12-2017, 03:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I thought so too, initially, but often it is off even at f8, and by a lot. It's to a point where landscape shots are unsharp if I use corner focus points. I wonder if this has happened to anyone before.
Hmm... that is a bit odd. Does it happen in good lighting? My Sigma 17-50 sometimes needs a second AF cycle to focus accurately on outer focus points in less-than-stellar light. I've taken to focusing twice out of habit...

01-21-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently converted a working 50-135 that had significant focus issues on SDM to screwdrive. The owner wanted to see if this could improve with Screwdrive- it DID! the change was pretty dramatic. So while it might not help; if you can I suggest trying.
01-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I often have trouble autofocusing my 16-50 towards the short end. It'll often front focus 1-2 meter. I've learnt to anticipate it and work around it by doing the zoom-in-focus-zoom-out-again thing.

I've also experienced the phenomenon described by the OP, with all focus points. I attribute that to an old worn SDM drive.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is important to note that the lens I mentioned above was not sluggish nor squeaking. I compared it to my own 50-135 and the difference on SDM with it giving up on tough focusing situations was clearly and easily seen. Once switched to screw drive this behavior vanished. This was not really something I had ever seen before. Since then others have mentioned similar findings.