Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 02:21 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Pentax K1 + 150-450mm Vs 7d MkII 500mm F4 IQ test

This was an excellent video!

I guess I can see what a 9 K lens vs a 2.5 K lens can do. We all know the Canon 7dmkii is an extremely popular camera, but with a $9000 Lens is crazy ~!

I think right before the video, I was telling myself, yea the Pentax cant keep up with af and the buffer rate against the Canon 7Dmkii ; however, I wonder if 36mp with a 150-450 can push out enough detail against this canon setup which is about $10,000 lol. Holy crap.

01-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Static Subject...exactly where the K1 shine...let me see thoses Birds in Flight comparison shots...
01-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found it fascinating. I also thought the Canon was a bit sharper or maybe just had better contrast. It was quite impressive performance for the cost delta for certain.
01-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Static Subject...exactly where the K1 shine...let me see thoses Birds in Flight comparison shots...
Yes I agree, I like to see some of the bird in flight side by side. Im pretty sure they took the same picture of the same bird in flight. He did mentioned that the FPS is a huge difference. I bet if we ask on the youtube, maybe we can get something similar with these static one. It may not be the same settings/distance and all since the Pentax user was shooting all manual, but if they can show us something smilar in IQ then that would be nice to see as well.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 11:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I found it fascinating. I also thought the Canon was a bit sharper or maybe just had better contrast. It was quite impressive performance for the cost delta for certain.
Yea, I agree. I think the major player is in that Canon 500MM f4 lens. Thats what a 9 Grand lens can do for you. Make image looks sharper even tho the body is only 20MP with AA filter on that 7d mkii, bokah looks smooth, and seems like less CA than the Pentax.

I predicted wrong in terms of sharpness, the canon really had a hair or two over the Pentax.

01-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm confused after watching this.... both on tripods?.... same tripods?... both same gimbal..... firm ground?.... camera settings? etc etc.... Am I missing something? I'm not even thinking of comparing at this stage.....I'm only seeing two dudes comparing unrelated shots.... shots.... nothing equipment related....

Two dudes taking shots in an uncontrolled manner then comparing shots and suggesting the differences are likely equipment related just seems ridiculous...at some 60-70 percentile to me.... maybe I'm missing something though.... maybe they were certified professional photographic androids or something..... using controlled enviromental conditions?

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-12-2017 at 11:02 PM.
01-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm confused after watching this.... both on tripods?.... same tripods?... both same gimbal..... firm ground?.... camera settings? etc etc.... Am I missing something? I'm not even thinking of comparing at this stage.....I'm only seeing two dudes comparing unrelated shots.... shots.... nothing equipment related....

Two dudes taking shots in an uncontrolled manner then comparing shots and suggesting the differences are likely equipment related just seems ridiculous...at some 60-70 percentile to me.... maybe I'm missing something though.... maybe they were certified professional photographic androids or something..... using controlled enviromental conditions?
About 18 seconds in the video he said that this comparison isnt even at all. This was to give us an "idea" on what their system can do.

He was just showing a similar image that they both took and wanted to compare the difference. An image that is close to be similar but much far apart in terms of gear, setting, tripod, distance and lighting as he mentioned in the video.

This isnt your typical newspaper text font test on the living room wall. This is an actual on field review just to give us a "general idea".

Though other channel also do these kind of test.

( Chris got alot of heat in doing this one. Made headline news LOL )

cheers!
01-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thesia26 Quote
An image that is close to be similar but much far apart in terms of gear, setting, tripod, distance and lighting as he mentioned in the video.
This goes to my point of "no equipment conclusions can be drawn from this".... it's just "entertainment" at best. Cheers!

01-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not so lenient as to call this a test. Nor entertainment.
01-13-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not so lenient as to call this a test. Nor entertainment.
Indeed. The guy in the video keeps on commenting on sharpness and detail. Meanwhile we are talking 450 - 500mm lenses here, with one shot from a tripod, another shot hand-held ...

Under those conditions alone, you'd get variation even if the two shooters were using exactly the same body and lens.
01-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This goes to my point of "no equipment conclusions can be drawn from this".... it's just "entertainment" at best. Cheers!
Hmm Im confuse. If you saw part one, which show how they were shooting, and the equipment they had maybe? You know this is part 2.

---------- Post added 01-14-17 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. The guy in the video keeps on commenting on sharpness and detail. Meanwhile we are talking 450 - 500mm lenses here, with one shot from a tripod, another shot hand-held ...

Under those conditions alone, you'd get variation even if the two shooters were using exactly the same body and lens.
Exactly! thank goodness some people get it. The guy even said its not even at all. He is just showing what they got. Also its birding. You wont ever get same condition all the time.

This isnt a news paper test lol.No wonder youtubers get blast alot. Have you seen Tony Northup on how he test his gear? Have his daughter walk in a kitchen and he just blast to test the af. What if she missed a step or 2 or walked slower than previously.

cheers!
01-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thesia26 Quote
Though other channel also do these kind of test.
Wow, after watching the Great Jpeg shootout it's clear to me now that my Pentax gear is only equal to that of an iPhone. Now I'm devastated. I feel like a fool. Who's gonna buy my stuff now knowing it's only as good as an iPhone?
01-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Wow, after watching the Great Jpeg shootout it's clear to me now that my Pentax gear is only equal to that of an iPhone. Now I'm devastated. I feel like a fool. Who's gonna buy my stuff now knowing it's only as good as an iPhone?
Yea , youtubers get flamed alot for these test.. You should check out tony northup and how he test af . gets his wife / daughter walking towards them in the kichen lol. they could miss a half a step or walk an extra step and it can change the results lol. Heck Tony northup claims he cant track a truck with the K1 + 70-200. People love his handsome face tho lol.

cheers!