Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
If you could only have one of these lenses: Samyang 14 2.8 vs Samyang 24 1.4, which would you have and why?
A tough choice. Both are considered good performers, but the 14mm seems to have the edge when it comes to coma (which is very important in Astro). Of course, the 24mm offer much more light gathering, being two stops faster. I think your are best making the choice based on the FOV you are looking for; 24mm is a bit easier to manage, but cannot emulate the FOV of a 14mm lens; the 14mm has serious distortion (as to be expected), but if you apply the right correction and crop you can a close to 24mm experience (not the same as the real thing though).

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I do have a Pentax DFA 24-70 2.8, in case that should make any difference in my decision making. As always, thank you in advance!
As a general rule, zooms make for poor Astro lenses, with terrible coma and chromatic aberrations (both have a much greater impact on the quality of an astrophoto than they may otherwise, so an otherwise great lens may not be well suited for taking photos of small, bright pinpoint light sources). Given the amount of glass in the 24-70mm, I expect it won't be an exception to the rule. Might be good enough in a pinch, but both of the Samyang primes will do a much better job of it.

01-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amount of glass in the 24-70: 17 elements / 12 groups
Amount of glass in the SY 14mm/2.8: 14 elements / 12 groups
I don't think that's an indicator. It takes a lot of glass to correct aberrations over a wide focal range or at extreme angles.

Coma is indeed better controlled in the SY 14mm, which is exceptional at that focal length, but is far from terrible according to LensTip's test of the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, which the Pentax is based on.
09-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
What ever you buy make sure you do all kinds of test on your new lens. Bought a Samyang 14mm 2.8 and was very soft over all on a K5IIs.
Just a heads up, it's pretty well documented that these Rokinon/Samyang 14mm (and likely others) have pretty terrible QC on the focus ring out of the factory. It will actually go well BEYOND infinite focus, which in turn leads to it looking soft or out of focus. Pretty easy to mechanically correct, or as I do just line up two lines on the focus. Usually if i'm going to just be shooting at infinite I will tape it or something so I don't accidentally bump it. I should fix it properly for convenience but having moved country no longer have all my small tools and am reluctant to buy more crap when in an apartment hah!

Super easy to find where it is, given the lens hits infinite focus at a VERY short length. Anything beyond 3m or so should correlate to infinite (pretty sure it's actually closer).

Just worth mentioning as my 14mm Rokinon is -super- sharp, but had I not read about that and was using infinite focus (honestly it all looks the same through the K1 viewfinder when your subject isn't up close), I would have thought the lens was soft as well.

edit: And there are loads of profiles out there for correcting this lenses distortion of FF, FWIW.