Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Here's another thought to further muddy the water.

You may have seen some of the consistently-spectacular images posted by PF member @northcoastgreg. He features his DA Limiteds frequently; here's one of his recent comments, if I may quote:

I also am a landscape photographer interested more in contrast, crispness, color than in sheer resolution. I have found that the very best lenses for color and contrast and beautiful rendering of landscapes are the DA Limiteds, and I own a trio of them (DA 15, DA 21, DA 35). However, these exquisite primes are expensive and, truth be told, not well suited for harsh environments, nor are they the best option if you need to change focal lengths frequently. So I also own the DA 16-85, the quality of which comes surprisingly close to those limiteds. For landscape zoom in harsh environments, the DA 16-85 is clearly the best option. It might be the only lens you ever need and it will deliver the goods.

A sample image from the
DA 16-85:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/336974-help...ml#post3869895

Landscapes might not be your main intention for the gap-filler, and the DA 21 or 35 Macro also have other good uses. Perhaps the DA 16-85 is worthy of consideration, at the 'risk' of introducing a zoom into your mix. Good luck with the choice!

01-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Da 16-85
But your signature...
"limiteds have pixie dust"
You may be referencing the FA dust, but the DA dust is still present!

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Here's another thought to further muddy the water.

You may have seen some of the consistently-spectacular images posted by PF member @northcoastgreg. He features his DA Limiteds frequently; here's one of his recent comments, if I may quote:

Landscapes might not be your main intention for the gap-filler, and the DA 21 or 35 Macro also have other good uses. Perhaps the DA 16-85 is worthy of consideration, at the 'risk' of introducing a zoom into your mix. Good luck with the choice!
I actually have not seen @northcoastgreg 's recent photos, I'll have to do a search. Thanks!!

And yes, I know my entire kit consists of primes right now. And that's not by accident.
I know recent advancements have brought zoom lenses up to a new standard that compete very closely with prime IQ.

There is just something about shooting with primes that I love.
Though, adding another WR lens to my bag would be pretty sweet!

Thanks for tossing another option into my head! hahaha
01-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know the 35mm macro, just get it again. Or try one of the 40mm, as mentioned the resale value should make it a relatively inexpensive 'rental' if you decide it's not for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Whenever I think of a perfect three lens kit I always get the DA* 300 and DFA 100 but then I always get stuck on a wider lens...
DA14mm rounds out my 3 lens kit. Or the 10-17mm fisheye. Or both, and I start counting 0, 1, 2, 3. Who am I kidding, I usually have an FA50mm with me for a 5 lens (err, 4 via some creative counting) lens kit, but it hardly leaves the bag. It's so small it's hard to leave behind, but I wouldn't really miss it if I did. Someday it may be replaced (err, supplemented?) with a 35mm macro.
01-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you could do with a 35 Ltd again...

Whenever I think of a perfect three lens kit I always get the DA* 300 and DFA 100 but then I always get stuck on a wider lens...
That's where I'm at now.
Adding the HD1.4x has opened more options as well.

I'm really looking more and more at the 20-40ltd.
But that 35ltd is just a beautiful lens!

(insert head explosion emoji here...)

01-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can we just spitball stuff or do the replies need to be carefully calculated suggestions? I can never really tell how appreciated slightly off-the-wall thinking is around here...

I mean, my suggestion is to get a good copy of the Sigma Super-Wide II AF and a 40XS if the budget allows. I think that the pair should be about $400 or so with a couple little baubles like a step up ring and a real lens cap for the XS. Probably needs some lens cases as well, etc.
01-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #21
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Which wide lens would benefit from the TC as well?!
I believe wide lenses don't work that well with the TC compared to how nicely it works with the 300.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'm really looking more and more at the 20-40ltd.
Whenever I look at a perfect lens kit I see (in the future) the 300, 100, TC and one of the following:
  1. DA 20-40
  2. DA* 16-50
  3. 15 Ltd and 35 Ltd
The 16-50 is constant 2.8 and has WR but is big and heavy
The 20-40 is smaller and lighter but has 2.8-4 and shorter range.
The 15 and 35 combo is smallest and lightest but only limited to 15 and 35 with no WR.

Since you have the 15 and 70 already the range of the 20-40 might work quite well.

EDIT:
I guess there is the cheaper 16-85 and 18-135 as well.
And third party lenses.
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Can we just spitball stuff or do the replies need to be carefully calculated suggestions? I can never really tell how appreciated slightly off-the-wall thinking is around here...

I mean, my suggestion is to get a good copy of the Sigma Super-Wide II AF and a 40XS if the budget allows. I think that the pair should be about $400 or so with a couple little baubles like a step up ring and a real lens cap for the XS. Probably needs some lens cases as well, etc.
haha I love off-the-wall ideas.
That's the best way to discover new possibilities and break new ground, right?

If not for me, then next guy to find this thread a year from now might benefit from your post.

I'm just more of a telephoto guy. So I think I want to stay within the realm of a single lens to fill that gap around 30-40mm.

I'm leaning towards that 35ltd... I already owned the smc version. Maybe I can justify buying the HD version, if not just for a comparison to my past shooting.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 11:59 AM ----------

I believe wide lenses don't work that well with the TC compared to how nicely it works with the 300.

Whenever I look at a perfect lens kit I see (in the future) the 300, 100, TC and one of the following:
  1. DA 20-40
  2. DA* 16-50
  3. 15 Ltd and 35 Ltd
The 16-50 is constant 2.8 and has WR but is big and heavy
The 20-40 is smaller and lighter but has 2.8-4 and shorter range.
The 15 and 35 combo is smallest and lightest but only limited to 15 and 35 with no WR.

Since you have the 15 and 70 already the range of the 20-40 might work quite well.

EDIT:
I guess there is the cheaper 16-85 and 18-135 as well.
And third party lenses.

We're down a similar path it seems.
The 16-50 looks fine, but I won't pay the price of an SDM version. If someone converts to screwdrive and prices accordingly (~$300) I'd consider.

The 15ltd and 35ltd seems like a solid combo. The 35ltd I see as having a full range of focus rather than a dedicated macro lens. That's where the DFA100 comes into play.

WR is a fair consideration...
01-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Faster glass exists for non-insane money; I'd order an FA35 f2 from Ricoh for better low-light performance vs. the Macro but I'm more interested in shots at night than some folks seem to be.

01-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't compromise on this next lens - save for it if necessary... you have top glass and it should also be high quality and slot in

----

FA 35 or FA 31 to give you something at around 30 with high IQ and FF compatibility should you ever need it

DA 35 macro is great but you already have macro with the 100 .. the FA 35 and 31 give you a slightly different rendering... though the 35 macro is also obviously decent in this regard

otherwise perhaps the 20-40 which will provide WR
01-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Don't compromise on this next lens - save for it if necessary... you have top glass and it should also be high quality and slot in

----

FA 35 or FA 31 to give you something at around 30 with high IQ and FF compatibility should you ever need it

DA 35 macro is great but you already have macro with the 100 .. the FA 35 and 31 give you a slightly different rendering... though the 35 macro is also obviously decent in this regard

otherwise perhaps the 20-40 which will provide WR
I agree with this statement.
I think the 20-40 is out. It looks great on paper, but the photos from it don't wow me. Nothing special IMHO, well at least not for the price tag.

I'd love to add the FA31, but that's a long shot on my budget... Tax season is upon us though!

I haven't considered the FA35, I'll check it out.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Faster glass exists for non-insane money; I'd order an FA35 f2 from Ricoh for better low-light performance vs. the Macro but I'm more interested in shots at night than some folks seem to be.
I'll check that out. Thanks!
01-13-2017, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Have you considered a Ricoh GR? A bit over budget, but when you are out shooting wildlife and want to take a snap of something else, you won't need to go through the hassle of changing lenses and being caught with your pants down (metaphorically speaking) if a grand wildlife opportunity knocks.

Just a thought from someone who's been there...

Otherwise, I'd say go for the DA21.
01-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My lens kit was the DA15 DA35 2.4 and the DA70. For landscapes I use the 70 as much if not more than any other lens. But then I got the DA40Xs with a K01 and decided to go with it over the 35 which I am going to give to my granddaughter. But after selling a couple of wide angle zooms I noted a DA21 for sale in Canada and bought it but have not used it. I bought another case for the new lens so that I can carry my camera and one lens and have the other 4 strapped on my belt as it also includes the 18-50 just for the convenience of a zoom and a little more protection when taking non important shots.

I had once thought of a X100S but the DA21 was much cheaper than a used on and I could use it with my K01 infrared camera too. But if you are taking images while waiting for wildlife than maybe the suggestion of lutfuss or a Fuji may be a good one for your needs.
01-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Have you considered a Ricoh GR? A bit over budget, but when you are out shooting wildlife and want to take a snap of something else, you won't need to go through the hassle of changing lenses and being caught with your pants down (metaphorically speaking) if a grand wildlife opportunity knocks.

Just a thought from someone who's been there...

Otherwise, I'd say go for the DA21.
Nothing wrong with a backup camera!
I've actually thought of picking up a used K-3 and throwing a 35/2.4 on it. (around the same price as a new GR)

I've held off for a few reasons - potential K-3ii successor in the next 6 months; by then I'd likely have the money to spend and put the K-3ii as my backup camera. Throw a 35 or a 21 on it and leave it on my belt for when I need it.
The other reason? I think it's harder to explain a second camera body to my wife than a new lens.

She also wants me to sell some of my work before buying any more gear ...
Well, looks like I won't be getting new gear any time soon!
01-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Go with the HD 35 Limited, what a superb piece of glass. I love mine. I also have the HD 15 Limited like you as well and enjoy it also. I am lucky to have a couple zooms as well. Still saving for the big daddy 300 F4.

Then who knows... Might do a 100 DFA Macro or a 55 *...
01-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alright!
I am officially looking for an HD DA-35mm limited macro lens... and a DA-21...

WANTED!

I already found one on eBay for under $400.
I might jump on it, but it's the silver version. Doesn't matter too much, but I'd prefer to get a black HD model.

If I can't find something by tomorrow I'll likely jump on this deal.

Cheers and thanks everyone for helping out the cause!
My wife hates you all for it!

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 01-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.