Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My lens lineup has a gap from 15mm to 70mm!

My current lineup:
DA15ltd, DA70ltd, DFA100wr, DA*300, HD1.4xTC

But, my primary shooting focus is wildlife.
I rarely take the DA*300 off my K-3ii. And now with the addition of the HD1.4xTC, I find myself reaching for my other lenses even less.

But I do notice myself feeling the gap between 15mm and 70mm. Even if the occasion is rare.

So.

How would you fill the gap?

I like the starbursts from the DA15, but other than that it's a very niche lens.

Should I just pull the trigger on the DA35ltd again? (I already owned it once and loved it)
Or should I sell the DA15 and buy a DA21 and possibly a DA40 as well?

I love the ltd lineup, but it's hard to justify adding more and more lenses when they hardly get used.
I don't really want a zoom unless it can rival the wow-factor I get from the ltd lenses.

I posted something a while back about having a 3 lens kit. It was more a concept to improve upon my photography with what I had rather than thinking I needed something new to make me better...
I still agree with this thought, but I definitely feel something missing between 15-70mm

How would you proceed?

Budget is a factor ~ $400

01-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

DA 50 1.8 and 21 ltd. second hand if you can find one.

Or just get a 40 XS and make do.
01-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I do notice myself feeling the gap between 15mm and 70mm. Even if the occasion is rare.
What are those rare occasions - portraiture? landscapes? candids? How much does the physical size of the lens matter to you?
01-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 20-40 ltd might work for you. It packs pretty impressive optical results in a small weather resistant lightweight lens.

That said, I've used a 15,40,70 combo and it is small and very light.

01-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
DA 50 1.8 and 21 ltd. second hand if you can find one.

Or just get a 40 XS and make do.
I owned a few 50mm on APS-C and never really liked the focal length, It was just a little awkward to me for some reason.
The 70 feels just right for short-tele.

I really think I'd like to try that 20-40mm range.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 09:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
What are those rare occasions - portraiture? landscapes? candids? How much does the physical size of the lens matter to you?
All of the above?

And physical size doesn't matter at all to me...

When I'm reaching for my bag to grab another lens it's typically a situation where there is absolutely no wildlife present so I switch up to a landscape scene.
But, I'd like to have a street lens and something for portraits as well... Right now my DA70 is my "all of the above" lens, but sometimes too long for landscape and street. And the 15 is just horrible for portrait, and really only works with some landscapes. Street on the 15 is fun, but it's again a niche lens.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DA 20-40 ltd might work for you. It packs pretty impressive optical results in a small weather resistant lightweight lens.

That said, I've used a 15,40,70 combo and it is small and very light.
Right, I've looked at the DA20-40ltd.
It's a bit out of my price range, and I was moving towards all primes. That said, I would love to add another WR lens to the bag...

I just don't think I can find one in excellent condition for under $400.
And I could save up, but I wouldn't use it much so it's hard to justify paying more.
01-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think you would go wrong with the DA 35/2.8 Limited. That one lens would fill your gap without proliferating your kit. It might stretch your stated budget, though.

Alternatively, if you use your DA 15 rarely and are thinking of selling it, I'd suggest picking up the DA 21. Not sure you'd need a DA 40 as well. I think I could manage well with a DA21/70 pair.

I have the DA 15 and 35 Ltds, as well as the DA 18-135 zoom. I recently got a DA 21, and find I like it a bit better than my DA 15 in terms of angle of view. I'll never part with my DA 35 Ltd.

- Craig
01-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It might be possible to get a used FA 43 Limited for around that much.

If you need something for low light, the Sigma 30/1.4 or (if you don't need autofocus) the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35/1.4 makes a nice fast normal lens on APS-C.

Or if you don't mind upgrading your camera's mount, you could do what I did and get a Contax Distagon 28/2.8 and Planar 50/1.7.

01-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If lens size doesn't matter much there's also the Tamron 17-35. It has really good reviews and is about half your budget. It is also full frame. But I can't give any personal input since I've never used one.
01-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I don't think you would go wrong with the DA 35/2.8 Limited. That one lens would fill your gap without proliferating your kit. It might stretch your stated budget, though.

Alternatively, if you use your DA 15 rarely and are thinking of selling it, I'd suggest picking up the DA 21. Not sure you'd need a DA 40 as well. I think I could manage well with a DA21/70 pair.

I have the DA 15 and 35 Ltds, as well as the DA 18-135 zoom. I recently got a DA 21, and find I like it a bit better than my DA 15 in terms of angle of view. I'll never part with my DA 35 Ltd.

- Craig
It's hard to justify keeping the DA15 just for starbursts...
Do you think the DA21 has potential for replacing the DA15 outright?

I agree the DA35ltd is a spectacular lens. I used to own the SMC version. Would like to pick up the HD version.
But I want to try the DA21. I don't think I need both...

This is so difficult.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
It might be possible to get a used FA 43 Limited for around that much.

If you need something for low light, the Sigma 30/1.4 or (if you don't need autofocus) the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35/1.4 makes a nice fast normal lens on APS-C.

Or if you don't mind upgrading your camera's mount, you could do what I did and get a Contax Distagon 28/2.8 and Planar 50/1.7.
I'm gonna pass on the camera mount, I appreciate the suggestion though!

For a lens I might use once a month, it's just not worth it to me.

The FA43 is an option, though the 15-43 gap might be cause for a future thread though.

Ideally I'd get a DA21, the FA43 and keep the rest. But I can't afford that not justify keeping all that glass for such limited use.
They'll all get jealous of the DA*300!
01-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As a prime shooter though, you have 21/35/40/50 Pentax options, a few (relatively huge) Sigmas, or manual focus. If f/2 speed would be good then the Limiteds are a problem but their size and build are hard to dispute & images are impressive. I have taken some very nice shots with manual 28mm lenses, so your budget would be quite safe going that way.

edit - silly me, I can't afford to think about the FA Limiteds.. but marvelous options!
01-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In practical terms, a 30 or 35 most effectively hits the middle of your gap. Yes I know that the average of 15 and 70 is almost exactly 43, but these things aren't linear. If just going by that, I'd say you would be most happy with the DA35ltd.

BUT. You already know that lens, or something very similar; also, most of the lenses in this discussion do well in resale value. So if I were in your shoes I would probably look for a DA21 - if possible, a used one. That's on the wide side of your gap, but 21mm is a significantly different field of view from 15mm, those of us who own one love it (my SMC copy practically stays bolted to my K-01), and if you decide it you need something slightly longer, you can either supplement later with a 40 or 43, or re-sell the 21 without losing much and go for a 35 instead.

This is so difficult.
I know! And there are people who complain about Pentax not having enough lens choices.
01-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

DA35ltd again? (I already owned it once and loved it)
Presumably you sold the lens because you didn't use it, even though you loved it? Do you think
you would use it now? There are lots of good choices between 15mm & 70mm, both AF and manual.
The DA35 Limited splits the difference and has the added bonus of being a Limited, a point you seem
to appreciate. I dare say reacquire the DA35 Limited, it's a beauty of a lens.

Nothing wrong with the 3 lens kit idea, though that doesn't mean you have to actually own only 3 lenses.
I own around 50 lenses, but typically only carry 2 or 3 in my bag. My go to kit is the DA15, DA35/2.8
and FA77. From there I'll swap out a lens or two depending on my needs or desires. Quite often it is
the DA35 that gets swapped out, primarily because I own so many 28mm and 50mm lenses.
01-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote

I know! And there are people who complain about Pentax not having enough lens choices.
These people either haven't owned anything from the ltd lineup, have too much money, or just can't find happiness

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 10:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Presumably you sold the lens because you didn't use it, even though you loved it? Do you think
you would use it now? .
Well, I did own a copy of the SMC 35ltd.

I was going to sell it right before my honeymoon, but someone on the forum wanted to trade for a DA15 so I jumped on the opportunity.

I don't regret it, the DA15 came in handy on the island. This shot wouldn't have been possible without it!

But I also know what the DA35ltd is capable of - reason for wanting it again!
01-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Da 16-85
01-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think you could do with a 35 Ltd again...

Whenever I think of a perfect three lens kit I always get the DA* 300 and DFA 100 but then I always get stuck on a wider lens...