Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

how long to wait?

I was looking around last night and came across an announcement from Tamron that they are developing a 10-24 f3.5-4.5 lens. The question is how far before actual production do companies actually announce these things? Will it be years before it comes out? Just curious as I would be intrested in this lens I know that the sigma 10-20 and the pentax 12-24 already exist

08-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i think tamron has always been slow to release their announced products.
08-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Tamron rep told me about this lens and he thought it would be out early next year. However, that was just his guess/impression. He wasn't committing to that date.

He was enthusiastic about the lens. He thought it would be a good wide angle solution for Pentax users, plus it's one of their SP lenses, which is the top of their line.
08-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not only does it still need to be released, but it needs to be released in K-mount. EOS and Nikon mounts are typically released first, so I'd be rather suprised if it appears before next summer. It very well may be a great lens but if you need a lens now, get it now! How many pictures will you miss between now and then? It's not going to make a DA 12-24 or a Sigma 10-20 obsolete, nor is it particularly likely to outclass them. I'd guess it *might* match them, as Tamron's existing 11-18 offering is probably the least desireable of the bunch.

08-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

what i'm waiting for is the tokina 11-16 F2.8 for the pentax mount
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Not only does it still need to be released, but it needs to be released in K-mount. EOS and Nikon mounts are typically released first, so I'd be rather suprised if it appears before next summer. It very well may be a great lens but if you need a lens now, get it now! How many pictures will you miss between now and then? It's not going to make a DA 12-24 or a Sigma 10-20 obsolete, nor is it particularly likely to outclass them. I'd guess it *might* match them, as Tamron's existing 11-18 offering is probably the least desireable of the bunch.
I dont really need it as I have the 10-17 fisheye for my wide angle stuff and the look doesn't bother me but it caught my intrest. I am fine waiting for it to see what it can do as its not a need more of a would like I guess. Was just curious about when to start looking
08-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
how long to wait?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking around last night and came across an announcement from Tamron that they are developing a 10-24 f3.5-4.5 lens. The question is how far before actual production do companies actually announce these things? Will it be years before it comes out? Just curious as I would be intrested in this lens I know that the sigma 10-20 and the pentax 12-24 already exist

Thank you for this information--I was unaware of this lens' creation. It would be a very nice addition indeed.

Regards