Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can anyone help me out with lens id

some how I ended up with an old slr lens that isn't a Pentax mount

I am trying to find out anything I can about it.

"Tokura mc auto zoom 1:28 - 4 28-80 mm macro filter 62"

it is a bayonet mount with aperture ring but no "A" setting

can anyone help

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-15-2017 at 04:48 PM.
01-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd recommend that you post a photo of the mount. Someone will identify it in no time flat.
01-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Google search reveals a 'Tokura' brand, and several listings on eBay, including a 28-80.

You might have a typo in your OP (Toruka).
01-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with the Tokura brand, but an MC mount would most likely be for a manual focus Minolta SLR. The MC mount dates back to the early '70s and was introduced on the SRT series SLR bodies, which were very similar to the venerable Pentax K1000. The MC mount was succeeded by the MD mount in the '80s, which was similar to Pentax's KA mount in that it had a locking aperture ring with an "A" setting to allow Minolta's XD, XG and X-series cameras to control the aperture in aperture priority ("A") mode and the top-of-the line X-700 to operate the aperture in program ("P") mode as well. All MC lenses will mount on X-series cameras and the cameras will control the aperture just like with an MD lens as long as the aperture is set to the highest number. When Minolta introduced the autofocus Maxxum cameras in the mid-'80s, it had an entirely different lens mount although MC and MD lenses could be mounted to a Maxxum with an adapter. Sorry for rambling on a bit but I don't get to talk Minolta much anymore.

Last edited by E-man; 01-15-2017 at 04:59 PM.
01-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
A Google search reveals a 'Tokura' brand, and several listings on eBay, including a 28-80.

You might have a typo in your OP (Toruka).
yes. i did have a typo and I did google the lens

saw the ebay listings and even had google translate but really didn't learn much.

thanks for the catch on the typo

here are some pictures, the last has a barnes and noble gift card in it for scale
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yashica/Contax.
01-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Canon FD mount maybe, the double aperture linkage might be it. Some knowledgable may confirm later or try this link to wiki. Canon FD lens mount - Wikipedia

disregard this post.

Last edited by gmans; 01-15-2017 at 05:33 PM.
01-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
yes. i did have a typo and I did google the lens

saw the ebay listings and even had google translate but really didn't learn much.

thanks for the catch on the typo

here are some pictures, the last has a barnes and noble gift card in it for scale
It is a Contax/Yashica bayonet. Can be used on Pentax with infinity when aperture levers are removed and mount swapped for a pk bayonet.
01-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
It is a Contax/Yashica bayonet. Can be used on Pentax with infinity when aperture levers are removed and mount swapped for a pk bayonet.
Boy that was quick, thanks to everyone

makes sense, my dad used a yashica slr at one time and I inherited his stuff.

I have no use for it, it is available for anyone who wants it who wants to pay shipping + insurance

pm me please

I obviously haven't tried it out so cannot speak for quality or how it works.
01-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
i'm sorry if i am hijacking your thread OP, but i have a similar issue with a lens i found that belonged to my grandfather. its nothing special i think, but i would really love to know which mount this is and if i can get an adapter for pk for it.

01-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mani Quote
i'm sorry if i am hijacking your thread OP, but i have a similar issue with a lens i found that belonged to my grandfather. its nothing special i think, but i would really love to know which mount this is and if i can get an adapter for pk for it.

This is a great lens! It is an exakta mount and some modifications are necessary to mount it on Pentax cameras.

Take a look at this link.

and this one, from the great RioRico

The way I modify exakta lenses (including the one you have shown here) is by:
- removing the bayonet,
- replacing it with a pk one, and
- I file down everything standing in the way to infinity.

Last edited by Audi 5 cyl; 01-17-2017 at 06:57 AM.
01-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ISCO Göttingen lens manufacturer - Legacy Lens

Maybe the Exacta mount.
01-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

You or anyone else can hijack away,my question has been answered

Kinda nice to think that this thread might live on

(Or not)
01-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
This is a great lens! It is an exakta mount and some modifications are necessary to mount it on Pentax cameras.

Take a look at this link.

and this one, from the great RioRico

The way I modify exakta lenses (including the one you have shown here) is by:
- removing the bayonet,
- replacing it with a pk one, and
- I file down everything standing in the way to infinity.
yes it does appear to be the exakta mount. I don't think i have the necessary craftsmanship to build such an adapter, and sadly the one exakta to pk adapter that i found is rather pricey for something like this. It was actually a set of 3 lenses: one is a domiplan 50 2.8, and the third one is a 100mm F4 all exakta mounts. The adapter solution audi suggested seems to not be interchangable and i have 2 left hands
01-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #15

Ahoy!

Unless it's a trick of the light, the image posted of the Tokura lens MC mount and rear lens element seems to show either fungus or haze, If this is the case, keep it away from all other lenses and use it as a paperweight or doorstop as it'll cost way more to have pro cleaned than the value/worth of the lens itself. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if not do keep it off your camera body and away from other optics.

As for using it on a DSLR, you'll need a MC to K-Mount lens adapter (preferably a chipped version) as the camera then knows a lens is attached and you'll have both image stabilisation and a focus confirmation 'beep'. Using a plain adapter, the camera won't know a lens is fitted and therefore won't allow the shutter button to be depressed, so a menu change needs to be made to turn off any lens fitted functionality. There are several manual focus mounts such as M42, M39, SR, MC, MD and I'm a fan of M42 screw-mount for which I have a chipped-lens adapter and requires no camera menu changes as the camera 'sees' the lens. Of the M42 lenses,my current favourites are the Helios, Prinzflex, Asahi Pentax and *Jupiter brands (* best Jupiter lens models are the alpha-numeric models and not numeric such as 11A instead of 11 as they're vastly superior and normally have curved aperture blades).

Is any of this of use to you or have you since discovered all you need about using MF lenses on DSLR bodies?