Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skewed Quote
I've had the original screw drive non-HD version and now have the PLM. The PLM does focus much faster and more decisively--I don't know yet if the IQ is significantly better, but the old one was pretty good.

I think the 1.4X TC doesn't add any value to the PLM. There may be a tiny bit more detail, but it's not sharp. In fact, detail that is sharp without the TC becomes less sharp with it.
I also tried the 1.4X teleconverter with the 55-300 PLM and I do not think it added much value. Then again I tried it on a damp overcast late afternoon January day. Perhaps on a bright sunny Spring or summer day it will work better. Autofocus performance with the TC was fine but sharpness was not great. I think I would have done just as well cropping image without the TC.

01-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skewed Quote
I've had the original screw drive non-HD version and now have the PLM. The PLM does focus much faster and more decisively--I don't know yet if the IQ is significantly better, but the old one was pretty good.

I think the 1.4X TC doesn't add any value to the PLM. There may be a tiny bit more detail, but it's not sharp. In fact, detail that is sharp without the TC becomes less sharp with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I also tried the 1.4X teleconverter with the 55-300 PLM and I do not think it added much value. Then again I tried it on a damp overcast late afternoon January day. Perhaps on a bright sunny Spring or summer day it will work better. Autofocus performance with the TC was fine but sharpness was not great. I think I would have done just as well cropping image without the TC.
Pretty much my experience as well with both the old and new versions. No increase in detail in old SMC version. The PLM gets a very tiny bit more detail from the text on the side of some oil tanks a couple of miles away from my front steps when I use a tripod. But such a tiny increase is not worth the loss of light when hand holding.
03-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Has anyone tried the PLM lens with CAF? I'm curious whether it tracks moving targets better, given that the AF is said to be quicker.
03-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Has anyone tried the PLM lens with CAF? I'm curious whether it tracks moving targets better, given that the AF is said to be quicker.

See Opinions on the 55-300 RE... - PentaxForums.com Osprey pics are AF.C. Tracks MUCH better than SMC DAL version.

03-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
See Opinions on the 55-300 RE... - PentaxForums.com Osprey pics are AF.C. Tracks MUCH better than SMC DAL version.
Thanks! A faster AF version of the 55-300 would be good. I just wish Pentax would put faster motors and a focus limiter in the DA*300. I'll have to consider the PLM lens!