Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone using Sigma 180 Macro?

This is my first attempt to post on here, so bear with me if I mess up. I have had the K10D for about a year now, and am still learning lots of tricks everytime I use it. I just got the Sigma 180 mm Macro about a week ago, and am really enjoying its sharpness, but when I try to focus on Hummingbirds on my feeders - it's just a fire and hope. I've about given up using AF, and Manual focus is very difficult. Anyone got any tricks to suggest?

Thanks,

Olin

08-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forum!

I would say use a non-macro to shoot something like this, because macro lenses can focus so closely, the throw of the focus mechanism is much greater, thus making for more hunting when you are doing non-macro shooting, unless you can lock the focus range with the sigma, I don't have it so I don't know. But since you are probably shooting the humming bird from a distance, a macro is a moot point. Try something telephoto....
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
As said in my first post, I would likely mess up, and I did apparently - so let me try to reply. The shots that I'm taking at the hummingbirds on my feeders are from approximately 5 feet away. I'm tripping the shutter and flash with a remote cable from more than 15 feet away, so as to not spook the birds. So, focusing is the part that I asked for any advice on. I can't run up and insure the bird is correctly centered for AutoFocus, so I have to pre-focus on the general area over the feeding port, and do it by guess and by gosh. It works sometimes, but wish there were a better idea.
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

What aperture are you shooting at? If the lens is closed down a little ( like f5.6) you should have a little depth of field. Theres never a lot at 180mm.
You might try trap focus. Normally that only works with lenses that don't have the "A" electrical contacts. Do a search and you will find that certain contact can be covered. This will allow the lens to be prefocused and using a lock wired remote will fire the camera when the subject comes into focus! Much faster response than lens having to AF.
For manual focusing I find the Pentax magnifying eyecup indespensable. It improves focusing by about 20%. Definetly get more keepers. Also shoot lots of shots. Your keeper percentage may be low, but who cares if you take hundreds and get 20 good ones? Couldn't do that so easily with film.
Good luck. Would love to see some shots.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.