Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 03:49 AM   #31
Forum Member

my second copy is perfect :-)

f2.4

f11

02-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
also waiting for the second copy of the lens.. Did you get a refund about the shipping costs for you sending the lens back to the service?

Thanks!
09-14-2017, 12:38 AM   #33

Hi.
I have a decentered lens, or should I say I did have....sent back and waiting on a replacement.
I have notice it seems to be a significant problem and often on the left side which to me indicates a unresolved QC problem.
Or if it has been resolved, lenses are still being sold with the problem i.e. old stock or worse returned stock.
So perhaps putting the serial numbers online would help us and Irix, perhaps a new thread?

Mine was a 15mm f/2.4 Firefly, serial number 00317010073 purchased in the UK

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/333494-pentax-irix-lens-club-show-us-your-photos-11.html

09-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #34

my experience with Irix is over

Just an update, the shop (ukdigital) I purchased my 15mm firefly from has apparently tested the lens on a Sony with an adapter….and they say it’s as they said, my K3 lens mount. Apparently Sony cameras are renowned for their lens mount reliability, Pentax not so…..
So getting my money back and my experience with Irix is over.
Funny thing is all my current lenses are OK with the K3 and had the same characteristics on my K20D?

09-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is not some mass-market kit lens. It's low volume. They are new player trying to get into a tough market and they can't have a small team of QC people in Korea doing a simple QC check as they come off the line?
Inexcusable. It completely undermines their whole "Swiss precision and Korean Innovation" marketing pitch.

** Well it seem like this outfit is actually a Polish/Samyang collaboration with the Swiss piece just being a letter-box operation. So in essence a premium upmarket Samyang line. All the more reason to know what it takes to do QC.

Last edited by caliscouser; 09-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.
10-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #36
Forum Member

Just as an FYI I have been using the firefly these past few days and very happy with the results. I tend to stop down so it may be the difference. There are several images on the K1 photo post from this lens. You may want to see how sharp it can be!!
01-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curious since I have been lurking on the Irix 15 threads... has the decentering issue been mainly on the Firefly, or also on the Blackstone as well?

I ask because I am wondering if spending the extra $ on the Blackstone is worth it, if it avoids the frustration.

Of course, I'd rather have the lightness in my backpack and price of the Firefly, but not if it's going to be a headache.
Eric
01-18-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Just curious since I have been lurking on the Irix 15 threads... has the decentering issue been mainly on the Firefly, or also on the Blackstone as well?

I ask because I am wondering if spending the extra $ on the Blackstone is worth it, if it avoids the frustration.

Of course, I'd rather have the lightness in my backpack and price of the Firefly, but not if it's going to be a headache.
Eric
I‘ve had the issues on two different Blackstone versions. As far as I have followed other users with decentering issues both Firefly and Blackstone versions were affected. Quite some time has passed since I‘ve started this thread and I suppose they have fixed the manufacturing issues by now.

If weight and price are important to you go for the Firefly. I loved the feel and build quality of the Blackstone but a friend of mine recently bought the 11mm Firefly and it also feels like a great quality build and not cheap at all.