Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering the purchase of an SMC DA 21 F/3.2 limited

Hi all,

I am considering to buy an SMC DA 21 ltd (so not the HD version). However, I read about some problems with reliability. It seems some versions after a while are not able to focus to infinity anymore. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121842-prob...nfinity-2.html. Does anyone know if this only occurs with lenses that were built during a certain period? And does it occur often?

Thanks for your replies!
Thomas

01-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I had it happen to my copy of the DA21 Limited; sent it off for repair to Advance Camera in Portland...

They adjusted the focus and tightened the helicoid retainer ring, plus a nice, general CLA.... and it works as good as new now....
01-20-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently bought a used DA 21mm and have not had that problem. Its a great lens. Super compact, well-built, and amazing colours and contrasts. Colours and contrasts are where this lens really stands out and beats my other wide primes
01-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you dig deep enough, you'll find problems with any lens.

The SMC DA 21 is a gem, in particular for its ability to create starbursts. They are a well-kept secret, otherwise they'd be selling for more. If you can find one, get it!

01-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have already said, the DA21 is a superb bit of glass (one of my favourites). And, yes, the SMC does have that starburst ability - arguably a better feature than the almost-imperceptible improvement in out-of-focus rendering from the round-bladed HD. If I were starting my lens collection over again, I'd go with the SMC rather than HD version.

As for reliability, I'd say it's as good as you could hope for from any modern AF prime. Yes, there will be a few examples that have had problems, but that holds true for any lens as @bdery says above. If you look after it, it should be fine
01-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had any problems. On the plus side, the pancakes are less likely to bang into things while you carry them...
Plus, they're just fun.
01-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had the same lens used for a couple years, showing above average amount of wear when purchased, and haven't run into any problems. The issue does not appear to be anywhere near as prevalent as the early SDM failures. Even if the problem crops up, the fix is relatively simple and probably would accompany a due for CLA.

I think its an interesting, small lens - and the perspective is nicer than I expected in that it's about as wide as you would want to go without feeling like you're getting an unnatural wide setting. Makes for a really fun street shooting lens. As for IQ, I'm not as enamored as others. It has a distinctive look, especially if you have out-of-focus areas which tend to look granular. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot for one in EX condition (mine was in G condition). It is a special lens with the great lens shade rectangle and a very nice feel.

01-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I had to send my used DA 21 in for repair as it was not sharp until F5.6. It was repaired for $125 at C.R.I.S. The starburst were fantastic and it was much sharper than my DA 16-50 zoom. However I ended up selling it since I did not use that focal length much.
01-20-2017, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Go for it ! One of my favourite lenses. After some 4+ years of frequent use mine has no problems whatever.

Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with da21
01-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

As others I can strongly recommend da21 either SMC or HD. SMC has much "better" starbursts but HD less ghosting, slightly better contrast and according to my experience (have both versions) is sharper toward the edges on lower (I mean lower numbers) apertures.

Last edited by Paulo; 01-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
01-20-2017, 05:23 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Forum Member

The 1st is taken with SMC whereas the 2nd with HD.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought a used SMC DA 21 about four years ago from KEH in LN- condition. It is my most used lens and I never had a problem with it. It is small, light weight, well built, sharp and reliable. The focus is so quick that even though it is screw drive it is almost as inconspicuous as an SDM lens. Definitely one of my favorites, one of only a few lenses that I have given a 10 to in my user reviews
01-20-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Really fine lens and highly recommended. Mine is pretty worn out now but never had an issue.

I had listed it for sale when I got the DFA15-30, until I tested them side by side and realized how great the 21 really is. Retracted the listing.
01-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I had mine completely fall apart. The same screws that set infinity focus hold the entire lens group in the lens. Here's my thread on the subject.

I'm pretty handy with tools, and I fixed it myself after a bit of panic. This isn't that big of a deal, though it looks scary. If you are worried, first check to make sure your infinity focus is perfect. If it is, take the front trim pieces off (one pulls off, the other requires 3 screws to be removed). Then, when you get to the three screws that set infinity focus, remove one completely, put some real loctite on it, and re-install it. Repeat with the other screws, again one at a time. Replace the trim pieces, and it won't ever come apart. Voila, 15 minutes of work, and your 21 won't come apart, ever.

This lens is easily worth this little bit of trouble.
01-24-2017, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies! I now had no other option than to buy the lens. A brand new one. Apparently a store still had a few on the shelves and was selling them for only 349 Euros. The HD version costs about 529 Euros new, so a great bargain! I got the last copy they had....

Thanks again!
Thomas