Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A modified FA 100mm f/2.8 macro

Recently I purchased a "Pentax M.D.Image II" set, consisting of a Pentax Z-10 body, an AF-140c TTL ring flash, and a modified SMC Pentax-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro.

The lens is modified in such a way that the original rubberized focus ring was replaced with a "Pentax click ring" which clicks into several fixed magnifications. The biggest drawback of this ring is dat AF is essentially made impossible. However, if you are a true macro shooter then you know that AF is not necessary at all (and often even unwanted) so this ring is in fact very handy.

The click ring can easily be removed: just slide it towards the front and off the lens. Apart from the missing rubber focus ring, everything is back to normal and even the AF works again.

I'm posting this for reference purposes as I have never heard of such a neat accessory as the Pentax Click Ring.

08-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is fairly odd, as I have never seen any information on this "Click ring". It looks like a very good idea, though!
08-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The lens is modified in such a way that the original rubberized focus ring was replaced with a "Pentax click ring" which clicks into several fixed magnifications. The biggest drawback of this ring is dat AF is essentially made impossible. However, if you are a true macro shooter then you know that AF is not necessary at all (and often even unwanted) so this ring is in fact very handy.
Do I get that right? The click ring on top of your Fa100mm serves no purpose.
Neat looking modification though.
AF is still a big plus for non-macro shots and this lens is very good in it when you limit the travel for non-macro setup.

Daniel
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It is fairly odd, as I have never seen any information on this "Click ring". It looks like a very good idea, though!
It is indeed a very good idea, as there is no focus creep/shift at all (you don't have to use the clamp knob to prevent that).

I seem to have found a few links to this "click ring" so I suppose it was available at the time. But I think we'll only find this ring in medical sets.

08-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Do I get that right? The click ring on top of your Fa100mm serves no purpose.
Of course it serves a purpose.

QuoteQuote:
Neat looking modification though.
AF is still a big plus for non-macro shots and this lens is very good in it when you limit the travel for non-macro setup.
You're completely right, but I usually do not use macro lenses for subjects at or near infinity. I have my beloved SMC Pentax-F 135/2.8 for that (I don't mind carrying a few extra lenses around).
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Of course it serves a purpose.

You're completely right, but I usually do not use macro lenses for subjects at or near infinity. I have my beloved SMC Pentax-F 135/2.8 for that (I don't mind carrying a few extra lenses around).
Gee I have little use of it as AF non-macro use. My FA135mm has almost the monopoly with 1/3 of the wt of FA100mm.

Daniel