Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2017, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #76

I view the UV filter like plastic covering for a sofa. Would never use it myself but glad the other folks did when I buy used...

02-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I was in the camera selling game, the major culprit that I saw regarding damaged front lens elements was scuff marks from over aggressive and too frequent cleaning.
True! Cleaning with dust can cause problems. Use a blower to clean the loose particles from a lens. Then use a soft brush to get rid of remaining particles. Only then should you use a liquid and cloth to remove what's left. And even then you ought to use caution.
02-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Well said!

I do the same with my most expensive lenses (over $2,000). I suspect some of those saying they'd never use a protect filter don't have lenses that are very expensive.
For sure you are right.
I don't have protective filters for any of my FA LTD lenses (I realize these are neither rare nor expensive), but I have also resisted the siren call of protective filters for my A50/1.2, my A*85/1.4, my A100/2.8 Macro, my FA*200/4 Macro, my F*300/4.5 (I don't know if this classifies as expensive or not), or my much loved A*600/5.6 (which is unusable with a filter anyway).
I also don't have protective filters for the 4 dozen or so more mundane lenses that I own.

---------- Post added 02-19-17 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
True! Cleaning with dust can cause problems. Use a blower to clean the loose particles from a lens. Then use a soft brush to get rid of remaining particles. Only then should you use a liquid and cloth to remove what's left. And even then you ought to use caution.
And even then, if you do it too often, you will destroy the front surface of the lens.
02-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow... I had no idea what a can of worms I had opened up!

02-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I use B+W clear filters. Just bought one for my new Pentax 28-105mm. Never had any issues with them. The only lenses I doun't use filers on, are my Limited...too much trouble trying to fit them in these cases.
02-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I use B+W clear filters. Just bought one for my new Pentax 28-105mm. Never had any issues with them. The only lenses I doun't use filers on, are my Limited...too much trouble trying to fit them in these cases.

Do you shoot with the sun at your back or towards you face?
02-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #82
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I use a Tiffen UV filter on my Bigma 50-500 and there is no appreciable difference without it. It came with the Bigma, and it does offer some protection.....squirrels are bad about spitting at me if I get too close.

Unless it is a really cheap low grade filter it won't make much difference in IQ. All (99.5%) of my Bigma shots are with the Bigma/Filter and shot through double pane window glass. I keep the glass fairly clean about once every two weeks or so.

Works for me!

Of course if you are a blind orphan squirrel it doesn't matter much one way of the other....

Regards!

02-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Do you shoot with the sun at your back or towards you face?
Haven't tried my Pentax 28-105...waiting for my new K-1 which is supposed to be coming in sometime soon. However, I do occasionally shoot into the sun....ie; sun in my face. I have gotten flare sometimes, sometimes not, depends on the angle I'm shooting. I don't tend to take many sunset or sunrise shots...mostly as my interests are more vintage vehicles, some landscapes and wildlife.
02-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Wow... I had no idea what a can of worms I had opened up!
And this is not even bow ties vs blue ovals!
02-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And this is not even bow ties vs blue ovals!
No kidding right? I am more of a BPG kind of guy... Buick, Pontiac and GMC but have had plenty of Bow ties too!

Oh and do have a soft spot for Ford Panther Platform products and Mustangs, of course when paired to a sweet sounding 5.0!
02-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No kidding right? I am more of a BPG kind of guy... Buick, Pontiac and GMC but have had plenty of Bow ties too!

Oh and do have a soft spot for Ford Panther Platform products and Mustangs, of course when paired to a sweet sounding 5.0!
There's very few things prettier than a '53 Buick!
02-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's very few things prettier than a '53 Buick!
Yes an old Roadmaster maybe?
02-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes an old Roadmaster maybe?
For sure. Although, I chased long and had after a certain '59 Electra 225. Owner would not sell sadly.