Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 03:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Fa35/2 ca?

So I took my FA35/2 for some photo shoot the past weekend, and found some serious CA problems.

Here is an image shot with K-S2 and FA35/2

And here is another image in the same place with NEX-6, FA43 and Mitakon Lens Turbo II

However FA35/2 and Lens Turbo combo seems to perform better, here is a shot taken earlier with NEX-6, FA35/2, and Lens Turbo II

Is this normal for a FA35/2? I wounder because the user reviews seem to give this lens a rather high rating in terms of aberration control and sharpness.

01-23-2017, 04:03 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just remove it in Lightroom, Butangmacat.

I often put the purple slider to about 4 pixels.
01-23-2017, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just remove it in Lightroom, Butangmacat.

I often put the purple slider to about 4 pixels.
I have ditched Adobe CC so I no longer use Lr. I ran them through Affinity Photo's CA tool and defringe tool. There were some improvements, but not much. These photos were the result of Affinity's CA tool and defringe tool.
01-23-2017, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, then the tool's not good enough, or your correct usage of it isn't enough.

I find I have to treat almost every FA lens (including the FA31 and FA77) in high contrast situations.

You need to do green correction in your second pic - look at the wires.

01-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out in this JPG that I haven't put through Lightroom yet - look at the purple on her lower arm against the dress. This is a Tamron 90mm Macro.

Last edited by clackers; 01-23-2017 at 04:55 AM.
01-23-2017, 04:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check out in this JPG that I didn't put through Lightroom yet - look at the purple on her lower arm against the dress. This is a Tamron 90mm Macro.
May I ask which lens did you use? It was not in the EXIF. FA77?
01-23-2017, 04:37 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
May I ask which lens did you use? It was not in the EXIF. FA77?
"Tamron 90mm Macro".

Like the FA35, it's a sharp lens.

01-23-2017, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Tamron 90mm Macro".

Like the FA35, it's a sharp lens.
The Adaptall-2 version? I do have a copy of that, nothing bad to say about it.
01-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, in your shot on the NEX-6, if you look at your larger Flickr picture you can see green in the bridge column edges at the left, and red at the sides of the electrical overhead contacts.
01-23-2017, 04:48 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Adaptall-2 version? I do have a copy of that, nothing bad to say about it.
No, K-mount.
01-23-2017, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, then the tool's not good enough, or your correct usage of it isn't enough.
Agreed. My experience has been that the Lightroom correction for LaCA is very effective. Adobe got that feature right.

As for the example images...

I spent some time looking at #1 and while there is slight LaCA, it is exacerbated by overall softness. Whether that is caused by missed focus, air quality, or something in post-processing (noise reduction?) is not clear.

For #2 and #3, the LaCA is obvious, but I would be hard put to place the blame on the primary lens. I would like to see the same scene without the auxiliary optic. Again, Lightroom would probably clean up both with a general increase in contrast/sharpness overall.

Steve
01-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed. My experience has been that the Lightroom correction for LaCA is very effective. Adobe got that feature right.

As for the example images...

I spent some time looking at #1 and while there is slight LaCA, it is exacerbated by overall softness. Whether that is caused by missed focus, air quality, or something in post-processing (noise reduction?) is not clear.

For #2 and #3, the LaCA is obvious, but I would be hard put to place the blame on the primary lens. I would like to see the same scene without the auxiliary optic. Again, Lightroom would probably clean up both with a general increase in contrast/sharpness overall.

Steve
I did find that I can't completely trust the SAFOX X autofocus system of my K-S2 when used with my film-era lenses (FA35/2, FA43Ltd). This was one of the images from that day which the camera did not nail focus but was good enough for it to be a keeper for documentary purpose or small enlargements. The NR I did on the image (as it was shot at ISO 1250) was slightly aggressive, which might worsened the softness. But the AF is a completely different topic. The two other images were taken with MF and prefocus, which I leveraged the red peaking and zooming of my NEX-6.

It was hard to find a opportunity to shot these scenes again as I was travelling there. However I did find my FA43 to be the better one in terms of CA of my FA lenses (FA35, FA43). The FA35 is definitely a big improvement over my Super-Takumar 35/2 in resolution, but it seems that CA control did not have that much improvement, especially in challenging scene where there are overhead wires against a clear blue sky.
01-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I did find that I can't completely trust the SAFOX X autofocus system of my K-S2 when used with my film-era lenses (FA35/2, FA43Ltd).
I have no problem with my K-S2 and the FA20-35, FA31, FA35, FA-J18-35, FA77 or Quantaray 28-90.

Did you do your microadjustments when you first brought it home?
01-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I find I have to treat almost every FA lens (including the FA31 and FA77) in high contrast situations.

You need to do green correction in your second pic - look at the wires.
Then I guess that's another topic related to the recent On1 and Affinity buzz. "Is there something that Adobe had done right that makes ditching Photoshop impossible?"

---------- Post added 01-23-17 at 05:15 AM ----------

I have no problem with my K-S2 and the FA20-35, FA31, FA35, FA-J18-35, FA77 or Quantaray 28-90.

Did you do your microadjustments when you first brought it home?
I did microadjust my FA35 and FA43. They are good at stationary subjects. However for moving subjects, they seem to have some hard time keeping up: I found AF-A and stopping down more reliable than AF-C, but I still get quite some of the images not nailing focus, but are still in a reasonable DOF for small enlargements.
01-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did find that I can't completely trust the SAFOX X autofocus system of my K-S2 when used with my film-era lenses (FA35/2, FA43Ltd). This was one of the images from that day which the camera did not nail focus but was good enough for it to be a keeper for documentary purpose or small enlargements.
#1 has sharpest focus on the wires at top and nearest track at bottom and is degraded as the wire runs towards the train. Not knowing your technique or AF point used, it is hard to say why. FWIW, I use my copy of the FA 35/2 with no AF fine adjustments on my K-3 (SAFOX XI).

Steve