Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Removing Takumar A/M lever?

Some Takumar lenses are so tiny, that they do not cover K-mount when adapted. It even seems that one could insert them into mount of some dead K lens -it seems possible for my Super Takumar 35/3.5 and maybe SMC 28/3.5. The only problem is the auto/manual lever, which I would like to remove (and keep- preferred option) or shave partly (well it hurts me little bit even thinking that way).
I do not see any possibility to open the lenses from the back. Has someone any idea how to do it?
Any tips appreciated!
I really feel uncomfortable leaving the contacts and the whole camera mount not covered, thats why I'm asking.

01-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
For the shorter focal length Takumars, the process is generally:
1. Remove fornt trim ring
2. remove screws holding front barrel
3. Remove Barrel
4. Remove screws holding focus ring
5. Remove focus ring (mark position for reinstallation later)
6. remove set screws holding DOF scale
7. Remove DOF scale
8. Remove aperture ring (don't lose the ball detent)
9. Remove screws holding mount to main barrel.

Once you complete these steps, you will have access to the two screws that hold the A/M switch to the inner cam ring. Remove them, and the switch will come right off. Reassembly is the reverse of above.
Thank you! Seems little bit complicated - which steps are risky? I suppose the one with aperture ring.
01-25-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would start with a replacement body cap. If anyone makes one with a WR-type seal on it, that would be nice. Then I'd make a hole in the center that just fits the base of the lens. I'm looking at an S-M-C 105.2.8 lens right now and it seems like there is ~2mm between the bottom of the A/M switch and lens base, so I would leave the switch in place. Then some glue to hold it in place. I don't think you need a total seal here because everyone uses non-WR lenses all the time and they simply cover the contacts.
01-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would start with a replacement body cap. If anyone makes one with a WR-type seal on it, that would be nice. Then I'd make a hole in the center that just fits the base of the lens. I'm looking at an S-M-C 105.2.8 lens right now and it seems like there is ~2mm between the bottom of the A/M switch and lens base, so I would leave the switch in place. Then some glue to hold it in place. I don't think you need a total seal here because everyone uses non-WR lenses all the time and they simply cover the contacts.
Even though the OP was getting at a seal in this area , something like this could help also to short the contacts to get Green Button metering ? In either case THANKS for the idea as I have a couple taks that I'm getting tired of using aluminum foil on. Gets me to thinking.
I thought about having a couple round spacers made out of very thin steel for this very idea , but when I checked into mass production of a few hundred to resale the cost was prohibitive.

Last edited by WestBug; 01-25-2017 at 10:57 AM.