Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

"Re-Clicking" the aperture...

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up the FA 31 and 77mm Limiteds in great working / cosmetic order but it was explained to me that the 77mm was "declicked" presumably for video at some point in its life. I didn't think this was a big deal as I'd planned to just use the lens with the aperture ring set to A so I could control it from the camera body. However without the click-stop it can pop right out of A mode with a slight nudge.

I did some digging and found that I would need a 1.2mm ball-bearing to replace the click so I tracked some down and they just arrived. I haven't tried to disassemble the lens yet but I do have JIS screwdrivers (I'm thinking a J000 is needed) but on close inspection it looks like one of the screws is ever so slightly stripped so I'm not sure how difficult that will be to get off.

Ultimately, before I try anything (as the lens does technically work right now) I wanted to know if all that is required is removing the lens mount and replacing the bearing underneath a tension spring then replacing the mount. Will that restore the click-stops in the aperture?

Thanks!

01-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Technically, you're correct regarding replacement of the ball bearing to restore the click between f-stops. However, the A position of the aperture ring is controlled by a separate push button, so you shouldn't need the ball bearing for that.

If you do decide to disassemble the lens, be careful of the tiny contact pins and springs that may jump out when you remove the mounting plate.

Also, the screwdriver required for removing the mounting plate screws is JIS +0.
01-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A competent technician should be able to "re-click" your lens for a nominal fee and far less risk than doing it yourself.

Steve
01-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having the click stop back would be great but if the A position works, all I would do is just tape the aperture ring in place and not worry about replacing what is missing.

01-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Right, it should lock into place into the "A" position and you have to press the button on the ring to unlock it. Presumable the person who "de-clicked" the lens removed or otherwise disabled the button so they wouldn't have to fumble around with it.

In theory replacing the ball bearing should restore the click stops - if the spring is still there. Restoring the lock button may be more difficult if parts are missing.
01-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Ah I see. I'm not too afraid of disassembling things if I have a clear guide but I'm happy to leave it to an expert if need be. If I recall, Eric Hendrickson was well regarded for Pentax repair, is that still the case, or is there another person you all would recommend?

The lens does not "stay" in A mode, there is a slight detent where I can tell it wants to stay in place but it does pop right out to f/22 with minimal effort (I could just adjust my grip on the lens as well I suppose).
01-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Abram Quote
Ah I see. I'm not too afraid of disassembling things if I have a clear guide but I'm happy to leave it to an expert if need be. If I recall, Eric Hendrickson was well regarded for Pentax repair, is that still the case, or is there another person you all would recommend?

The lens does not "stay" in A mode, there is a slight detent where I can tell it wants to stay in place but it does pop right out to f/22 with minimal effort (I could just adjust my grip on the lens as well I suppose).
You can contact Eric. He should be able to get parts for that lens if you want to go that route. You'll have to decide if it is cost effective to repair the lens, use it as is, or sell it with full disclosure of the function (someone may want a de-clicked lens) and buy an intact copy.

01-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
I talked with Eric and his price to fix the aperture was totally fair so I'm just going to send it to him rather than try it myself but I suspect I'd be able to do it as long as I was careful.
Thanks for the tips everyone!