Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I recently wrote up a field report on a 2-week trip to Turkey/Greece where I carried as little as I could but everything I thought I might need. (Summary: K-3 and K-30 and 6 lenses and Kenko 1.4x teleconverter) In general, here's how I function:
  • Minimal touring kit: body w/ DA 18-135
  • Minimal night/museum/street kit: DA 21 or DA 40XS
  • Lightest, broad-range touring kit: DA 18-135 and DA 10-17 FE
  • Full-range kit: DA 18-135, DA 10-17 FE and DAL 55-300 (or a remarkably small but competent Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm or the 1.4x teleconverter)
And I have varying size bags for each of those options!
Very useful, and I agree with the "Lightest, broad-range touring kit: DA 18-135 and DA 10-17 FE" since that is what I found.

02-01-2017, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reporting my experience:
I've done still life for a living, long time ago, but travel photography has always been my favorite.
Mostly Asian countries, from Middle East to Indian subcontinent to Far East.
For some reason I always took better pictures when I left with plenty of gears, than when I had just two zooms.
Maybe when I'm loaded taking decent pics becomes imperative
Now I live most of the time in Thailand, and when I leave Italy I always have to choose which lenses I will take with me.
Recently it's more complex, I have a K-1and I also bring a backup body (APS-C).
I don't want / can't shell out some serious money for the new full frame zooms by Pentax, which means I have to make good use of the very good vintage primes I already own.
I always try to have with me a couple of recent f/2,8 AF zooms, but I don't feel at ease with their weight/bulk, and most of the times I go out with 3 or 4 primes.
On average I bring at least 5 or 6 lenses, and every time I curse my laziness (and airlines regulations!) because I miss a certain lens that could prove... oh, so useful!

This is my two cents worth.
I already posted a couple of comments and a few pics about my first travel experience with my new K-1.

Cheers
Paolo

02-01-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

On my trip to costa rica in december I took a K-1 and 5 lenses

Zeiss 2.8/21
FA43
Cosina 55
Sigma 85
DFA100

the FA43 and Sigma 85 were my two most used lenses. The cosina was unused (it's a bit of a specialty lens). The zeiss and DFA100 where not used frequently but both took some excellent shots I wouldn't have been able to get otherwise.

I did (almost immediately) regret not having a lens with more reach. Lots of beautiful birds and no lens beyond 100mm. I don't normally use need a long telephoto for my style of shooting but I missed a lot of great shots on that trip.
02-18-2017, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

It's so interesting to see how personal tastes can differ, from one individual to another.
Fortunately. What a boring world would be!

I guess that your Cosina 55mm is either f/1.4 or f/1.2. Probably the latter, as you call it a "specialty lens".
It is happening the opposite to me. The lens i'm using the most on my K-1 is a Revuenon/Tomioka 1.2/55mm.
The least used lenses are my two f/2.8 zooms, which i thought would be attached to the camera all the time...

I found that having a wider choice allows to adapt to the "photographic mood" and to the kind of subjects you find (sometimes unexpectedly) on your journey.

cheers

P

02-20-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It's so interesting to see how personal tastes can differ, from one individual to another.
Fortunately. What a boring world would be!

I guess that your Cosina 55mm is either f/1.4 or f/1.2. Probably the latter, as you call it a "specialty lens".
It is happening the opposite to me. The lens i'm using the most on my K-1 is a Revuenon/Tomioka 1.2/55mm.
The least used lenses are my two f/2.8 zooms, which i thought would be attached to the camera all the time...

I found that having a wider choice allows to adapt to the "photographic mood" and to the kind of subjects you find (sometimes unexpectedly) on your journey.

cheers

P
Indeed it is the f/1.2. It's a wonderful lens but for whatever reason I just wasn't "feeling it". Having the FA43 as a back up was nice. I tend to sway towards the philosophy of "I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it" which means carrying a lot more weight in camera gear .
02-21-2017, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing pics of your vacation. My son and I are planning 10-14 day camping trip through as many of the 5 parks in Utah as possible in mid-September. Looking forward to the trip, but cringing at the thought of 14 nights in a tent.