Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow, focusing over 25 feet must be a nightmare!

08-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I need some support today.

Went to the camera show, with the intention (which I kept) of only buying film (XP2 at $1 a pop) and a couple of lens caps.

The best deal at the show: a new in box Vivitar TX 28/2.5 for $15. No mount, but I already have the mount... and I have the very same lens, plus 4 other 28's. As much as it hurt, I left the lens there. (I won't mention the TX 28/2.8 I also saw)
08-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops... no support from here... just envy! If I had camera shows to go to I'd be pretty happy. And if I had $15 lenses to buy I'd be snapping them up. All of mine cost me more than that in shipping... and triple that minimum in total. My Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 TX was $65 (with adapter) and I have to wait for it still.
08-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

What exactly is a TX lens anyway?

08-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the 1970's Soligor and Vivitar came up with an interchangeable mount system called the T-4. In late 1976 they introduced the TX mount which allowed auto-aperture lenses w/ full meter coupling.

Same idea as the Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2: make one lens with mount adaptors so any camera type could use them.
08-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ah! thank you for the info, Robin.

These universal mounts, although brilliant in concept, became completely redundant in the autofocus era. Some even before that.
08-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
These universal mounts, although brilliant in concept, became completely redundant in the autofocus era. Some even before that.
I am not sure I follow. Do you mean that because they do not have auto-focus, no-one would want to use them? If so, I will unleash the Takumar crowd on you...
08-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am not sure I follow. Do you mean that because they do not have auto-focus, no-one would want to use them? If so, I will unleash the Takumar crowd on you...

Not at all. But they are obsolete from a technological convenience point of view.

08-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Not at all. But they are obsolete from a technological convenience point of view.
That's why God gave us the green button (or AE-L on my camera).
08-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That's why God gave us the green button (or AE-L on my camera).

Your favourite local deity came to you in the shape of a Pentax camera.
08-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The reason is the Marketplace on whose sides we are but those little fish who swim alongside sharks.

The third party lens makers have to keep surfing the latest trends in order to convince people to buy their product. Maybe even more so than the camera manufacturers, four or five of which have a 'back catalog' so to speak based on their reputations. Actually it seems those without that catalog have gone out of business...
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Huh? Never mind....

That there is a breech mount, CA=CAnon? maybe.

If you look at the pic I posted of the 28 (above in this thread) you'll see a lump near the base. This is the TX lump. The other tell tale for TX lenses is that the f/stop numbers run in both directions and in two colors. The lump has a switch that releases the actual mount from the lens itself.

Is your mount removable? There are other systems, such as the T mount, Adaptall etc. Actually I saw a lens that looks a bit like you at the camera show this past weekend... the surround to the mount unscrewed, and you could then pop the mount out. I'm trying to remember the brand... maybe it was a Tamron adaptamatic?
08-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #28
Forum Member

I had the 24mm f2.8 vivitar with TX mount.

Not a really good lens....

Test images can be seen here:

The test image is 2mb

http://www.iqlo.dk/Div/DP/Test/24mm.jpg

Sold it for about 100USD because i never used it, and i also got myself a SMC 24mm

Last edited by Sila; 08-13-2008 at 02:12 AM. Reason: more info added ;)
08-13-2008, 02:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Sila. My lens arrived today and looks exactly like yours, except it's a 28mm. Also the locking switch is different -- perhaps mine has a screw-on cover?
08-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Vivitar 28mm 1:2.8 Auto Wide-Angle TX Mount (made by Tokina)

Here are my shots of the TX lens that arrived today. Please pardon the shots as I am not a product photographer. The light is rubbish today so I used a flash.

Front Element

I am quite fond of the industrial typeface Vivitar uses to inscribe their lenses. Very OCR.

The flash has really brought out a texture to the metal which is not apparent when viewing. Instead it is completely smooth to the touch. That's the mount locking mechanism in the lower-right.

Barrel

The lens barrel with the focus ring on top. This is smooth and resistive. The full throw is about 180 degrees. The front element does not rotate so the use of filters is optimised. The lens also internally focuses so its length does not change. Nice! This ring has a distance scale in meters (green) and feet (white).

The second (static) ring marks out the aperture, so this can be read against the distance scale. There is an orange infra-red mark. As is apparent the aperture range is f/2.8 to f/16.

The third ring is the aperture dial itself. This has six rather vague clicks. It is not particularly easy to rotate due to the fourth burled ring, which just sits there but gets in the way of turning the aperture ring.

Something I do not understand: the aperture ring has two sets of markings. One extends from 2.8 (in red) leftwards past 5.6 (in orange) to 16 (marked with a circle). This range is operational. The second set of markings extends to the right with all green numbers. This set is not operational so I don't know why they are here.

The Mount Lock

The locking mechanism for the TX to k-mount adapter. I believe one has to unscrew this protective cover, depress the tab, and then remove the adapter. There's no chance of this happening unexpectedly!

The lens is all metal, solidly built, and compact, extending out about 38mm from the body.

My copy did not come with a Vivitar cap (boo!) but instead with a Samigon 1A filter for protection.

I'll take some shots with the lens when I get the chance.

P.S. I have three more Vivitars coming for a massive shoot-out!