Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

which wide angle?

I am considering buying a wide angle and it's come down to these three. Any input from users of these lens'es would really be appreciated.
Sigma 10/20
SIGMA 12/24
pENTAX 12/24
AND i HAVE A k10 d
THANKS EVERYONE. KEN

08-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

I just received the sigma 12-24 yesterday. So far I am pretty happy with it. I haven't used it enough to give you a full review on it, but my first impressions are as follow:
It is a big piece of glass, and it is extremely well built. The focusing ring feels really nice, but the zoom is a little hard. It will probably loosen up as I use it, but I was quite surprised.
There is no vigneting at all even at 12mm wide open. Wide open, it is not extremely sharp, but very acceptable all across the frame. What impresses me the most so far how well controled the barel distortion is controled.
I have posted some photos on this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33205-full-frame-wide-angle.html
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
The focusing ring feels really nice, but the zoom is a little hard. It will probably loosen up as I use it, but I was quite surprised.
Do you think that because the zoom is rather small(12mm) that they made the zoom a bit hard to get a more precise control over the range?
08-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Do you think that because the zoom is rather small(12mm) that they made the zoom a bit hard to get a more precise control over the range?
No, I think that it has more to do with the way the lens is built. It is actually quite strange because when zooming out, you can feel that something changes inside the lens at 17mm. From 12mm to 17mm it is harder to zoom than from 17 to 24mm. The first few times I used the lens, I actually heard some type of "click" inside the lens when hitting the 17mm mark.
A side effect of that is that you do get good controle over the range, though I had to change the way I hold the camera in order to get a good grip on the zooming ring.

08-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
No, I think that it has more to do with the way the lens is built. It is actually quite strange because when zooming out, you can feel that something changes inside the lens at 17mm. From 12mm to 17mm it is harder to zoom than from 17 to 24mm. The first few times I used the lens, I actually heard some type of "click" inside the lens when hitting the 17mm mark.
A side effect of that is that you do get good controle over the range, though I had to change the way I hold the camera in order to get a good grip on the zooming ring.
I don't have any of those symptoms on mine. Not a stiff zoom, and it's equal over the range.

Note that the zoom length decreases from 24 --> 17mm then increases from 17 --> 12mm, so it may be that change of direction you feel as a click.
08-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

DA 12-24!

08-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I never looked at the Sigma 12-24 so can't address that.

I strongly looked at the pentax 12-24 and the sigma 10-20. They are both good lenses. The pentax offers constant F4 aperture which helps in low light, esp since 10-20 is sharpest between F5.6 and F8. On the other hand, i appreciate the potential creativity of the 10mm FL.

I ended up choosing the Sigma 10-20 and would make the same choice again, but one could debate it either way.

Whichever you buy, i think you'll like it. Phil B.
08-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't have any of those symptoms on mine. Not a stiff zoom, and it's equal over the range.

Note that the zoom length decreases from 24 --> 17mm then increases from 17 --> 12mm, so it may be that change of direction you feel as a click.
Strange...
Hopefully my copy is not a bad one. If it doesn't effect the IQ then I am not too concerned about it. I also have an extended warranty on it, so worse case senario is that I would have to return it.