Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
300mm lens question

How would the Pentax SMC-A* 300mm f4 hold up against the MEYER-ORESTEGOR-300mm f4 m42??

fast MEYER ORESTEGOR 1:4.0-300mm SUPER TELEPHOTO M42 - eBay (item 280253452332 end time Aug-10-08 13:47:25 PDT)

08-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #2

Not to sure, but man you must sure have some faith in Flebay to buy something something without the buyer showing pictures of the lense glass.

I would find it difficult to manually focus at 300mm, especially if the lense is fairly heavy, you have to hold the camera, then focus while trying to support the lense.... would be tough.
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
I would find it difficult to manually focus at 300mm, especially if the lense is fairly heavy, you have to hold the camera, then focus while trying to support the lense.... would be tough.
that depends,
if the lens is big enough, and your hands too
you can easily support the lens with part of your hand (index finger) and use thumb and middle finger to twist the ring...
I've tried this technique on my K400 and it works perfectly...
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Meyer-Optic Gorlitz Orestegor

I've never heard of Meyer-Optic Gorlitz Orestegor so I did a little check and found the following link. It seems it was a former East German outfit.

Meyer Orestegor / Pentacon 300mm f/4.0-22.0 EL=4 (Long Telephoto) #64 - M42

The lens sounds huge and weighs in at 5lbs. It apparently has 19 aperture blades!!!! Must be some awsome bokeh with this puppy. Five pounds is pretty hefty and even with shake reduction a tripod or monopod would be in order. It gets a pretty spotty review in the above link.

Given a choice between the A *300mm and this I would opt for the more expensive Pentax if money were not an issue. If it is an issue I would look at the Pentax K 300 f4, a lens of known quality (I have one), which can be had for similar or not a lot more money. It weighs less and can be hand held in good light.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-06-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
08-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
How would the Pentax SMC-A* 300mm f4 hold up against the MEYER-ORESTEGOR-300mm f4 m42??

fast MEYER ORESTEGOR 1:4.0-300mm SUPER TELEPHOTO M42 - eBay (item 280253452332 end time Aug-10-08 13:47:25 PDT)
Well . It seems holding up the latter (5 lb in wt) is an issue You should ask the vendor for sample images?
08-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You simply cannot compare the Meyer Orestegor with the A* Pentax lens. They are worlds apart in every respect. I have both lenses.

- the Meyer lens is a genuine medium format lens, which was also made available for 35mm. It is a good performer, very sharp, right to the edges. I have never used it on my digital cameras though, only on my Mamiya 645.

But I made some quick shots right now: at f4 the contrast is good and sharpness also, even on the K20. At f8 both is improved, especially contrast. The performance is solid over the whole sensor size - something to be expected for a lens made for a 6x6 camera...

- the Pentax A* 300 is a lens with near APO-performance, as it incorporates some ED glass. In my quick comparisson, contrast at f4 was slightly below the Orestegor! But sharpness at f4 and f8 was visibly better and contrast at f8 was very good - better than the Meyer.

- Both lenses did not show purple fringing or noticeable CAs in my test shots, which included some high contrast edges. Both are certainly better in that respect, than the old K 300/4.

But there are other differences, apart from the very acceptable image quality of the Meyer: The Meyer lens is a beast to handhold. It is built like a tank (Meyer Optik is an old and established German lens maker, which was incorporated into the Pentacon/Zeiss Jena East German optical conglomerate and its lenses were often sold under the Pentacon label). Focusing is very, very slow, compared to the A*. Both are manual lenses, but the A* is a joy to use focusing-wise, the Meyer is definitely not. If you want to grab wildlife or sports etc., the Meyer is certainly not a good choice.

You should not forget, that its 300mm focal length on a 6x6 camera make it a medium tele for portraits or somewhat tighter landscape shots - it wasn't bulit for action.

Another, important difference is, that the A* is an A lens, which supports all metering and exposure modes of the camera, including P-TTL - which the Orestegor does not.

My personal summary would be: If you work slowly and mainly from a tripod, the Meyer is a good choice. Otherwise the A* is the much more useable lens, with a slight advantage in image quality at all, but max. aperture. If you are on a budget, go for a K300/4, which is not quite as heavy and bulky as the Meyer and focusing is also much easier. The only disadvantage of the K300 are the more noiticeable CA/purple fringes at high contrast edges.

Ben
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
You simply cannot compare the Meyer Orestegor with the A* Pentax lens. They are worlds apart in every respect. I have both lenses.

- the Meyer lens is a genuine medium format lens, which was also made available for 35mm. It is a good performer, very sharp, right to the edges. I have never used it on my digital cameras though, only on my Mamiya 645.

But I made some quick shots right now: at f4 the contrast is good and sharpness also, even on the K20. At f8 both is improved, especially contrast. The performance is solid over the whole sensor size - something to be expected for a lens made for a 6x6 camera...

- the Pentax A* 300 is a lens with near APO-performance, as it incorporates some ED glass. In my quick comparisson, contrast at f4 was slightly below the Orestegor! But sharpness at f4 and f8 was visibly better and contrast at f8 was very good - better than the Meyer.

- Both lenses did not show purple fringing or noticeable CAs in my test shots, which included some high contrast edges. Both are certainly better in that respect, than the old K 300/4.

But there are other differences, apart from the very acceptable image quality of the Meyer: The Meyer lens is a beast to handhold. It is built like a tank (Meyer Optik is an old and established German lens maker, which was incorporated into the Pentacon/Zeiss Jena East German optical conglomerate and its lenses were often sold under the Pentacon label). Focusing is very, very slow, compared to the A*. Both are manual lenses, but the A* is a joy to use focusing-wise, the Meyer is definitely not. If you want to grab wildlife or sports etc., the Meyer is certainly not a good choice.

You should not forget, that its 300mm focal length on a 6x6 camera make it a medium tele for portraits or somewhat tighter landscape shots - it wasn't bulit for action.

Another, important difference is, that the A* is an A lens, which supports all metering and exposure modes of the camera, including P-TTL - which the Orestegor does not.

My personal summary would be: If you work slowly and mainly from a tripod, the Meyer is a good choice. Otherwise the A* is the much more useable lens, with a slight advantage in image quality at all, but max. aperture. If you are on a budget, go for a K300/4, which is not quite as heavy and bulky as the Meyer and focusing is also much easier. The only disadvantage of the K300 are the more noiticeable CA/purple fringes at high contrast edges.

Ben
RISE, RISE FROM THE DEAD, THREAD...

Would you pay $200 for this lens...
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Ben,

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. The M* and A* 300/4s do not incorporate ED glass in their designs, and PF and CA are definitely more pronounced than with the later F* and FA*/4.5 optical formulae which do use ED glass elements. You'll notice that the M* and A*300/4s do not show "ED" in their official names, while the F*, FA*, and DA* all show "ED (IF)" (as does the A* 200/2.8 ED, the A*300/2.8 ED (IF), etc. -- so it's not just a difference in naming convention between the A and F, FA, and DA series)

just a niggling point -- otherwise I agree with your assessment. The A* is an excellent lens, very sharp wide open, and light and compact, even compared to more modern designs. . . and the build quality is exceptional.

. . . if it had a closer minimum focusing distance, I'd still own it.

Scott

07-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Ben,

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. The M* and A* 300/4s do not incorporate ED glass in their designs, and PF and CA are definitely more pronounced than with the later F* and FA*/4.5 optical formulae which do use ED glass elements. You'll notice that the M* and A*300/4s do not show "ED" in their official names, while the F*, FA*, and DA* all show "ED (IF)" (as does the A* 200/2.8 ED, the A*300/2.8 ED (IF), etc. -- so it's not just a difference in naming convention between the A and F, FA, and DA series)

just a niggling point -- otherwise I agree with your assessment. The A* is an excellent lens, very sharp wide open, and light and compact, even compared to more modern designs. . . and the build quality is exceptional.

. . . if it had a closer minimum focusing distance, I'd still own it.

Scott
Scott, you are completely right. I have no clue, why I mentioned ED glass at all - may be a Freudian mistake, as we had a discussion about the more recent ED incorporating lenses, before I posted my answer. Taken that into account, the performance of the A 300/4 is even more astonishing.

Thanks for the correction.
Ben
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #10

Ben and Scott, according to the following article, the M 300* F4 has in fact 3 ED lenses incorporated in the design!
Google translated version: Google Translate

And the original article in Italian: SMC* PENTAX* M* 300mm f

Mike
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Scott, you are completely right. I have no clue, why I mentioned ED glass at all - may be a Freudian mistake, as we had a discussion about the more recent ED incorporating lenses, before I posted my answer. Taken that into account, the performance of the A 300/4 is even more astonishing.

Thanks for the correction.
Ben

Theres definitely ED glass in the A* 300/4 lens. Pentax wasn't that good back then to advertize the fact. The A* 135/1.8 and the A* 85/1.4 also uses ED glass....
If Im not mistaken some zooms also used ED glass without advertizing the fact. I think the F 70-210 is an ED lens explaining it's great reputation....
08-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I've bought my Orestegor 4/300 (ser# 4564824) in the early 80-s.
Due to it's size and weight it's not one that I "drag" along by default but when I need light and clarity it's my favorite.
And yes, bu current standards if't heavy, large and the manual diaphragm is something frowned upon in these days but the yielding quality certainly compensates.
To be honest I think the older, fixed focuslength, lenses (decent brands atleast) outperform the new standard lensen.
I recently stumbled across a 50 mm F1.7 Ricoh lens for Pentax and even from the display it shows clearly that the resolution and the brightness is a lot better than the standard zoom Pentax packs with the K10D.
08-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greywolf Quote
I've bought my Orestegor 4/300 (ser# 4564824) in the early 80-s.
Due to it's size and weight it's not one that I "drag" along by default but when I need light and clarity it's my favorite.
And yes, bu current standards if't heavy, large and the manual diaphragm is something frowned upon in these days but the yielding quality certainly compensates.
To be honest I think the older, fixed focuslength, lenses (decent brands atleast) outperform the new standard lensen.
I recently stumbled across a 50 mm F1.7 Ricoh lens for Pentax and even from the display it shows clearly that the resolution and the brightness is a lot better than the standard zoom Pentax packs with the K10D.
The Orestegor 300/4 is a famous lens and one of the best in the Meyer Görlitz (Pentacon) line-up, with very low residual colour and good sharpness acrossthe field, even wide open - which is no real surprise as it is made for medium format. I use it rarely as the focusing helicoid is quite stiff (my lens is in LN condition) and has a very long throw, which makes focusing very exacting, but slow.

Ben
08-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Theres definitely ED glass in the A* 300/4 lens. Pentax wasn't that good back then to advertize the fact. The A* 135/1.8 and the A* 85/1.4 also uses ED glass....
If Im not mistaken some zooms also used ED glass without advertizing the fact. I think the F 70-210 is an ED lens explaining it's great reputation....
How do you know this, have you seen it somewhere?

I own these lenses and have always been very happy with them and this would go some of the way to explaining their performance.