Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax SMC DA 15/4 Limited lens

Good day,

May I asked what are your work around for the DA15/4 when it comes to attaching filters (square filters if possible) specially those ND Graduated filters that is more useful if they are in the rectangular shaped over the circular one.

Or if there is a link you know please do...

Thank you.

01-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can run a 49mm circular UV filter then something like a Cokin A filter holder with a 49mm adapter screwed on to the UV filter.
01-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 15/4 has a standard 49mm thread. The only issue is that you have to retract the inbuilt hood.

My first thought for square filters would be the Cokin A system; however, I'm not sure whether you can get this any more at anything other than exorbitant prices or wherever you might find it on e-bay, and third-party makers seem to have gone exclusively for the much larger and somewhat more awkward Cokin P system to cater to the current fad for relatively large front elements. For the 15/4, that's overkill.

ETA: Caliscouser got in first and is correct; you need to stand the Cokin adapter off from the hood, even when retracted. Buy the cheapest 49mm filter of any kind that you can find, even a scungy one out of some photo store remainders bin, or a 99 cent Chinese special off e-bay. Then smash the glass and clear it out, leaving only the metal ring as a spacer.
01-29-2017, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Good day,

May I asked what are your work around for the DA15/4 when it comes to attaching filters (square filters if possible) specially those ND Graduated filters that is more useful if they are in the rectangular shaped over the circular one.

Or if there is a link you know please do...

Thank you.
Hi,

I use the HD DA15 and have and use the solution for you...

My system:

Hi-Tech 67mm filter holder (I have the Colby Brown landscape kit & the 85mm version of this kit).

Screw a 49mm filter ring onto the DA15, I just took the glass out of an unused Hoya filter (about 5mm depth but a slimmer one is better again), screw the Hi-Tech adapter ring (mine is 49mm) onto the filter ring and fit the Hi-Tech filter holder and insert the grad you want.

This method clears the DA15 lens hood and there is zero vignetting.

I also use a Marumi slim polariser to replace the 49mm filter ring when I want a polarised graduated photo. Top tip, you can use this in vertical orientation to avoid the ultra wide lens polariser problem with striped blue skies.

The 85mm Hi-Tech kit works in this way too but the 67mm is better and fits all my Pentax lenses right up to the legendary F* 300 f4.5.

Only get the 85mm kit if you need a filter size bigger than 67mm. This and the 85mm filters cost a lot more than the 67mm system. It is also good quality and very reasonable here in Ireland and Europe.

I hope this helps

---------- Post added 01-30-17 at 02:00 AM ----------

Don't smash anything, you can bend the ring and wreck your DA15 threads. Don't use any skinflint effort, it is a DA15!!!

USE A GOOD QUALITY RING

01-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick responses, I will try look around for the availability of these locally.
01-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to add this website to your list: AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.. You can get empty 49mm rings as well as an enormous variety of filters at bargain prices. Not sure if they have Cokin or other rectangular resin filters.
01-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

BTW to the OP Alvin Bartolome...

You do some beautiful photography and you will much enjoy a quality grad filter kit.
01-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@nocturnal,

Thank you for appreciating! Although I haven't been uploading for a while as I am busy with my kid (#Dadlife) I still longed to shoot landscapes and expand my knowledge.
In the case I want to expand my UWA in the future, say I will add a DA12-24/4 in the future which is 77mm in terms of ring requirement, which filter system should I buy as a future proof filter system? Thank you.

This are the filter what I have in mind as a started kit, CPL, ND (3 stops) GND Hard/Soft (3 stops) and Reverse GND. I learned they are very expensive but which one should I try first? I had experience with circular NDs when shootings waterfalls, clouds, but I do not have experience on GNDs.

@WPresto
Thank you for the link. Here in country the brands that are available are LEE, BENRO Firecrest, Formatt-Hitech, Kenko, NISSI, Hoya and a few B&Ws.

01-31-2017, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Alvin,

A 2 stop grad is best to start with and the one that you would usually need. 2 stop grads are all I have and this is the kit I have. I also have the 85mm version in exactly the same kit.

Formatt Colby Brown Signature Edition Hitech 67x85mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This 67mm version is most suited to Pentax being small with the Ltd. Lenses etc (not including the new K1 full frame system). They have many varieties of what you need, I am not wanting you to buy from this seller but the info is all there for you.

You say you may need up to a 77mm thread, the 85mm version has a 77mm adapter ring available so that would work... But like I said the 67 version is better for small lenses. Another consideration is that 85mm filters are more expensive to buy than 67 and the 100mm is a lot more.

The 85mm will also allow for wider than 15mm lenses without vignetting, a 12mm lens would vignette the 67mm I would imagine.

As for learning about graduation photography, I found the best way is to use the grad tool in Lightroom or Photoshop, say for example on your sunset photographs and observe how many EV or stops you are using.

The reverse 0.6 2 stop grad is my favourite for sunsets.

Another reason why I bought 2 kits was to use both film and DSLR at the same time, although I discovered it was twice the stress when you have a few precious minutes of light.

😎
01-31-2017, 01:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just use a screw-in CPL, Wed7. It's 49mm so will go on several of my other lenses, too.
01-31-2017, 03:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Be sure to add this website to your list: AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.. You can get empty 49mm rings as well as an enormous variety of filters at bargain prices. Not sure if they have Cokin or other rectangular resin filters.
Oh bless you! I've been looking for a short 49mm spacer ring or two with no glass for my film scanning setup and now I have a source & won't have to sacrifice UV filters!
01-31-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

i personally use this ND filter which I ordered especially for my DA15mm. its so slim that there is no vignetting at all.

<p>Haida, Believe We Can...</p>

They have other slim filters as well

quality is top notch too
01-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Too bad, most the 49mm ring adapter from the 67mm filter holder system is no longer available in my area, I cant even find it in Amazon Japan.

is it possible to use 52mm instead?

Last edited by wed7; 01-31-2017 at 08:45 AM.
02-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I asked our local distributor to check again their stocks and she called back and told me that I can buy the individual contents of the 67mm Colby Brown Filter Kit. I can have my kit tomorrow. What a turn of event. :P

Thanks again. Hoping to do justice on this new purchase.