Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA 35 F2 AL v D-FA 50 F2.8 Macro

Does any have experience with these two lenses on a K-1 ?

I've been recently using the 50mm and have been impressed how evenly sharp it is across the frame, allowing me to choose a crop without the restrictions I was enduring with the weaker edge sharpness of the 24-70. So to complement the 50mm I would like to understand how might the 35mm compare for sharpness across the frame to the 50's evenness.

The reviews for the 35mm have mostly (all ?) been on a cropped sensor, so not that helpful.

I might consider the 31mm limited, but I get the impression that for all it's strengths it is not perhaps as uniformly sharp across the frame on FF as it might be. Maybe someone will have a view of the 35mm against the 31mm in this regard, though the 31 is considerably more expensive, which is a consideration.

Many thanks

01-31-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both. And the DFA 24-70.
Seriously, if you are looking for another lens as sharp as DFA 50 macro, you may be disappointed. I don't think there is one.
The FA35 comes out very sharp on the K-1, I'm very happy with it. If you compare it with DFA 24-70, both on f2.8, it will come out sharper, no doubt. I even don't hesitate to use the FA 35 wide open.
Basically the main improvement of the FA 31 over FA 35 is that it fixes the hexagonal features in bokeh.
01-31-2017, 02:28 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both, and they're very good.

The FA31 is excellent, of course.

Last edited by clackers; 01-31-2017 at 02:38 AM.
01-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I would use my FA50 most of the time on the K-1 but as it turns out the FA35 f2 is a great all round scenery lens and I use it a lot.
I find the FA35 to be plenty sharp - even wide open the centre is sharp edges are not too bad. Stopping down to f2.8 improves sharpness and corners look pretty good. Peak sharpness f4 - f5.6 (f8 is pretty close though).

I am finding that on FF, I am liking the FA35 bokeh better I did on APS-C - probably due to closer focusing distances with the wider angle of view. I'm sure the FA31 would have creamier bokeh but I'm very happy with the FA35 at this point.

01-31-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've been recently using the 50mm and have been impressed how evenly sharp it is across the frame
Part of this is the macro design. (Most) macro primes have a flat field of focus (not curved), with a very good sharpness even in the edges, and a lot of optic corrections. DFA 100mm macro is similar to DFA 50mm macro in that regard. DA 35mm f2.8 macro, as well; but this one is mostly for APSC. Don't know about FA 35mm f2, though the DA 35mm f2.4 (which is based on the FA) is pretty sharp and has decent corners. The FA is probably just as good, if not better, than the DA 35mm f2.4.
01-31-2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Film era reviews on full frame of the FA 35 and FA 31 suggest the 35 is sharper across the frame earlier (wide open) and the FA 31 is sharper in the center stopped down a little. I have only used these two on crop so I can't confirm this as gospel on full frame but I can confirm there isn't much to complain about on either lens on crop.
01-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like my FA 35 on K-1...it is not sharp WO from edge to edge as others said. But it is surprisingly good. If you stop it down little a bit it is really good, but what one might find disturbing is hexagonal bokeh. That would be my only complain now when I have got used to its FoV. Stopped down to f 8 or more, it is really sharp and detailed. Have to shoot WO to get rid of hexagons, is little compromising that I want to do, but then I sacrifice edges. If I'd have more money, I'd put it towards FA 31 to get my 3 amigos complete and get that smooth blurr...but that is quite a much money. Just my 2 cents.

01-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I like my FA 35 on K-1...it is not sharp WO from edge to edge as others said. But it is surprisingly good. If you stop it down little a bit it is really good, but what one might find disturbing is hexagonal bokeh.
Yep, the FA 35/2 is not a "bokeh lens". I don't know that the bokeh is truly smooth at any aperture regardless of the shape of the iris opening...acceptable, but not sterling. Strangely enough, that is not really a flaw for the focal length on 35mm FF. Intended use is as a moderate wide angle and it truly excels for street and club photography.

Steve
01-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Film era reviews on full frame of the FA 35 and FA 31 suggest the 35 is sharper across the frame earlier (wide open) and the FA 31 is sharper in the center stopped down a little. I have only used these two on crop so I can't confirm this as gospel on full frame but I can confirm there isn't much to complain about on either lens on crop.
I can provide a recent "film era" review of the FA 35/2. The lens is a little soft in the corners wide open on 35mm film, but not so much so as the "fast 50s" on my shelf. It was priced and marketed as a premium offering when it was released and the performance confirms that placement. After several years of ownership, my only complaints are the eventual loose fit of the dedicated hood (due to wear of the plastic bayonet) and the design of the rubber focus grip that makes manual focus a little difficult when the hood is mounted.

Steve
01-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
npc
Veteran Member

The FA35 is OK, but not as uniformly sharp across the frame as the FA50 macro. The sigma art 35 1.4 and even Samyang/Rokinon 35 1.4 are closer to FA50 macro as far as sharpness is concerned, but both are quite huge.
01-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely enough, that is not really a flaw for the focal length on 35mm FF. Intended use is as a moderate wide angle and it truly excels for street and club photography.

Steve
Here I do agree. It really is great for streets, has quite fast and reliable focus on K-1. And IF you need to you can have it WO too. I like mine for not so wide landscapes. Have to see how it fares at street shots.
01-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Basically the main improvement of the FA 31 over FA 35 is that it fixes the hexagonal features in bokeh.
Thanks I didn't know this, but probably not so relevant for my usage.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Part of this is the macro design. (Most) macro primes have a flat field of focus (not curved), with a very good sharpness even in the edges, and a lot of optic corrections. DFA 100mm macro is similar to DFA 50mm macro in that regard. DA 35mm f2.8 macro, as well; but this one is mostly for APSC. Don't know about FA 35mm f2, though the DA 35mm f2.4 (which is based on the FA) is pretty sharp and has decent corners. The FA is probably just as good, if not better, than the DA 35mm f2.4.
Thanks. I have the 100, so with the 50 and possibly the 35, this is/might be my prime set. Take your point about the macro design. I was wondering if the FA 35 was a similar design to the DA version, and thus a macro in disguise.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks I'll take a look ...

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I like my FA 35 on K-1...it is not sharp WO from edge to edge as others said. But it is surprisingly good. If you stop it down little a bit it is really good, but what one might find disturbing is hexagonal bokeh. That would be my only complain now when I have got used to its FoV. Stopped down to f 8 or more, it is really sharp and detailed. Have to shoot WO to get rid of hexagons, is little compromising that I want to do, but then I sacrifice edges. If I'd have more money, I'd put it towards FA 31 to get my 3 amigos complete and get that smooth blurr...but that is quite a much money. Just my 2 cents.
Another note about the bokeh ... noted. As a landscaper I rarely find I notce the bokeh anyway. I sometimes use wide apertures if I'm doing intimate landscape styles, but don't really fret about the bokeh quality. Maybe I should look more closely ...Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 09:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
The FA35 is OK, but not as uniformly sharp across the frame as the FA50 macro. The sigma art 35 1.4 and even Samyang/Rokinon 35 1.4 are closer to FA50 macro as far as sharpness is concerned, but both are quite huge.
Noted. The size is an issue. I came from the DA limiteds and have struggled with the big 24-70, so a big prime is not to my taste. Again a reference to how good the 50 is. Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can provide a recent "film era" review of the FA 35/2. The lens is a little soft in the corners wide open on 35mm film, but not so much so as the "fast 50s" on my shelf. It was priced and marketed as a premium offering when it was released and the performance confirms that placement. After several years of ownership, my only complaints are the eventual loose fit of the dedicated hood (due to wear of the plastic bayonet) and the design of the rubber focus grip that makes manual focus a little difficult when the hood is mounted.

Steve
It's getting some good, poitive comments. Thanks Steve all input helps
01-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #13

FWIW I actually (sometimes, depends on the shot) like the hexagons and wouldn't shy away from trying it to see if you like it.
01-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Take your point about the macro design. I was wondering if the FA 35 was a similar design to the DA version, and thus a macro in disguise
Think you're getting a bit mixed up here, Barry.

The FA35 is similar to the later DA35 f2.4, not the DA 35 f2.8 Macro.

The DA35 has FF coverage, the Macro hasn't.