Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #31
Forum Member

Tamron 90/2.8 for avian portraits !

I also have this lens and I like it. Very sharp, smooth bokeh; manual focus is precise.

I sometimes see a bit of purple fringing and a little blue tint at wide apertures. This is maybe the only negative point I found with this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rodney9 Quote
I love my Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 (Di) Macro too, good for avian portraits as well...
I also used this lens for avian portraits. There is a place I sometimes go to feed birds in my hand; meanwhile, with my right hand, I can hold my K10D and take some pics with the help of autofocus.

Here are two pics taken this way:

other bird pics with Tamron 90/2.8:

And some other pics )

09-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I also have this lens and I like it. Very sharp, smooth bokeh; manual focus is precise.

I sometimes see a bit of purple fringing and a little blue tint at wide apertures. This is maybe the only negative point I found with this lens.

I also used this lens for avian portraits. There is a place I sometimes go to feed birds in my hand; meanwhile, with my right hand, I can hold my K10D and take some pics with the help of autofocus.

Here are two pics taken this way:

other bird pics with Tamron 90/2.8:

David

How on earth you could get it so close? They are friendly bird but getting so close and have them focused is quite something. Job well done

Daniel
09-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
David

How on earth you could get it so close? They are friendly bird but getting so close and have them focused is quite something. Job well done

Daniel
The answer to your question is on the second picture that you quoted: FOOD !!

Some birds will become quite friendly if you regularly bring food (they generally like sunflower seeds) and if they understand that it is safe. At the place I took these pics, chickadees will follow you (and almost harass you !) until you gave them food ! I just needed to put some sunflower seeds in my hand, stayed calm and they came.

Sometimes, white-breasted nuthatches and downy woodpeckers (so cute !) will come on my hand. One time, a hairy woodpecker landed on my hand, started to eat seeds and stayed on my hand for more than one minute !

Taking a picture with the camera on the other hand and having the bird of focus is much harder. You need to be quick... and maybe a little bit lucky ! A lot of pics will be out of focus (it is difficult for the autofocus to get the eye of a moving bird on focus within 1 or 2 seconds at a so close distance !! But if you try a lot, with time, you'll succeed !

David
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, David07, great shots and skills, I like them all. Thanks for sharing your experience and showing the results with this lens. I have the same lens, but probably not able to come up with these beautiful shots as yours even if I have the chance to take them.

09-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
David

Suggestion: do not use AF. Use zone focusing with a very very short lens. I did that even with a woodpecker , a lot more difficult than a chickadee

You cannot rely on the AF to focus correctly at such distance.

This series tells you how I did

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=113707&forum_id=94&jump_to=669754#p669754 previous link not working

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 10-18-2008 at 11:10 PM.
09-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
David

Suggestion: do not use AF. Use zone focusing with a very very short lens. I did that even with a woodpecker , a lot more difficult than a chickadee

You cannot rely on the AF to focus correctly at such distance.

This series tells you how I did

Repost 16mm birdie shots in series - Pentax Fans Club

Daniel
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your suggestion. I did not go to this place where I feed birds for a while; I was planning go there soon, on a sunny weekend day. I think you are right, so I will try and post the results !

David
10-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More image from Tammy with my new K20D. Because I was really close to the cat, I had not had enough light at F13. So I bumped that up to iso1600

Daniel
10-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Daniel, great capture! (Looks like you had a flash mounted on the camera, but you didn't use it.)

10-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Daniel, great capture! (Looks like you had a flash mounted on the camera, but you didn't use it.)
Yes. I did bounce the flash up the ceiling. I cannot flash directly to his eyes.

Daniel
10-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Great shot for the reflection theme.
06-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok . Here is the sequel of this long thread. I had my FA100mm macro back from my daughter who somehow is not too keen using a heavy prime lens. So at the end of the day, I have disposed of my Tamron at my cost (2nd hand). In here I have mixed my Tamron 90mm shots with those of my test FA100mm macro shots. See what you guys prefer/think.
I have made the choice of selling off Tamron mainly as result of it still retaining 5 yrs of Can warranty left and it is almost brand appearance wise. As far as I can see they are just very very comparable. Really hard to make choice for a non-lens-collector

Daniel
06-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Varr-nice! It's a great lens if you everything is in focus.
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not just for macros anymore

I've got a slightly older copy without the "optimized for digital" coatings. To be truthful I haven't noticed any difference. What I really like about the lens is it's versalitility. Good outside portrait and excellent mid tele. Some of my favs with this lens over the years:

NaCl(it rarely leaves my bag)H2O