Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #1

pentax 28-70 f2.8

where is can find a good and detalied review about pentax Star 28-70 f2.8 ?

08-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of places...

QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
including right here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=219&cat=44

http://www.photodo.com/product_281.html

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/short/FA28-70f2.8.html

http://www.cetussoft.com/pentax/pntxfaq/lenses/pentax.html#fa2870pro

http://stans-photography.info/

Incredible lens. My primary lens for 13 years now. Heavy and intimidating, optically superb. Check my gallery here.

Cheers,
Cameron
08-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
hello Cambo
very thanks!

can you tell me more info about "powerzoom"?

on 28-70 i see 3 selections:
"PZ, AZ e MODE" and a button

can you give me more info in easy words about this selections and about button function?
08-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA*28-70/2.8 is a stunning performer. It's so sharp as to be scary and the color renditions it produces are very bright. Too bad the front element turns when focusing, that makes using polarizers and ND grads more difficult. I still love mine and wouldn't part with it.

You can find a good description of how to use the power zoom functions in the manual for the PZ1-p film camera. You can switch in or out of power zoom by pulling or pushing the zoom ring. Basic power zooming just means the zoom ring engages a motor that zooms in or out for you when you slightly turn the zoom ring. The button for other functions I've only used once on a longer zoom. You can set the button to zoom into 2 preset spots. I used it on a bird nest...set the zoom button to lock onto the nest, then I was able to work the birds in the tree and then when they would fly to the nest, I just pushed the button and the lens automatically zoomed to the preset spot. I was using this on a much larger lens and can't really see too many reasons to ever use the button with a 28-70. Maybe concert photos or people at a meeting, hit the button to zoom to the correct spot for each microphone?
Power zoom also offers a way to supposedly keep a subject the same size in the frame thought the subject is moving toward or away from you. I've never used this function.
Based on other responses I've seen, pretty much nobody uses the zoom button. It is neither a reason to buy nor a reason to avoid the lens. The optical quality alone justifies the price on this lens.

08-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron...

Thanks Ron for the reference material!

I've wanted to "play" with the FA* 80-200/2.8 power zoom function more. Unfortuantely documentation is not very good in the FA lens manual. I'll check the PZ-1P manual out!

Obviously you know why I am interested in learning more... decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Marc
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Marc,

I have Fa*80-200 and the manual.
But I only have K100D right now so can't really try power zoom functions.

As I know, the features will all work with older SLR like PZ-1 but with DSLR like K10D / K20D, only 2 features that works.

If you have question, you can ask me and I'll look it up in the manual.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

I've wanted to "play" with the FA* 80-200/2.8 power zoom function more. Unfortuantely documentation is not very good in the FA lens manual. I'll check the PZ-1P manual out!

Obviously you know why I am interested in learning more... decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Marc
08-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Marc,

I have Fa*80-200 and the manual.
But I only have K100D right now so can't really try power zoom functions.

As I know, the features will all work with older SLR like PZ-1 but with DSLR like K10D / K20D, only 2 features that works.

If you have question, you can ask me and I'll look it up in the manual.
so the "button" on the 28-70 is not usefull for k10d?

08-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Cheers,
Marc
Marc,

If you are interested in the FA*80-200 f2.8, all I can say is that you won't be disappointed except that it is heavy! I really cannot recommend it highly enough and it really is a beautiful piece of kit.

As for the power zoom function, the only thing that works is the actual power zoom feature and none of the other features, like "Zoom Clip" and "Image Size Tracking" etc.

The power zoom works in 3(? I think) speeds/stages. You turn the zoom ring a small amount and it zooms slowly, you turn it a little more and it zooms faster and then you turn it to the last(?) amount and it zooms very fast. I find it an excellent feature as it frees up your hand a little more as you do not need to turn your hand, just move your fingers. This makes for a more steady zooming function and makes tracking your subject much easier.

On a manually operated zooming ring, if you can imagine when you have to turn your hand over the zoom barrel to zoom, you can accidently lose your subject out of the VF, especially if you need to zoom quickly. With the power zoom, it is a gentle movement of the fingers, rather than the whole hand, that makes for a smooth and uninterupted zoom. The tripod socket makes for a great cradle for your hand whilst two fingers are used to use the power zoom.

The other thing that can be of help is if you decide to manually focus and zoom at the same time. If you zoom with your left hand you can actually zoom with two fingers whilst using MF with another two fingers. It is difficult, but it can be done! Try doing that with a manually operated zoom!
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was one of the people who wrote a report on the FA*28-70 f2.8 zoom in the Pentax Forums lens data base.

All I can say is that the image quality is superb, IMO. Beautiful colour rendition, sharpness and bokeh(for a zoom).

I will iterate what Ron Boggs said:
"The FA*28-70/2.8 is a stunning performer. It's so sharp as to be scary and the color renditions it produces are very bright. Too bad the front element turns when focusing, that makes using polarizers and ND grads more difficult. I still love mine and wouldn't part with it. "

I love the power zoom function. See my reply to Marc Langille above to see my thoughts on it.
08-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops...

I believe I've mislead you Lance! I already own the FA* 80-200/2.8... I love the lens, and it's not too bad with a K10D/K20D + grip - fairly well balanced, and compared to my 300/2.8, it's a lightweight in comparison!

I am referring to a specific super telephoto with power zoom.... I get to test it out in October if all goes well...

Cheers,
Marc
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I believe I've mislead you Lance! I already own the FA* 80-200/2.8... I love the lens, and it's not too bad with a K10D/K20D + grip - fairly well balanced, and compared to my 300/2.8, it's a lightweight in comparison

I am referring to a specific super telephoto with power zoom.... I get to test it out in October if all goes well...

Cheers,
Marc
Aha! Now I understand.
08-07-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

so the "button" on the 28-70 is not usefull for k10d?
Platinum,

I don't think the button works with K10D.
Maybe Lance can confirm this.
08-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Platinum,

I don't think the button works with K10D.
Maybe Lance can confirm this.
Yeah, I can confirm those buttons and the switch do nothing on K10D/K20D. They are meant for PZ1p and probably PZ1 as well. I have both the 2870 and the 80200, both are excellent performers. I don't hesitate bringing them out and leaving those FA LE lenses at home
08-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
thanks a lot for info about "button"!
08-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #15

I usually try not to use the power zomm on my FA* 28-70 as the word is going around that its the weakest spot of the lens and the most likely thing to break on this othwerwise very well finished lens, and as it will be very difficult to get the Lens fixed again...