Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
Would I still want a pentax limited? absolutely and that's the problem. Mindset.
Don't get fixated on limiteds as such. The FA 77 is a nice lens but is not like the holy grail (imho the hype and the price is bigger than the actual performance).

If you want a long-focus prime and you are more into nature - then I am quite confident that you won't regret the purchase of D-FA 100 macro - vibrafoto has really appealing offer right now. In the wide-end I would suggest taking a look at the DA 12-24 F4.

02-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Don't get fixated on limiteds as such. The FA 77 is a nice lens but is not like the holy grail (imho the hype and the price is bigger than the actual performance).

If you want a long-focus prime and you are more into nature - then I am quite confident that you won't regret the purchase of D-FA 100 macro - vibrafoto has really appealing offer right now. In the wide-end I would suggest taking a look at the DA 12-24 F4.
I understand that. I've read that they weren't (limiteds) so expensive when they were initially released.
I'm not saying I'm buying FA77 now. It's still just an idea for a COMBO.

My first purchase would be HD20-40mm (if I don't change my mind about it).

Your suggested D-FA 100 macro looks interesting. And 100mm I guess would really be useful for me.
Pentax obj. 100mm f/2.8 D-FA Macro WR - VilbraFoto

I thought about what I like (would like) to take pictures of and since I'm a beginner still, I think that I'm sucker for bokeh and macro.
Sharpness goes without saying.

I also like manual lenses.
02-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think that I'm sucker for bokeh and macro.
I also like manual lenses.
Not sure why you'd by 20-40 then?
But apart from that, bokeh is not a subject in itself. Landscape, people, architecture, industrial, city, nature, flowers, insects... are.
I think it is better to think in terms of intended purpose. The choice of lenses for that purpose will narrow naturally down that way.
And getting a lens that allows you to play with bokeh will narrow it down even further.
02-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Not sure why you'd by 20-40 then?
I know it sounds contradicting (bokeh and macro and 20-40).

I want a quality wide angle lens (considering 20-40mm) for general everyday photography. As you've mentioned for city, architecture, landscape....

It's winter here. In late autumn I bought a motorcycle. Won't be able ride it until may.
I'd very much like to combine riding and photography. 20-40mm is kind of also "what your eyes see" lens.

I also want bokeh and macro capable lens because it's just fun to play with. Even at the comfort of ones home there're plenty of stuff to shoot macro.

But still, my priority of purchase would be a wide-angle lens.

02-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

i'd be a bit stuck on the 20mm side of the lens. It's just not that wide enough. every mm counts on the wide side
I used to own a nice allrounder: the da16-45 f4. Bit bigger though, but it gave very nice images. Replaced with combo 12-24 & fa31 now.
Choices... ;-)
02-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Why not pick up a used manual 28mm lens for now to help determine if you do want wider and save almost all of your 700 Euros until you are more confident of what you want or need in your lens purchase. I have not used the 20-40 as I had the 15/70 limited first and the 35 2.4DA and 40 XS before it came out and I added a used DA21 limited instead.

If you do go with the 20-40 adding the DA70 and maybe the DA15 would provide you with a wonderful two or three lens kit but the 21/35/70 gives a great three lens kit. I now use a four lens kit 15/21/35/70 and would drop the 15 if I could only take three. The 70 is probably my favourite Pentax lens of all time.
02-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #22

Original Poster
Interesting deals:
HD-20-40 + HOYA filter 700euros
Pentax 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED HD DA Limited DC WR Black - VilbraFoto

OR HD 20-40 + 35mm also 700euros
Pentax 20-40mm + 35mm - VilbraFoto

whole offers.
Objektyvai ir aksesuarai - Pentax - VilbraFoto

sigma 35mm 1.4 nice specs and reviews, but heavy
Sigma obj. 35mm f/1.4 AF DG HSM | Art (Pentax) (Liko 1vnt.) - VilbraFoto
02-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #23
Forum Member

Hands down the 20-40+35 is a better offer. BTW - the plastic 35 mm (which is not limited) is also a great lens optically.

Personally (taking into account what I know now and what I like to shoot and how I want it to look), I would go with this + this - stretches the budged a bit but well worth the money.

02-10-2017, 03:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have written that you wish to combine your photography with motorcycling. This leads me to think that you need a fairly compact and light-weight, yet very versatile combo. For this I think that your choice of the 20-40 Limited is ideal - it is a wonderful lens.

If you want a wider view only for static subjects (e.g. buildings or landscape scenes), you can take a few overlapping images with the 20-40, and join them to make a composite photo in computer software (e.g. Microsoft I.C.E. is free and excellent).

You might consider pairing the 20-40 with the 100 Macro - also relatively small and compact, and super-sharp whether used for macro or as a short telephoto. Plus for a bit more telephoto, the 100 is sharp enough to give you a bit more reach by cropping its images for screen view or smaller prints. For macro, one significant advantage of the 100 over the 35 - it is not necessary to get so close to your subject to achieve maximum magnification.

Philip
02-10-2017, 05:00 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Hands down the 20-40+35 is a better offer. BTW - the plastic 35 mm (which is not limited) is also a great lens optically.

Personally (taking into account what I know now and what I like to shoot and how I want it to look), I would go with this + this - stretches the budged a bit but well worth the money.
I like the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 D-FA Macro WR. I can see myself having lots of fun with it.
02-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I want a quality wide angle lens (considering 20-40mm) for general everyday photography. As you've mentioned for city, architecture, landscape....
I'll take back my reservation towards the focal range of the 20-40. I've been out and about with a F24-50 f4 (on my k3) and found it to be a versatile focal range for general walks out...
02-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If I were shooting APS-C only, and starting again, I would get the DA15, DA20-40 (if I could get a great copy - mine wasn't and I returned it) and DA70. Everything else would be gravy.
+1

For the OP, I think this would be a good 3-lens kit, unless one needs more long and macro. But I'm thinking it should travel well and give great images.
02-18-2017, 01:57 AM   #28

Original Poster
What do you think about the FA 43mm limited?
It got my attention as there is currently a nice deal in the local market.

HD DA20-40mm and FA 43mm MIJ. Both used, great condition. Each costs - 500EUR. If I was to pick one?
(FA limited is tempting).

Oh the possibilites of the combos DA15; FA43; DA70 vs. DA20-40 + 77mm vs. DA15 DA20-40 DA70
02-18-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Hello,

I'm considering to buy a new lens.
Currently my idea is to first buy HD DA 20-40mm limited, and down the line 77mm limited.
It depend what you already have and how much you wanna to carry and how often you want to change lenses.

For focal length:

DA40 + DA50 + DA70, the problem is basically you got 3 primes to cover a quite narrow focal range. Doesn't make sense for me. I don't want to swap DA40/DA50 for a small difference in framing all the time. You get 99% of the possibility with FA43 + DA70 and much smaller kit, quite less lenses changes and similar price if you go for used FA43. A better overall proposition if you go primes only.

If you take DA21 + DA40 + DA70 that's a nice set, to cover most of the common subjects. The same for DA20-40 + DA70 or FA77. Depending honestly I'd take a look at that DA15 it is incredible.

For max apperture:
Well problem is DA20-40 is f/4 at 40mm while for example DA35 f/2.4 is f/2.4 and FA43 is f/1.9. Whatever we want to say f/4 at 40mm mean no much bokeh and not much low light capabilities. not that terrible, but far from good and what you get with f/1.9 or f/2.4... If that goes with FA77 that means you get all the bokeh and low light you need for the tele and that at least for wide angle at 20mm you'd get quite acceptable low light. That's not perfect but ok.

For rendering.

Not all lenses render the same. It can be of value to have different rendering for different situations and overall to target the rendering that make most sense for what you tend to shot.

DA15, DA20-40, DA35 f/2.8 and DA40 have very contrasty rendering, lot of micro contrast, outstanding flare resistance. They would be best for things like landscapes, detailled scenes, photos with strong light source in the scene. DA21 and DA70 are the same but less aggresive.

FA lenses render quite differently. They have more gentle color gradiant with more subtility, not as harsh constrast that the DA can have sometime. They don't have this tendancy for dark blacks that can be sometime annoying that the DA15, DA20-40 or DA35 macro can show. But in case of contra light they are more sensitive to flare and they have more cromatic aberations. They are not optimized for digital.
I'd say FA are definitely better for bokeh and for people. Because of that more subtle, gentle rendering. the FAltds, in particular the FA31 and FA77 are truely exceptional for that and tend to make for fantastic photos whatever the subject. This is something shared by all nice lenses, but even more so with theses FAltd.

DA35 f/2.4 and DA50 are basically FA optical designs (from FA35 and FA50) but optimized for digital and with cheap plastic finish. They are truely great value. And their characteristics is a mix of the DA and FA. Not the best for anything but a bit of all.

Personally I have DA15, DA21, FA31, FA77 and F135 as primes. In most outing I get DA15, FA31, FA77. This give me overall the best rendering I could hope for because the FA can more easily be made to render like DA than the contrary with a bit of post processing and for critical landscape scenes the DA15 is without equivalent. In term of framing, I get 3 very different framing for 3 very different situations, giving me lot of control. In term of bokeh and low light, both FA31 and FA77 are very capable and I get much more possibiities than DA40 or DA70... Really.

Advice
My advice would be to get at least one of the FA ltd at some point if you can afford it for the bokeh and rendering. Here FA77 would make lot of sense. Likely like many there in the long run you'd replace all the DA lenses with FAltds in the long run if you try at least one! But the price isn't the same. Still I think that DA20-40 + FA77 is great as would be DA21 + DA35 f/2.5 + FA77.

Sample photos

DA35 f/2.8 Notice the constrast, micro contrast and deep blacks

DA35 f/2.8 is also a macro, that a real added value while keeping the bag small/light

But DA35 f/2.4 already incredible for the price, randering is less constrasty, less aggressive

FA77, honestly excel at everything you throw it at. There sometime some purple frigging but in most case pratically you don't see it.
FA77 for portraiture

FA77 for some bokeh and deph on moderately side objects... Notice how sharp it is

FA77 for landscapes

At time, longer focal length is invaluable for subject isolation and reach and so FA77 could be too short

DA15, with both the rendering and the focal length make for dramatic landscapes like no other

And it manage quite when you don't have much margin to frame or for high contrast

Keep in mind that by far the subject, the light, the moment are infinitely more important than the lens or camera.
And then even the right framing/composition, the photographic eyes is again infinitely more important.
Then after the screen you use to display the photo, the paper and studio used to frame/print is a again more important than the lens

For the lens itself, what is going to have the most influence are focal length (framing, perspective distortion/compression) and apperture (low light capabilities, bokeh, deph of field control). Then comes the rendering the color handling... And the least important of all is the sharpness and other things measured in technical lens reviews.

An example DA55-300, entry level lens... But interresting light, and composition. Nobody will ever notice the lens shortcomings.

02-18-2017, 05:26 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA15+DA20-40+DA70, that a good set, although I'm not sure if the DA35 macro would also be a good choice.