Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
HD DA 20-40 + 77mm???

Hello,

I'm considering to buy a new lens.
Currently my idea is to first buy HD DA 20-40mm limited, and down the line 77mm limited.

I've checked what's currently available to choose from.


HD DA 20-40mm Limited. NEW from shop 700.00
77mm NEW 850

HD DA 40mm f/2.8 limited 300
(technically used, practically new condition.)

DA 70mm F2.4 limited 320
(used, good condition).

SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 practically NEW 100

The three above seem like a tempting choice instead of a single 20-40mm, though I'd much like to own fewer yet more quality/fun lenses.

Since I'm using pentax camera, I'd like a pentax lens. Was at first considering sigma art series zoom, but read that they have some focusing issues (fixable with a dock?).

What lenses would you suggest to go for? is HD 20-40mm + 77mm a good idea? (that puts me at ignoring all the other limited primes from 20-40mm)

02-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,743
What things do you like to photograph?
02-06-2017, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,506
Hi Yipikaye, good questions.

I have the DA 20-40, and also the Limited Primes DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70. I have previously owned the DA35 Macro.

The big advantage of the DA20-40 is it is WR and therefore makes for a very good quality wide travel walk around lens, suitable for all weather. I noted this in a review of the lens here on PF.

Since purchasing the DA20-40 I have only had the DA21 on my camera a couple of times and the DA40 not at all. A good sharp copy of the DA20-40 is a very good lens, and genuinely is one of those pocketful of prime lenses. Sean Reid of Reid Reviews (subscription site) compares the DA20-40 favourably with the Leica Tri-Elmar. They have similar functions.

The DA70 is a very nice lens - small, light, and good for portraits and short telephoto uses.

I have found travelling that the DA20-40, DA55-300 WR and DA70 make a very good three lens kit that covers pretty much everything needed. If you need WR for a portrait/short telephoto lens then the DA*55/1.4 is another option.

In reality - all of the lenses you have mentioned above are good - so you can't get it wrong - it is just choices

Cheers

Ross
02-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
G.E.Zekai's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
20-40mm + 77mm seems like a good combo. 20-40 covers the standard range and you get a nice portraits/headshot lens with 77mm.

02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,143
QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
DA 70mm F2.4 limited 320€
(used, good condition).
it's a very good lens and FF future proof.. Personally i'd keep the savings vs the 77 for something like the da15 2ndhand. But that's me..
I use the 31mm as allrounder on apsc, but the 20-40 is probably a bit more versatile and WR.
All depends on what pics you like to take..
02-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi Yipikaye, good questions.

I have the DA 20-40, and also the Limited Primes DA15, DA21, DA40 and DA70. I have previously owned the DA35 Macro.

The big advantage of the DA20-40 is it is WR and therefore makes for a very good quality wide travel walk around lens, suitable for all weather. I noted this in a review of the lens here on PF.

Since purchasing the DA20-40 I have only had the DA21 on my camera a couple of times and the DA40 not at all. A good sharp copy of the DA20-40 is a very good lens, and genuinely is one of those pocketful of prime lenses. Sean Reid of Reid Reviews (subscription site) compares the DA20-40 favourably with the Leica Tri-Elmar. They have similar functions.

The DA70 is a very nice lens - small, light, and good for portraits and short telephoto uses.

I have found travelling that the DA20-40, DA55-300 WR and DA70 make a very good three lens kit that covers pretty much everything needed. If you need WR for a portrait/short telephoto lens then the DA*55/1.4 is another option.

In reality - all of the lenses you have mentioned above are good - so you can't get it wrong - it is just choices

Cheers

Ross
Thanks, that's a really helpful reply. I don't really need for lens to be WR, but it's certainly nice feature for a lens to have, and who knows what the future holds. I like your three lens traveling kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
20-40mm + 77mm seems like a good combo. 20-40 covers the standard range and you get a nice portraits/headshot lens with 77mm.
That's what I am thinking too. It also leaves space for a 50mm lens.


QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
it's a very good lens and FF future proof.. Personally i'd keep the savings vs the 77 for something like the da15 2ndhand. But that's me..
I use the 31mm as allrounder on apsc, but the 20-40 is probably a bit more versatile and WR.
All depends on what pics you like to take..
I'm only buying one lens (if I choose to spend 700EUROS on one). The 77mm if I decide to buy that too - it wouldn't be sooner than 2018

I'm a complete rookie at photography. I have a K-5 body, which I bought used. And was only playing with the 3 lenses that I've got.
18-55mm kit lens,
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2,
SMC Pentax M Zoom 75-150mm f/4.0 (as of late the apperture blades wouldn't work anymore on this one).

My most used lens out of the three is the 50mm. I barely use the 18-55mm kit lens (as I enjoy playing with a manual lens a bit more), but I liked the focal length it provided. 75-150mm was also fun to use (while it worked), but I struggled to achieve honestly satisfying results.
02-07-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Albi, Tarn, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 101
A 20-40 and 77m is a good choice.
Or, for the same price, 20-40 plus a used 15mm SMC (for starburst) and a used 70mm is more complete. I prefer this trio while traveling.
02-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,752
If I were shooting APS-C only, and starting again, I would get the DA15, DA20-40 (if I could get a great copy - mine wasn't and I returned it) and DA70. Everything else would be gravy.


Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.
02-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisfer Quote
A 20-40 and 77m is a good choice.
Or, for the same price, 20-40 plus a used 15mm SMC (for starburst) and a used 70mm is more complete. I prefer this trio while traveling.
What I really like, that all of you are not saying that 20-40mm is a bad idea (as long as it's not a bad copy of course).

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If I were shooting APS-C only, and starting again, I would get the DA15, DA20-40 (if I could get a great copy - mine wasn't and I returned it) and DA70. Everything else would be gravy.
I like the idea of going full frame, but at this moment the APS-C is more than enough for me I think. My wallet agrees.

I'm still learning. I've read couple of reviews, where people got a bad copy of this 20-40mm lens.
And I'm thinking whether I'd be able to understand if I get a bad copy too, due to my limited skills and knowledge.
Buying 20-40mm new from shop gives an advantage to be able to return it.
02-07-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 88
I wouldn't buy 20-40 limited...The focal range that it covers is not very convenient. If it was something like 12-35 mm or 15-35 mm, then it would be of interest. I also wouldn't buy HD 15 limited - it is not that good of a lens optically.
Your subjects and interests should dictate what is your most immediate lens purchase. As you haven't discussed it - it is hard to suggest something.

A very good all-around lens is HD 35 mm macro limited, also the HD 21mm limited is a great choice (gives you a field of view close to what you see with your eyes on APS-C). If you are more into people and portraits then FA77 limited would be a fine choice but HD 70 limited also provides very pleasant results plus it has quick-shift and focuses faster. Some people find ~100 mm macro lenses to be very handy - good for wildlife (some birds which are not very shy), for macro - flowers, bugs as well as portraits.

If i were you I would probably pass on FA77 and HD 20-40 at the first iteration and I would pass on 40mm pancake entirely. You can get maybe DA70+HD21 at first or some other combo - depends on your needs and interests.
02-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,143
QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
I barely use the 18-55mm kit lens (as I enjoy playing with a manual lens a bit more), but I liked the focal length it provided
Thinking about it, maybe something like a da17-70 , maybe secondhand, would be more useful. Longer focal range, covering wide angle as well in addition to your 50mm for portraits.. It's a lens that will always be useful when you start investing in primes, at least untill you find out your taste a bit better.. Unless you really want to go smallish..
02-08-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Albi, Tarn, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 101
QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
you are not saying that 20-40mm is a bad idea (as long as it's not a bad copy of course)
Because I have 16-50, 17-70, 21mm, 43mm and, when I must choose (travels) I really prefer the 20-40mm (once I get a good copy).

I also have the 77mm and the 70mm, the 77mm is a better choice for portrait (aperture, bokeh), but it is expensive and the 70mm is very good (enough) for travels.
The 15mm Limited is not a perfect lens, but it is very small and goodly - for complete - if you like to use wide angle.

If I had to choose between 77mm or 15mm + 70mm to complete the 20-40 I'll take the duo.
02-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,506
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisfer Quote
If I had to choose between 77mm or 15mm + 70mm to complete the 20-40 I'll take the duo.
Interestingly that was exactly the choice I ended up making
02-08-2017, 02:21 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
I wouldn't buy 20-40 limited...The focal range that it covers is not very convenient. If it was something like 12-35 mm or 15-35 mm, then it would be of interest. I also wouldn't buy HD 15 limited - it is not that good of a lens optically.
Your subjects and interests should dictate what is your most immediate lens purchase. As you haven't discussed it - it is hard to suggest something.

A very good all-around lens is HD 35 mm macro limited, also the HD 21mm limited is a great choice (gives you a field of view close to what you see with your eyes on APS-C). If you are more into people and portraits then FA77 limited would be a fine choice but HD 70 limited also provides very pleasant results plus it has quick-shift and focuses faster. Some people find ~100 mm macro lenses to be very handy - good for wildlife (some birds which are not very shy), for macro - flowers, bugs as well as portraits.

If i were you I would probably pass on FA77 and HD 20-40 at the first iteration and I would pass on 40mm pancake entirely. You can get maybe DA70+HD21 at first or some other combo - depends on your needs and interests.
I like the 35mm. HD version is 500EUROS though. I would really enjoy playing with 35mm macro, but my concern is whether f2.8 good enough for that?
I'm not really into portraits and people photography, but FA77 (or 70) still seems capable to provide enjoyable photo opportunities.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Thinking about it, maybe something like a da17-70 , maybe secondhand, would be more useful. Longer focal range, covering wide angle as well in addition to your 50mm for portraits.. It's a lens that will always be useful when you start investing in primes, at least untill you find out your taste a bit better.. Unless you really want to go smallish..
To be honest I prefer a prime lenses. At least the idea of it. Somehow my mind tells me, that ~15-85mm range should covered exclusively only with primes. For the above range I don't really care if it's prime or zoom. 100% prejudice opinion that is probably bound to change as time passes by.

HD 20-40mm is the exception and apeals to me because it's LIMITED. (apple has iphone, pentax has limited).
SIGMA ART 16-35mm appeals, obviously, due to 1.8 constant apperture.

When I mentioned I wanted to use pentax lenses because I have a pentax camera, I kind of ment - pentax limited lenses. I would prefer pentax, but have no problem with other manufacturers if they're better for the price.

this one's 444EUROS NEW.
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
SMC Pentax-DA 17-70mm F4 AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Would one of those lenses be more useful to me? absolutely.
Would I still want a pentax limited? absolutely and that's the problem. Mindset.
02-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,143
QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
I'm not really into portraits and people photography, but FA77 (or 70) still seems capable to provide enjoyable photo opportunities.
In that case i'd certainly would go for a da70 rather than FA77..

QuoteOriginally posted by yipikaye Quote
Would one of those lenses be more useful to me? absolutely.
Would I still want a pentax limited? absolutely and that's the problem. Mindset.
Nothing wrong with that. Loving the gear you use is part of the experience..
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20-40mm, 77mm, da, hd, hd da, idea, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD DA 20-40 vs Sigma 18-35? butangmucat Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 02-06-2017 11:32 AM
HD DA 20-40 FF mod? baffle remove? PiotrKrochmal Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-03-2017 02:58 AM
HD DA 20-40 Zoom Resistance butangmucat Repairs and Warranty Service 3 01-01-2017 01:02 AM
HD DA 20-40 buying tips please TrailRunner Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 03-29-2015 03:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top