Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Alignment of rectangular window on Takumar M42 lenses

Some of the Takumar lenses have a rectangular window at the rear,
Is there any trick to get this aligned with the screw to K adapter? I found a thread on this topic but that does not discuss how to align this.
I would be using it on my K5II

Attached Images

02-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the takumars were designed for full frame, this window will not interfere at all with a crop sensor camera like the K5

Even on a k1 it is unlikely to be an issue because it will have margin for a full frame body, what it does is actually limit stay light from the mirror box
02-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Given the takumars were designed for full frame, this window will not interfere at all with a crop sensor camera like the K5

Even on a k1 it is unlikely to be an issue because it will have margin for a full frame body, what it does is actually limit stay light from the mirror box
As an afterthought, remember crop sensor is 16x 24 mm, full frame is 24x36mm

You could mount this 90degrees off and not have an issue
02-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The OEM Pentax adapter is designed so lenses will sit slightly off 12 o'clock when fully tightened
yes I have noticed this with my M42 lenses with the Pentax adapter, why is that do you think?

02-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #5

A few people report that their lenses will mount aligned to the 12 o'clock position. I have 3 OEM adapters - one branded Pentax Japan and the other two branded Pentax Philippines. None align to 12 o'clock. I wonder if the Asahi Pentax Japan branded adapters are different or perhaps only a run up to a certain point.
02-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the nice responses that answered my doubts!
I think I can safely look at buying one of those lenses and if I wanted, I can clear that opening (which I doubt would do if nothing is interefering!)
Appreciate the feedback from all -
02-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks for your answer, makes sense, cheers.

02-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
My theory might be wrong. I just double checked with two MIJ adapters, one marked "Asahi Pentax," and one just "PENTAX," and both mount with the lens at about The 11 o'clock position. For more clearance for the switch, one would assume it would be offset the other way, at 1 o'clock. The plot thickens..
On my Vivitar screw mount lenses the A/M switch is located 180° from where it is on Takumars. I find it very inconveniently located and difficult to operate. The lower profile of the switch doesn't help either. I would suppose that back in the day users with bodies lacking the auto aperture feature were just used to manually stopping down or using pre-set lenses that they would just leave it on manual.

Another theory is that the offset is to make it easier to read the scales on the lens because of the prism overhang.

Or it could be the built-in tolerance to allow for individual variation of lenses.