Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 12:42 AM   #1

A Carl Zeiss Pk Zoom ?

Hello

I saw recently in a french ad website a person who sell a Pentax KM with a zoom Carl Zeiss 700-210 fF2.8/4 with PK/A mount, see the photo below :

I was first surprised that Carl Zeiss made zoom for Pentax, but after few searchs on many forums, I saw that japanese lenses were rebadged with CArl Zeiss licence in some countries. So i suppose this lens is a Komine version of the Vivitar serie 1 70-210.

If anyone ever possessed this lense or have some information about it, I would like to read it. Thanks.

02-09-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
bxf
Pentaxian

I believe this would be a "Carl Zeiss Jena" product. Although this label produces some decent lenses, it is not the Carl Zeiss we all admire.
02-09-2017, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
UMC

Photos: Gallery
Optic industry in the former German Democratic Republic had always struggled not to lose connection to Western competition. By the early 1980ies they were no longer able to fulfill market demands - neither in export nor in their domestic market. All Eastern German photo industry was extremely short of resources - engineers, manpower, manufacturing capacity. They had a lack of electronic supply and even in their core competency, the optic design, they lost the ability to keep the pace of the Japanese industry.

In this hopeless situation political leaders decided to merge all optic activity (mainly run by VEB Kombinat Pentacon Dresden) into the flagship electronic trust (sic!) VEB Kombinat Carl Zeiss Jena. But even merging these big (Eastern) players could not resolve the shortcomings of the economical system of Eastern Germany. Pentacton needed a wider range of lenses for their Practica B series than Carl Zeiss Jena could develop.Although there was strong resistance from the political decision takers, they had to start importing and rebading Japanese OEM lenses - even at the high expense of spending precious dollars and other foreign currency for import.

And this is why we find a quite large range of Cosina OEM lenses under the misleading "Carl Zeiss Jena" or "Exacta" brand, sometime even labled with the anachronistic sentence "Lens made in Japan under license from Carl Zeiss Jena". Imagine that sentence on the bred-and-butter Cosina 70-210 4.5-5.6 that was elsewhere sold as Vivitar, Miranda and whatsoever off-brand name.

Bottom line: Carl Zeiss (western) has nothing to do with Carl Zeiss Jena (Eastern). And Carl Zeiss Jena sometimes means just "rebadged Cosina standarad OEM product".
02-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the camera is an MX. It looks too small to be a KM or KX. It has the little window for seeing the aperture ring setting in the viewfinder. It has the shutter button lock and dual PC terminals. The lens is an M50/1.7, not a K55/1.8 like you'd expect on a KM. The manual might be an MX manual too, and also shows an M50/1.7.

02-10-2017, 01:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes the camera is a MX, I don't know why I said KM, it's writen in the ad...
dcshooter you said this is de Cosina version of the serie 1 (version 4), so it's the same optical design of the QDOS version.
As I see, it's a very rare lens.
02-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The V4, which the CZJ is identical optically to, is the non-Q-DOS version and is pretty common. The rare Q-DOS version (V5) featured internal red/blue filters for taking anaglyphic 3-D photos.
Perhaps. But at least some of the CZJ 70-210/2.8-4 lenses (at least the ones I've been able to see enough of to judge) look more like the V6 VS1 design (the "Apochromatic" VS1 version, which has 62mm filter threads) (unlike the V4 and Q-DOS V5 designs, which have 58mm filter threads). Of course, the V4-and-V5 versus V6 optical designs might indeed all be at least quite similar -- the "Apochromatic" label on the 62mm V6 design may actually have been "engineered" in the Marketing Department for all we know.

So, perhaps.

Last edited by fwcetus; 02-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.