Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. Is the above lens the 300 6.3 or is it the 200/3.5? I can't tell. I just picked up the lens, and it honestly isn't feeling that heavy to me at all. My sigma 24-105 art is about twice the weight, and my Rokinon 100mm is about just as heavy. I feel like those two modern lenses would have come with a collar if they were meant to. So at this point, not worried!

Now to find a reasonably priced deep lens hood..

02-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The one pictured is the 200 3.5. The 300 6.3 is much longer and thinner.
02-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Inactive Account

On my above $5 build for the collar there is one thing I need to mention. DO NOT screw on a M42 adapter that still has the locking spring intact.
Remove the locking spring/detent before screwing the lens onto the adapter. Then after tightening it down , align the red dots and install the entire lens and bracket.
There is so little clearance that it is a !@#$% trying to screw the DIY mount and lens around and around while mounting/unmounting at the same time.
There just isn't enough clearance.
I just leave a generic adapter with lock spring removed on the lens for easy mounting and unmounting from the body.
02-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #19
Inactive Account

here is a couple more pics of it on the 200mm f3.5
Get ready to have your Mind Blown with the image quality when you get this lens down to a science and are comfortable with it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
02-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The one pictured is the 200 3.5. The 300 6.3 is much longer and thinner.
I have the 200mm 3.5, so that's fine.

---------- Post added 02-10-17 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
On my above $5 build for the collar there is one thing I need to mention. DO NOT screw on a M42 adapter that still has the locking spring intact.
Remove the locking spring/detent before screwing the lens onto the adapter. Then after tightening it down , align the red dots and install the entire lens and bracket.
There is so little clearance that it is a !@#$% trying to screw the DIY mount and lens around and around while mounting/unmounting at the same time.
There just isn't enough clearance.
I just leave a generic adapter with lock spring removed on the lens for easy mounting and unmounting from the body.
Thanks! Yeah man, I would love for you to send me your supplies and I will give it a shot!

You can mail to:

I really appreciate it!

While I've got you..I also need to find a good lens hood.. There is a good one on B&H for $40 and some very similar ones on eBay for about $10. How deep is the original lens hood?

Last edited by Adam; 02-10-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed address
02-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hopkins802 Quote
I have the 200mm 3.5, so that's fine.

---------- Post added 02-10-17 at 01:08 PM ----------

Thanks! Yeah man, I would love for you to send me your supplies and I will give it a shot!

I really appreciate it!

While I've got you..I also need to find a good lens hood.. There is a good one on B&H for $40 and some very similar ones on eBay for about $10. How deep is the original lens hood?
Ok. I have Your address so go ahead and delete it from the Post so 1 million others DONT have it too !

I also added the threaded knob from another project and will include a socket screw and washers to mount it to a tripod Plate. I also will trim down the ears on the bracket so there is No clearance issue for your camera just in case.
I also cut and glued the thick Felt to the bracket to keep it in place.
Its now Complete 100%. Worse case scenario is there could be a clearance issue with the knob on your camera Body , but that can be replaced on your end easily at a Hardware store.
I will get it shipped out to you on Monday.

My original Hood isn't marked with a mm size , but is about 2.75" deep and the end is about 1/2" larger in diameter than the lens filter size .
I wouldn't spend more than about $10 for a Generic hood from Ebay or Amazon. Just make sure and get one that is slightly flared on the end. Being a tele it isn't going to be a critical decision at all.

ALSO...NOTE. When using the lens on my K3II , K30 , or K-1.... the lens does NOT cover (short) the electric contacts using a M42 adapter. I have to short my contacts to get the Green Button Pentax Metering with a piece of aluminum foil or aluminum backed tape. I have no idea what camera your using so just ask if help is needed in this area.

Last edited by WestBug; 02-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.
02-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #22

Original Poster
Ok. I have Your address so go ahead and delete it from the Post so 1 million others DONT have it too !

I also added the threaded knob from another project and will include a socket screw and washers to mount it to a tripod Plate. I also will trim down the ears on the bracket so there is No clearance issue for your camera just in case.
I also cut and glued the thick Felt to the bracket to keep it in place.
Its now Complete 100%. Worse case scenario is there could be a clearance issue with the knob on your camera Body , but that can be replaced on your end easily at a Hardware store.
I will get it shipped out to you on Monday.

My original Hood isn't marked with a mm size , but is about 2.75" deep and the end is about 1/2" larger in diameter than the lens filter size .
I wouldn't spend more than about $10 for a Generic hood from Ebay or Amazon. Just make sure and get one that is slightly flared on the end. Being a tele it isn't going to be a critical decision at all.

ALSO...NOTE. When using the lens on my K3II , K30 , or K-1.... the lens does NOT cover (short) the electric contacts using a M42 adapter. I have to short my contacts to get the Green Button Pentax Metering with a piece of aluminum foil or aluminum backed tape. I have no idea what camera your using so just ask if help is needed in this area.
Thanks! And damn you're right. How would I go about deleting that post with my address?

02-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy a #5 Conduit clamp , 2 rubber washers , 1 steel washer , and a 1/4" threaded knob.
I used a piece of felt under the clamp to keep the barrel from being scratched.
Mount it on an extra plate or a Aluminum rail with a few spacers under it for correct height.
Voila !
Love that! I'll have to do that and sell my collar.
02-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Thanks! And damn you're right. How would I go about deleting that post with my address?
Because you are a new member , you might ask one of the moderators with help on that. I know you have to have several post before Full posting privilege's are granted such as editing.
02-10-2017, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #25
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
How would I go about deleting that post with my address?
I see the Admin has already fixed you up.

But for future reference, there is a large button in the lower right corner of every post that you put up. It has two words on it.

Edit Message

Click it.

If there aren't enough options click the button with these words on it:

Go Advanced

Keep in mind that you will have to click another button after you have edited your post.

Save

So easy a caveman could do it.

Don't bother thanking me, just drop a dollar in the bucket in the corner of my profile.
02-11-2017, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Inactive Account

To Dan the OP.
Here is what it looks like all done.
Included here are a couple pics of the hood , and the mounting to a Arca Swiss style plates all my tripods use.
Including the screws for the mount , ground off the metal bracket edges/ears for clearance , and have trimmed the knob down too.
It doesn't show clearly , but there is heavy Felt glued to the inside of clamp.
I'm very pleased with the fit and balance , and hope You don't mind the oven baked Pentax Pumpkin Orange color scheme. lol.
Shipping yours out Monday , and hope it all works for your Sony as well as it has my Pentax setups.
Enjoy!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 

Last edited by WestBug; 02-11-2017 at 07:55 AM.
02-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

To Dan the OP.
Here is what it looks like all done.
Included here are a couple pics of the hood , and the mounting to a Arca Swiss style plates all my tripods use.
Including the screws for the mount , ground off the metal bracket edges/ears for clearance , and have trimmed the knob down too.
It doesn't show clearly , but there is heavy Felt glued to the inside of clamp.
I'm very pleased with the fit and balance , and hope You don't mind the oven baked Pentax Pumpkin Orange color scheme. lol.
Shipping yours out Monday , and hope it all works for your Sony as well as it has my Pentax setups.
Enjoy!
Nice work. You should make a bunch up and offer them for sale. I bet you could get $50 each for them.

Easily.

Maybe even offer "Kustom Kolors" with pinstripes or flames as options.

Oh yeah, and do a web search for knurled knobs. Even cleaner than the three pointed one, and would offer more clearance.

And it matches the knobs on your ball head.

Sano.
02-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Sano, that knob looks awesome. I'll probably grab one for to make it a more sleek design.

WestBug, that thing looks so good, thanks so much!
02-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who didn't live through the era, Sano was an obscure term used in car culture circles. It referred to a real clean build. Hidden hinges, shaved door handles, clean underhood treatment, etc.

An adaptation of the word sanitary.
02-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #30

Original Poster
Sano

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
For those who didn't live through the era, Sano was an obscure term used in car culture circles. It referred to a real clean build. Hidden hinges, shaved door handles, clean underhood treatment, etc.

An adaptation of the word sanitary.
Whoa, that's awesome. This forum is super interesting.. Learning something new everyday! I just that Sano was your name... My bad...Haha.

Just took the 200mm 3.5 Takumar out for a spin.. I'll post some pictures / videos if anything came out good.

-Dan