Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #16

There's no shame, no regret in using a 50. Out of all the lenses I've used for a decent period of time (not too many, but a nice selection), 50's are just plain fun to shoot with. On a APS-C, it's the perfect FL for tight compositions.

OTOH, you won't regret getting a Sigma 28/1.8 either... it's incredibly sharp, awesome bokeh, and fast.

08-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
I knew there would be a response from someone who would be willing to take the lens off my hands

Everyone pretty much has confirmed what I thought all along, the 50/1.4 is a great lens, especially for the price. I would probably end up missing it as well.

Now I have to decide what my next lens will be...

Seems like the 35/2.0 is also very popular. One reason I liked that one was because it will give me a little more room to work with when I am shooting indoors. Size might also be a consideration, I have been intrigued by the "pancake" lenses.
If you like pancakes, go for the DA40:

I have one and i really love it, it's quite, discrete, performs wel an suddenly your camera does fit in the pocket of your jack It's on of my most favorite lenses!
08-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
I'm pretty new to photography, and haven't really had the chance to shoot with any of the more expensive lens. I currently have a K10D with the 18-55 kit lens, the FA50/1.4 and a Tamron 70-300.
That was my exact lens lineup. Then I upgraded from the Tamron to the DA 55-300mm, and I upgraded from the kit lens to the 16-45mm. I'm very happy with this three-lens combination.

I love the FA 50mm. It's a better length for portraits than the shorter lenses, so you should definitely keep it. As long as you have the 50mm you don't need to lust after expensive lenses. It can hang with any of them. A 24mm would be an interesting focal length if you want another prime. Or the 21mm Ltd.
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're leaning towards a 28mm lens, then perhaps you should consider picking up a used F or FA 28/2.8. Both of them are a lot smaller than the Sigma and reasonably priced (usually under $300).
Pentax Lens Review Database - 28mm F2.8 AL
Pentax Lens Review Database - 28mm F2.8

Sample pics:
Pentax smc P-FA 28mm f/2.8 AL Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Perhaps someone around here would be willing to part with theirs or you could check Fleabay, as well.

HTH,
Heather

08-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If you're leaning towards a 28mm lens, then perhaps you should consider picking up a used F or FA 28/2.8. Both of them are a lot smaller than the Sigma and reasonably priced (usually under $300).
Perhaps someone around here would be willing to part with theirs or you could check Fleabay, as well.
I have the FA28 and it's a nice little walkaround prime - actually a better length in some ways than the DA21. Slightly loses edge contrast wide open, but that's easily sharpened up, and generally it produces really nice results. Not that many of them around, so you don't hear about it all that often ...

Tim
08-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I made a quick decision and picked up the sigma 28/1.8 off the marketplace. I figured since I take a lot of indoor photos, and the 50/1.4 sometimes isn't wide enough, the 28/1.8 should suit my particular needs.

I liked the idea of holding on to it, at least for a few months to see if it really gets neglected.

In looking for a new lens, I did what many/most of you have probably done. That is, write down what you have and what lenses you want to cover the wide spectrum of focal ranges. All I see are $$$ and that I have a long way to go
08-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Keep the 50mm, leave on the camera for a week.

Learn to love it, try use it for everything for just one week, you will find it hard to part with once you realise what a gem it is.

IMHO it's just one of the best on the block.