Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And when my friends ask me why there are so few modern lenses suited to the FF, I will tell them what ?

02-11-2017, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

I'm still trying to imagine what a 2kg 50mm would be like....

Announcing the Sigma 50mm f0.9 DG HSM Art! Coming this spring for only $1449.
02-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Mark II (w 'PLM' and other tune-ups) versions of some DA*'s like the 60-250, 50-135, 300mm and 560mm seem overdue. Probably retiring old SDM technology completely would be a good Mark II improvement for a lot of DA*'s.

That's what Canon or Nikon would do - eg the Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens has gone through a major revision every 5 or 6 years (V1, VII, E FL).
just fine, thanks
02-11-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Troll topic
That's obvious; the first post is very different from the title. Nice images, by the way.

We know this:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_D_FA_Lens_Roadmap.pdf
We're in February, just before CP+ (and less than a year since the first Pentax FF DSLR). It's a bit early to complain they didn't delivered what was promised, and it's weird to complain that a company known for making wonderful lenses is "unable" to make yet another 50mm.

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 04:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
And when my friends ask me why there are so few modern lenses suited to the FF, I will tell them what ?
That in the first year, Sony only had 5 FE lenses

02-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Be a lot easier and cheaper to simply partner with Sigma and Tamron to support K mount again. Their modern lenses have outstanding IQ and great prices compared to what Pentax would need to charge for OEM lens for their relatively small base. Then Pentax can focus on competing with Canikon in bodies only where they did quite well with the K-1. A new sports body with 10 fps, big buffer and good AF and sit back and collect the money.
02-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That's just to see what starting a system from scratch looks like.
02-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #22
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
Be a lot easier and cheaper to simply partner with Sigma and Tamron to support K mount again. Their modern lenses have outstanding IQ and great prices compared to what Pentax would need to charge for OEM lens for their relatively small base. Then Pentax can focus on competing with Canikon in bodies only where they did quite well with the K-1. A new sports body with 10 fps, big buffer and good AF and sit back and collect the money.
For FF, the only Sigma lenses, of which they offer, I want to buy are the 24-105 f/4 and the 150-600 contemporary.

The former would not be serious competition to anything Pentax offer. (Not even the HD 28-105 f/variable) The latter would likely eat into 150-450mm sales, so I never expect to see it until Sigma offer it on their own.

I'd still like to see a nice, modern 20mm, 24mm, and 85mm come out for K mount since those seem to be key areas where K mount is lacking right now imo.

Sports body would be neat, but what lenses will be used to drive it? I think the lens selection would again need revising.. At this point, we're still awaiting a deeper catalog of lenses for the non-sports oriented K-1.

02-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
I don't think Pentax competes with Canon, certainly not if all they do is rebadge third-party lenses. SItting back and "taking the money" is the path to irrelevance - as seen over the last 14 years.
02-11-2017, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

and not sure that it reassure my "friends" on pentax efficiency....
I said this recently in another thread:

"Given the choice of "Release K-1 as soon as possible" or "Release K-1 only when 8, (9, 10, 11+) new FF lenses
are ready for co-release", which would you choose?"
02-11-2017, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

What are your requirements from gear? That it get the job done or that you can say nice words about it to friends instead of focussing on shooting nice photos?

Objectively, Pentax has the most modern zoom FF line-up in the whole industry as they all been quite recently released. Likely any Canon or Nikon shooter has to cope with older gear.

But if your problem is that you can't decide for yourself and feel weakened in your choices by your friends opinion just make a doodle with all the friends you want to impress and ask them what would be the gear they would be the most impressed to have you buy, that more effective than complaining there.
02-11-2017, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #26
mee
Veteran Member

What are you requirement from gear? That it get the job done or that you can say nice words about it to friends instead of focussing on shooting nice photos?

And arguably, Pentax has the most modern zoom FF line-up in the whole industry as they all been quite recently released. Likely any Canon or Nikon shooter has to cope with older gear.
Yet those are Tamron adaptions/collaborations. If a Canon or Nikon shooter wants those (at least the 15-30 and the 24-70), they buy them straight from Tamron.

In addition, they have a larger selection of options from their parent company. It stinks but that's the honest truth if we look at it without making up excuses.

I don't doubt the holes will be plugged, but right now there are holes in the K-1's lens offerings. In 2 weeks some of that will probably be filled so the wait isn't too much longer to see.

Patience is our friend here..
02-11-2017, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

You send them to this forum, to Flickr, to 500px and let the photos speak for themselves.
02-11-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yet those are Tamron adaptions/collaborations. If a Canon or Nikon shooter wants those (at least the 15-30 and the 24-70), they buy them straight from Tamron.*
What is the issue then? Even if you buy the tamron in Canikon you would not get the same coating buid and so on. But I was thinking there was a complain that there was a lack of lenses. I didn't know that it had to be designed by Canon or Nikon to apply. Like Pentax or tamron can't make great lenses. Come on.

If what you want is Canon/Nikon designed lenses then go buy one. If you think Pentax doesn't have what you need, don't buy it. Simple as that.

But while you are complaining and I am arguing with you, people get nice shots all over the word with the best gear: the one they have with them.
02-11-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #29
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well some primes are on the roadmap. So a few of them would be expected for the upcoming cp+ show.

Pentax is missing some lenses that are popular for other brands. 70-300mm or 80-400 in that range. Some wide lenses. There is work to be done.

The relative problem is the low number of sales that can be expected for those lenses. Pentax now maybe sells some 1500-2500 units of K-1 in a month or so since it is downseazon for photography at the moment. How many lenses can you sell on that?
02-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

What is the issue then? Even if you buy the tamron in Canikon you would not get the same coating buid and so on. But I was thinking there was a complain that there was a lack of lenses. I didn't know that it had to be designed by Canon or Nikon to apply. Like Pentax or tamron can't make great lenses. Come on.
Well they do, because Nikon (for example) has a nice 24-70 f/2.8, 24-85, 24-120 f/4 as well as Sigma 24-105 f/4 and a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 -- lots of options for different needs and price points. Very healthy.

The point still stands, the lens offerings in K mount at the retail setting are still very slim comparatively to Canon or Nikon. And, like it or not, Since Pentax offers DSLRs, they are in direct competition with Canon and Nikon (whom also make DSLRs). For someone who wants to switch brands, if they walk into a B&H or other camera store and Look at a Canon, Nikon, and Pentax FF they are going to see one of the biggest differences is lens selection. 'Where is X that I was used to shooting with in my other brand?' It isn't there.. That is an issue whether you like it or not.

My other point also still stands, Ricoh will continue to slowly release more lenses to fill the gaps.

Hopefully, that will spark 3rd parties to start offering more of their own lenses. But I don't see that happening for another couple of years, if ever.

We don't need to apologize for Pentax. They're big boys and can handle it. Admitting to the issues they face is the first stage in resolving some of those issues. We can't just sweep it under the rug and say everything is great.

---------- Post added 02-11-17 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well some primes are on the roadmap. So a few of them would be expected for the upcoming cp+ show.

Pentax is missing some lenses that are popular for other brands. 70-300mm or 80-400 in that range. Some wide lenses. There is work to be done.

The relative problem is the low number of sales that can be expected for those lenses. Pentax now maybe sells some 1500-2500 units of K-1 in a month or so since it is downseazon for photography at the moment. How many lenses can you sell on that?
Yes, I think you're right and that is the bigger issue with why we don't see more lenses so quickly. It is probably Ricoh being conservative and feeding us the lenses only when it thinks they are viable for the market (they will sell well). Plus they seem to take their time with their own designs.. trying to get them 'right.'

Otherwise what is the point of offering 30 new lenses if most are going to collect dust in a warehouse? We probably only see the most demanded lenses hit the market (as Pentax branded), and the wider selection beneath that (seen in other brands) will never come to fruition.