Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
- Want new lenses, but will most likely never buy one of them
That's the best point. How many crying mother that Pentax did not have a full frame camera, threatening to switch brand, and when the Pentax full frame (best value for money) was released, half of the crying babies were gone. Pathetic.

I guess those are the symptoms of mature market: basically, people already have more than what they need, and by the least deviation of what they expect, they are very unhappy.

02-12-2017, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

He his just on my ignore list, problem resolve. Do not feed him.
02-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Just only fueling the whole thing. Got it.
Nuff said.

Boriscletoed.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
He his just on my ignore list, problem resolve. Do not feed him.
So this is the only clear thing that came out of this thread: Gedeon as another ignore list dweller. Done.
02-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #64
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to correct forum...

02-12-2017, 03:09 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I'm still wishing for the remake of the current APSC zoom lens line up using the PLM system. I'm also wishing for the firmware update on the k-5II/s to support the KAF4 mount. Just wishing out loud. I hope Ricoh hears me.
02-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It is nonsense, however the 15-30 and the 24-70 are indeed made by Tamron (presumably with Pentax coatings). That's 2 lenses - well, 3 with the 18-270 - out of how many?

The licensing of optical designs... that sounds like the collaboration with Tokina; back then, most of the "shared" lenses were Pentax optical designs. Both companies made their own versions.
I dont understand why it can matter toknow that some lenses designs are licensed from another company, or even are manufactured in this other company plant: when I buy a Pentax branded lens, I expect a certain level of building quality and performance (weather resistance, global IQ, colour rendering, flare resistance, a.s.o.), with lens profiles developed to get the best out of the lens both in-camera for jpegs and in most PP softwares.
I dont care how the backstage works, as long as the performance meet my expectations.

Comparing the prices between a third party lens and an OEM lens is a nonsense. Third party manufacturers cannot ask as much as the OEM brand, whether Canon, Nikon, Sony or Pentax. They know they can ask high prices only for specific lenses that the OEM doesnt sell, like some of the Sigma Art or some Tamron superzooms. When it comes to lenses close to what the OEM sells, third party lenses need to be heavily discounted, otherwise the customers will buy the OEM.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The FA50 is old and the DFA50 is a macro, and that just doesn't always work (like if you want fast focus). The DA*55, while wonderful, does vignette on FF. It's noticeable even at f/2.8. The DA50 has a plastic mount. What they need is to scrap the FA50 and revise the DA*55 a bit; a premium 50mm lens would be perfect.

And the FA43 offers all the different rendering that is needed...a curved world that makes me think I'm always looking at images projected on a basketball.
While you are bashing the FA43, many skilled photographers who have shot or still shoot with other brands stay with Pentax just because the three FA limited lenses, designed by the best engineers with the help of talented photographers, offer unique image quality and rendering.
The fact that you dont appreciate it doesnt mean they are outdated: art is not a matter of fashion!
02-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #67

Interesting to add to this topic, for those of you that are members on the Pentax full frame k1 Facebook group, you will have seen that the poll results for expected/wanted FF lenses hopefully being released this year are as follows:

46 votes for 85mm prime
31 votes for 20mm prime
16 votes for 135mm prime
14 votes for a 50mm

02-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm still wishing for the remake of the current APSC zoom lens line up using the PLM system. I'm also wishing for the firmware update on the k-5II/s to support the KAF4 mount. Just wishing out loud. I hope Ricoh hears me.
Ricoh-Pentax stated that PLM technology is aimed to entry level lenses with a light and simple focusing group.
Hence, dont expect it for large high grade lenses.
02-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Because there are a lot of people that prefer using primes. The performance of modern zooms has definitely increased a lot over the last one or two decades but primes are often still superior in terms of wide aperture and sharpness. Also a lot of people are using primes because they better suit their style of photography. I find using zooms makes me kind of lazy and think less about framing and the kind of picture I want to achieve in a certain situation with a certain lens.

But I also have to say that I don't support what Gedeon is saying. It's all about resources for development. Pentax just isn't as big of a company as Nikon, Canon or Sony. There are holes in the primes lineup but they will be filled. Just give them some time.
If what you are looking for is the unique image quality that only the best primes deliver, just continue to use your FA, FA43 or FA77. They are fast enough (f1.8/1.9), very nicely built, compact, light, AF, with outstanding overall IQ.

It is not obvious that this kind of specific design could easily be fitted with an electronic AF module.

They are not outdated because of the screwdrive AF, which works well and snappy on K3 (my son has the 31 and 77) and, I guess, even better on K1.

When what matters most is best and silent AF in FF, then go with D-FA 24-70 f2.8, or D-FA 28-105, or switch your K1 to APS-C (15MP is quite enough), and use DA 55 f1.4 for instance, or use a K3 if you need more MP. Or buy a cheap Nikon, Canon or Sony A7 body as a second system.
02-12-2017, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Because there are a lot of people that prefer using primes. The performance of modern zooms has definitely increased a lot over the last one or two decades but primes are often still superior in terms of wide aperture and sharpness. Also a lot of people are using primes because they better suit their style of photography. I find using zooms makes me kind of lazy and think less about framing and the kind of picture I want to achieve in a certain situation with a certain lens.

But I also have to say that I don't support what Gedeon is saying. It's all about resources for development. Pentax just isn't as big of a company as Nikon, Canon or Sony. There are holes in the primes lineup but they will be filled. Just give them some time.
Then there FA31, FA43, DFA50, FA50, DA*55, FA77, DFA100, DA*200, DA*300, DA560 availble as primes with half being modern and 3 being the FA limited... Qucik check on sigma, there the 15mm fisheye, the 35mm f/1.4 art or 85mm f/1.4 for primes that make the lineup stronger.

On Pentax side, there also new primes on the roadmap, arround 24, 35, 50 and 85 on the way likely half release this year, the other half next year.

Not only the gap in available prime is small missing basically a wide apperture 24mm prime, a 135mm prime optimized for portraiture (rather than the DFA100 optimized for macro) and maybe a 400mm, but there alternatives readily available in zooms if you need them or on the used market.

If you want the most extensive lens line up, you have to go Canon, not even Nikon. That's just how it is. But lenses don't take photos. Photographers do. All of this are excuses to complain. If there not what you need there today, then go for an echosystem that has it or wait the 1-2 years needed to fill the holes. We are adults, not 5 years old petulant child.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-12-2017 at 05:41 AM.
02-12-2017, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Interesting to add to this topic, for those of you that are members on the Pentax full frame k1 Facebook group, you will have seen that the poll results for expected/wanted FF lenses hopefully being released this year are as follows:

46 votes for 85mm prime
31 votes for 20mm prime
16 votes for 135mm prime
14 votes for a 50mm
What a business plan ! A bit more than 100 lenses sold if all theses people are actually buying them. Unfortunately many that voted there will not buy one if it is released anyway.
02-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So this is the only clear thing that came out of this thread: Gedeon as another ignore list dweller. Done.
Those posts were made by a user whom I am ignoring.

We forget or don't understand that for a company the size of Pentax, which probably finances its next investment with cash flow from current sales, an event like the earthquakes last spring and summer wreaks havoc on their production planning because their component suppliers can't deliver. The aftershocks are probably felt many quarters down the road in delayed product introductions.

In our interloper's snarky wisdom two full quarters of disruption are irrelevant, when in fact there were two serious events in April, 2016 and another Fukushita quake in November.

K-1 was barely available for months. KP was planned for October, as were Lens announcements.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-12-2017 at 05:50 AM.
02-12-2017, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No..just tired of your constant whining and nagging Think i will do as many other, ignore you.
Well said kenspo. Half the reason why I personally choose not to post on this site as often these days. Too much negativity.
02-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those posts were made by a user whom I am ignoring..
Me too.
02-12-2017, 06:43 AM - 6 Likes   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Well said kenspo. Half the reason why I personally choose not to post on this site as often these days. Too much negativity.
Then let us take over this place with positive attitude