Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I think I may well be considered as a tad bias...
Your listing of lenses does indeed show some preference for primes. I notice that you possess the Pentax 85mm f 1.4. In the event that you should begin revising your preferences toward the convenience of zoom lenses, I will be kind enough to take the 85/1.4 off your hands. :>)

02-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ivan, you wouldn't want any of KD's old primes. They were made for film and are no good for digital. You can see that by just looking at his pics.

Oh, I see there are two Pentax-A* 85mm f1.4 on evilbay
02-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Roger Cicala (lensrentals) wrote an interesting commentary on the optical quality of zoom versus prime lenses:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/02/things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-zoom-lenses/

There are really interesting thoughts, backed by real data. A worthwhile read IMHO.

A few examples:
  1. A great zoom is not as good as a good prime at comparable apertures, but itís plenty good, especially in the center of the image. ...
  2. Zooms have more variations [than primes] ...
  3. Where a prime usually has 6 to 12 elements, zooms often have around 20. ....
Great article. That should be a mandatory read for all of us. Now I know why my copy of the Pentax DA 18-135 was bad. I will not talk smack about it anymore as I obviously got a poor copy.
02-12-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait, when did we agree that the 77 Ltd was "the queen of all lenses"? Can we please get into an argument about which lens out of all lenses is best? I think that would be quite productive!

02-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Wait, when did we agree that the 77 Ltd was "the queen of all lenses"? Can we please get into an argument about which lens out of all lenses is best? I think that would be quite productive!
Pentax Forum poll about a year ago showed members saw it this way. No reason to revive a dry subject.
02-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was joking, I want no part of a discussion like that. Seems about as fun as a chain lube discussion on a motorcycle enthusiast's website (been there, done that, no thanks).
02-12-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Although I have more primes than zooms, I usually prefer zooms for general shooting for reasons of cost, convenience and speed. My 28-75 f/2.8 for example covers a range and speed that would require 3 Ltd primes...all of which would individually cost more than the zoom, would require a bag with 3 more slots, and would require frequent lens changes. Very rarely would the IQ difference be make or break for a shot. Not having a suitable focal length on the camera would be.

That said, if I'm specifically shooting macro, or portrait or still life...anything with a degree of planning and setup...or where a specific artistic outcome is desired, the primes are invariably better placed to serve.
02-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That 's about the Pentax Ltd vs Pentax zooms. Due to in the lens VR/VC/IS image stabilization, your rule does not apply to Canikon/Sigma, because a Canikon/Sigma prime can be larger than a Pentax zoom. Take a Canon 50 f1.2, see if that's what you want to have as walkaround lens.
I intentionally wrote "can". If you have a competent lens designer with some sense.

02-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot both zoom and prime. One thing I like about primes is the challenge they present. Sure, with a zoom, one can frame the shot just the way they want. A prime (especially if you have only one lens on you) can force you to re-think the framing you originally envisioned. I've captured many good shots that I might not have considered had I been shooting a zoom. And the overall quality of the shot is better. Yes, I can zoom in and out comparing different framing, but that only serves to confuse more than help me decide.
02-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I intentionally wrote "can". If you have a competent lens designer with some sense.
Yes. And, film era FF lenses always make me think over the "FF is large" thing.
02-12-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #26
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Yes, and, as I have commented before, KD, about your use of old film era lenses, it shows up in your work
Aye I remember that, you just pour salt into that old open wound...
02-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Your listing of lenses does indeed show some preference for primes
Oh... for the power of understatement.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
you should begin revising your preferences toward the convenience
Has Hell frozen over and I missed it.
02-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #28
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
They were made for film and are no good for digital
Yep... unfortunately that's the way of it.
02-12-2017, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

And it's not all about sharpness, FL versatility is a key feature for landscape photography.
Lets say you are outdoor in front of a pond and you want to photography the scenery at the far end of this pond: if you have a prime and you need to walk forward to zoom in, you fall in the pond (pluuffff glouuu gluu), even tough you'd use a Pentax WR prime, zooming with your feet and getting wet is not the best way, even if you are a fan of sharp images. Now, if you have the DFA28-105, in the same situation, you just zoom in with the zoom and stay dry.
There's something in this argument. Standing next to busy roads, a cliff edge etc - all similar. But, with a prime you do seem to get tuned into a FL more astutely. This in turn lets you see the better near-by duck-in-the-rushes shot as you couldn't care about the distant bather on the other side of the pond - who ever they may be ;-) Kind of changes the approach. I remember once when I was set up to take some 2 second delay near shots on a tripod when a deer poked up in the mid-distance. I knew I couldn't capture the deer shot so just watched it - quietly. I remember the details of that incident much better from studying the animal than zoomed in and firing away. The missing stuff works both ways ...Tomorrow I've some spare time and I'll be going out with a zoom for a walkabout. I'll probably end up with dry feet, but I suspect I'll have more boring images with fuzzy edges to delete ...
02-12-2017, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I shoot both zoom and prime. One thing I like about primes is the challenge they present. Sure, with a zoom, one can frame the shot just the way they want. A prime (especially if you have only one lens on you) can force you to re-think the framing you originally envisioned. I've captured many good shots that I might not have considered had I been shooting a zoom. And the overall quality of the shot is better. Yes, I can zoom in and out comparing different framing, but that only serves to confuse more than help me decide.
That's how I see it. If I put a 28mm lens on the camera and leave everything else behind, I am out of luck if I see an eagle stealing salmon from a grizzly bear. I have to stop seeing all the non-28mm shots I am missing, and start seeing shots for that single focal length. When that clicks, my shots work out. Most of the time they are less a snapshot and more a real photograph, but not because a 28mm f8 prime shot is so infinitely superior to a 28mm f8 zoom shot. It's the thought process that goes into the shot. I also take a lot more shots of each subject with slight variations with the prime, while with a zoom I often think I've got it in one.

As camera and processing technology improves, it's easier to make either type of lens work. When you can shoot at ISO 409600 and it's not the maximum for your camera, a slow zoom is not that slow any more. You can stitch shots from a prime lens and get a wide angle. Crop a third of your frame and you still have lots of pixels.