Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good luck! I love beautiful bokeh too and wish Lensbaby Twist 60 or Lomography Petzval 58mm Bokeh Control Art lenses came in any Pentax mount.

Would love to see the results when you get it working. With custom mounting will come uniquely custom results.

02-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Good luck! I love beautiful bokeh too and wish Lensbaby Twist 60 or Lomography Petzval 58mm Bokeh Control Art lenses came in any Pentax mount.

Would love to see the results when you get it working. With custom mounting will come uniquely custom results.

If you replace the mount the Nikon could be adapted as it is a marginally longer registration distance
02-13-2017, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
npc
Veteran Member

If you are extremely masochistic and lucky - you might be able to take the lens block out and stick it somehow inside K-1 in LV mode as it essentially does Mirror Lock Up.
02-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

following this thread, interested in the final results. Post some photos!

02-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Even worse, the auction states it's from a Bolex L-8 which has a shorter-than standard variant of the D mount (a mere 7.8mm FFD!). Even if it were a C, there's no practical way to adapt this lens to K-1, since the entire lens would be sitting inside the mirror box, and the image circle won't even come close to covering a 35mm sensor. If you are lucky, the lens was on an L-8 to standard D adapter, and you can at least use it on Q or m4/3. K-1 ain't happening.

I've seen some of the 4" Cooke Panchrotal C mounts converted to Nikon F, but they have a large rear barrel that can be milled down. I actually have one I've been toying with the idea of converting to K, but that's a project that will have to wait all of my others (including a Kern Macro Switar K conversion) are done.
Well...
Attached Images

02-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even worse, the auction states it's from a Bolex L-8 which has a shorter-than standard variant of the D mount (a mere 7.8mm FFD!). Even if it were a C, there's no practical way to adapt this lens to K-1, since the entire lens would be sitting inside the mirror box, and the image circle won't even come close to covering a 35mm sensor. If you are lucky, the lens was on an L-8 to standard D adapter, and you can at least use it on Q or m4/3. K-1 ain't happening.

I've seen some of the 4" Cooke Panchrotal C mounts converted to Nikon F, but they have a large rear barrel that can be milled down. I actually have one I've been toying with the idea of converting to K, but that's a project that will have to wait all of my others (including a Kern Macro Switar K conversion) are done.

Thanks for the expert advice DC!

Sounds like the K1 ain't going to happen. ... There's no way that I'd risk putting this lens "inside the mirror box" of my K1 and use it in live view mode.

So, on to plan B - I'll try to make it work on my Fuji XE1 mirrorless body.

If that doesn't work, I'll go to plan C - buying a Pentax Q or a m4/3 just for this lens.

Stay tuned...
02-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Congrats from a fellow bokeheholic... I keep collecting bokeh lenses like Helios 40 and Jupiter 8 and 11, so I am always interested in such lenses
If you love bokeh you should add a Revuenon 50 1.4 if you come across one.

02-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks for the advice. I owned one last year, it didn't impress, so I sold it.

But I do still own a Revuenon 55mm f/1.2 though, I do like the bokeh from that one.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.
02-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Thanks for the advice, but I owned one last year. It didn't impress, so I sold it.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1982224@N22/pool/
I don't use mine nearly as often as I probably should.
02-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks! I should keep an eye out for one... Although I find I don't use 50mm that much... But I did get a Jupiter 3, so we shall see how that one works out...
02-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Auto Revuenon MC 50mm f/1.4 | Flickr
I don't use mine nearly as often as I probably should.
Sorry, but to my eye, the 1.2 has much nicer bokeh - Search: revuenon 55mm f/1.2 | Flickr

---------- Post added 02-13-17 at 11:56 AM ----------

Sounds like a much more realistic plan - and you can still probably get some very nice results, since the examples I've seen get full coverage on m4/3 and might come close to covering the Fuji APS-C sensor. The smaller diameter of the D mount compared to the typical C mount of this lens might lead to a reduced image circle (these Petzal derivative cinema lenses were actually purposely designed to cut out the crazy bokeh edges, which were seen as undesirable, and preserve the very sharp center portions), so it might require enlarging the diameter of the rear. Should be doable pretty easily if you have access to a metal lathe.
I have access to all kinds of neat equipment. A friend nearby has a well equipped precision metals shop (e.g. lathes, sand blaster, grinders, polishers, etc.) and will do whatever I ask for a few bucks.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
02-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Sorry, but to my eye, the 1.2 has much nicer bokeh - Search: revuenon 55mm f/1.2 | Flickr
Don't apologize, I appreciate the images link. You're right that it too has some interesting and unique bokeh and either lens would seem to make a great walkaround for our full-frame toting K1 owners.
http://lichtsucher.blogspot.com/2015/01/auto-revuenon-mc-50mm-f14-great-walk.html

EDIT: I noticed you had the 6-blade version of the 50mm? I probably get a different effect anyway with the 8-blade which is what I have.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
02-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

For my money, the Pentax-native FF lens with the closest property's to the Cooke's bokeh insanity would be the Soligor/Cambron/Spiratone/ 20mm f/2.8
Oh wow, totally unique! Now THAT'S one to keep a lookout for. Thanks!
02-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

That lens really is something, might be worth looking out for it
02-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a quick example from my catalog of a wideangle using the Spiratone. Took this one about 5 years ago on a K-5:
That looks like it was taken in Washington DC. Such a coincidence . . .