Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron SP AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) - fault

From new, this lens has periodically stopped working. I've asked about it previously but couldn't find the thread. What happens is that in the middle of taking photos, the lens suddenly appears to be a manual lens to the camera. I've had to take the lens off and put it back on in order to get it to work at all once the issue occurs. Previously I thought that it was an incompatibility between the K3 and the Tamron, because I never had the problem on the K5ii. But over the last few days I've found that zooming from 17mm to 50mm seems to trigger the problem. Zooming in and out a couple of times seems to fix it. I wish I had found this out when the lens was under warranty,

02-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could be a very small misalignment, a loose or faulty wire, etc. Doesn't Tamron offer a 6-year warranty?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could be a very small misalignment, a loose or faulty wire, etc. Doesn't Tamron offer a 6-year warranty?
I don't think that the warranty is that long in Hong Kong. Unfortunately I bought the lens from HK and I live in Australia which makes a warranty claim pretty much impossible. Lesson learned about the disadvantages of buying from a cheap overseas vendor.
PS Thanks for the suggestion, Adam!
02-13-2017, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess the only redeeming factor would be that the lens is really cheap now that it's on closeout.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I'll get a Pentax 12-24 or even the Pentax DA*16-50. I've had no issues with my pentax lenses, although in general the Tamron is great.
02-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've changed from the Tamron to the DA*16-50. The DA* has a much better in build quality, but it's huge and the flare resistance can be a problem. With the Tamron I have never considered flare, becasuse that was perfectly resistant.
IQ wise the Tamron was better by a liitle, but the focus problems made the results worse in general (I've used with large aperture on events).
02-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I've changed from the Tamron to the DA*16-50. The DA* has a much better in build quality, but it's huge and the flare resistance can be a problem. With the Tamron I have never considered flare, becasuse that was perfectly resistant.
IQ wise the Tamron was better by a liitle, but the focus problems made the results worse in general (I've used with large aperture on events).
Thanks for the info! Optically the Tamron is good, which is surprising for a relatively cheap lens. Now that I know I just need to adjust the zoom until it talks again, it's not so bad.

I really wonder whether it's a problem between the K3 and Tamron lens, but nobody else has reported it. I'll probably have to try using the lens on the K5ii for a couple of days to see if it still happens.

Last edited by RobG; 02-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.
02-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I don't think that the warranty is that long in Hong Kong. Unfortunately I bought the lens from HK and I live in Australia which makes a warranty claim pretty much impossible.
Speaking of Tamron in Australia, just FYI, they were distributed by Maxwell locally for years. Then in March 2016 Maxwell closed down in Australia, and Tamron brand distribution was handed over to TNS Connect. An arrangement which didn't last long, as TMS Connect soon dumped their whole photo division, including Tamron, so in November 2016 Tamron appointed Blonde Robot exclusive distributor for Australia:

Maxwell to end operations | PhotoCounter
Tamron moves to Blonde Robot | PhotoCounter

This bouncing around of distribution does not give me great confidence in local support for the brand, so one may as well buy overseas. I got a 4 year lens warranty on a Tamron lens purchase from Maxwell in 2016 - 2 years standard warranty + 2 year bonus warranty extension upon registration of purchase - but that was two distributors ago now. Who knows if anyone will honour such a warranty anymore.

Having said that, the Tamron local distributors have always used Hartland Camera Repairs in Perth as the official Tamron repairer in Australia, so that hasn't changed over the years.

Last edited by rawr; 02-13-2017 at 05:53 PM.
02-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
so in November 2016 Tamron appointed Blonde Robot exclusive distributor for Australia:
Good to know, thanks!