Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 87 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both are great lenses and you can own them both and carry one in each shirt pocket.
Imo, the 21 is more versatile, but the field of view of the 15 is compelling.

02-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Both are great lenses and you can own them both and carry one in each shirt pocket.
Imo, the 21 is more versatile, but the field of view of the 15 is compelling.

Yes, correct, I can carry several lenses with me, but the point here is that I want ONE lens on during the day, if it is dusty and windy and I can't duck out of the wind I can't afford to swap lenses and worry about gerb getting onto the sensor.
02-19-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote

I will have photo opportunities of:
Racetrack stuff
Horse farm stuff
Outdoor attraction stuff

So, even though I'll still probably carry a small lens bag with me, it'll be dusty at some of these places so changing lenses is a last resort. I want to put one on in the morning and go about my day.

15 or 21? (And yes, I know I can use the 18-135 but I've done that).

Cheers!
Basically it depend what you expect to take as photos. While the 21 could do most of the WA just fine and more if you frame with you feets, it seems to me that you'd REALLY benefit from also having a tele for that Racetrack stuff and maybe the others on a few occasions (photos of horses, event for the outdoor attraction stuff)

But I'll say, if you don't take the lenses with you, you could as well sell them. No point to keep things you don't use.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.
02-19-2017, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Basically it depend what you expect to take as photos. While the 21 could do most of the WA just fine and more if you frame with you feets, it seems to me that you'd REALLY benefit from also having a tele for that Racetrack stuff and maybe the others on a few occasions (photos of horses, event for the outdoor attraction stuff)

But I'll say, if you don't take the lenses with you, you could as well sell them. No point to keep things you don't use.
Well... (sigh).. LBA kicked in and I got the 20-40 Ltd today, so this thread is now moot...

Also no racing until April and I'm going in March, so no "racetrack" action per se.

I'll still bring them all, but I have a LOT of overlap so I have to start thinking about selling some of these off.

02-19-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Well... (sigh).. LBA kicked in and I got the 20-40 Ltd today, so this thread is now moot...

Also no racing until April and I'm going in March, so no "racetrack" action per se.

I'll still bring them all, but I have a LOT of overlap so I have to start thinking about selling some of these off.
Or you could do what I did and keep them all!
02-19-2017, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

You will love the 20-40. I think it will make you think twice about keeping the 21! Congrats, I am so happy you gave into LBA and took my advise.

Ever go shooting on State street in Madison...? The day I walked it, I wished I would have had a camera several years back.
02-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are parts of State Street that are photogenic, I might try that.

02-19-2017, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well... (sigh).. LBA kicked in and I got the 20-40 Ltd today.
Ooh, nicely done!
02-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very slick deal on eBay, either no one noticed or I got lucky. Supposedly mint condition. The 55-300 and the 50 are the only 2 I've even bought new, so far I've been lucky with used stuff on eBay and here on the PF. One lens cap missing and one back cap missing over all used purchases.

Now for a new strap...
02-19-2017, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

There are parts of State Street that are photogenic, I might try that.
Absolutely it is a VERY cool street. Have family in Verona, so I know enough to be dangerous, and being from eastern Iowa I do know the area a little. Anyways congrats on the new glass! Take a few photos and let us know how you like it!
02-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
...and being from eastern Iowa I do know the area a little.
Ah, that is an upcoming trip (August, when corn is high for Field of Dreams)

Also Dubuque/Davenport/Moline and the I 80 truckstop before heading back via Galena.

What am I missing?
02-20-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

Different occasions require different kits. I don't use a 14mm FF lens very often, but it is fun to have around sometimes.
02-20-2017, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

... I want ONE lens on during the day, if it is dusty and windy and I can't duck out of the wind I can't afford to swap lenses and worry about gerb getting onto the sensor.
I can't really relate to this point. I carry a bag of primes(a dozen typically) and swap lenses continuously while outdoors in the wind, sea spray, pollen, you name it. Why have a DSLR with replaceable lens if you don't want to change your lens? If there is extraordinary wind and airborne dust, I change the lens inside the compartment of my sling bag(or shielded by your jacket), which is a good technique to know.

A rocket blower cleans the dust off the sensor just fine, IMO.
02-20-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I can't really relate to this point. I carry a bag of primes(a dozen typically) and swap lenses continuously while outdoors in the wind, sea spray, pollen, you name it. Why have a DSLR with replaceable lens if you don't want to change your lens? If there is extraordinary wind and airborne dust, I change the lens inside the compartment of my sling bag(or shielded by your jacket), which is a good technique to know.

A rocket blower cleans the dust off the sensor just fine, IMO.
I agree about making use of your lenses. After about 40 years with the PK mount, I can just about change lenses in my sleep.

However, in my experience, it depends on the body and the conditions whether a rocket blower does the trick. I traveled two weeks in Spain a few years ago with a Kx and a pocketful of compact primes. By the end of the trip, I was generating a lot of need for spot removal despite the efforts of the Giottos. Still, a whole kit of high quality glass that fits in a waist pack was pretty cool.
02-20-2017, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Ah, that is an upcoming trip (August, when corn is high for Field of Dreams)

Also Dubuque/Davenport/Moline and the I 80 truckstop before heading back via Galena.

What am I missing?
Fulton Illinois is right on 84 to Galena on your way back. You could stop and see the authentic Dutch Windmill. You can climb inside it as well. There is also a free museum.