Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Pick one lens for a day's outing, then try
the other the next day.
Rather than switch by day, I like to switch one lens for the walk out, and the other for the walk back.

I'm partial to the DA 21mm, for the reasons others have already mentioned.

03-05-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA 21 is my favorite walkaround prime on my K3. On ASP-C even the DA 40 seems to narrow. I think the DA 15 would be just too wide for many shots unless you can get in real close. I know on my 16-50 the vast majority of my shots are between 16-24mm.
03-06-2017, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
My DA 21 is my favorite walkaround prime on my K3. On ASP-C even the DA 40 seems to narrow. I think the DA 15 would be just too wide for many shots unless you can get in real close. I know on my 16-50 the vast majority of my shots are between 16-24mm.
Even 21 is on the wide side for me, but there is no pancake 24.
03-06-2017, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

Get a 20-40 or consider a 16-85 and never look back.

My 21 and 70 are my Batman and Robin combo. But the HD35 can be a also a standalone lens. You can stitch for panoramas and move a bit closer if you wanted environmental portraits. You just have bear the AF speed tough.

03-07-2017, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My advice to anyone is that before you lay out several hundred dollars for a lens, have a good idea what you want to shoot and how that particular lens will help you get better shots.
It helps a lot if you've been there and done that, found your current line-up wanting, and are able to work out from your photographs exactly what you want out of your new you-beaut lens. Last time I took the kids overseas and we went on a museum boat, I took a lens that had a far too narrow field of view and the trip suffered for it. This time, knowing that the interiors of boats were in the offing, I packed the DA15/4.0 (which I had mostly bought for sweeping landscapes, but it works just as well for narrow spaces indoors) and the results fully justified the decision.

Would a DA14/2.8 have worked better? Arguably yes on paper, but for practical reasons (compactness in a crowded camera bag; cross-compatibility of filters with my other Limiteds and many non-Limited film lenses), one mm longer focal length and a stop slower was a worthwhile price to pay, and a similar case can be made vs. the DA12-24/4.0. And I prefer a rectilinear projection to the fisheye. And we all know that the DA15 controls your mind...
03-07-2017, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Once you decide you need a wider lens than the kit zoom, the choices can be difficult. As far a IQ is concerned, just about every option is a pretty good lens. The DA 14, DA 12-24, Da 15 Limited are all great lenses but they are better at some things than others. Then there are the wide Sigma zooms, the 10-20 and 8-16. I don't know if they're still available but they were good lenses as are the wide Samyang lenses. The DA 10-17 is easy to separate because you either like the fisheye effect or you don't. I chose the DA 15 because of it's small size and I'm almost always shooting at f/11 or f/16 when I use it to get those starbursts off the polished up paint jobs and chrome of the cars I shoot. I do love my fisheye and I use it quite a bit. It's not for everybody and I always tell people not to buy one with the thought of de fishing in PP as the results are rarely acceptable.