Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 87 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ah, right next to Clinton where I will see the Bickelhaupt Arboretum. Cool!

02-20-2017, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I can't really relate to this point. I carry a bag of primes(a dozen typically) and swap lenses continuously while outdoors in the wind, sea spray, pollen, you name it. Why have a DSLR with replaceable lens if you don't want to change your lens? If there is extraordinary wind and airborne dust, I change the lens inside the compartment of my sling bag(or shielded by your jacket), which is a good technique to know.

A rocket blower cleans the dust off the sensor just fine, IMO.
I agree with your sentiment for the most part...however this situation may be the exception.
The DA 20-40mm is faster than the DA21 on the wide end and not much slower on the fast end than the DA 40mm. It is also optically as good (for practical purposes) as those lenses.
02-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I agree with your sentiment for the most part...however this situation may be the exception.
Yes, this might be an exception. I'm not a seasoned pro who can quickly change lenses in the dark by feel, I am an enthusiastic average person who worries about dropping a lens while changing it, getting dust in if I don't have the opportunity to duck into my car or a cave or behind a big rock, and I do have a blower but that is one more thing to carry on a day I just want to have fun.
02-20-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Ah, right next to Clinton where I will see the Bickelhaupt Arboretum. Cool!
Our College now owns that Arboretum

02-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

Looking forward to it!!
02-20-2017, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The DA 20-40mm is faster than the DA21 on the wide end and not much slower on the fast end than the DA 40mm. It is also optically as good (for practical purposes) as those lenses.
+1

The 20-40 is arguably already a bag of primes for those folks how can't or don't want to constantly switch lenses around the normal focal lengths.
The added bonus is WR (the only WR limited) and DC (the only quiet non-screwdrive limited).

I believe that is the whole raison d'être of this lens.
02-20-2017, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

Yes, this might be an exception. I'm not a seasoned pro who can quickly change lenses in the dark by feel, I am an enthusiastic average person who worries about dropping a lens while changing it, getting dust in if I don't have the opportunity to duck into my car or a cave or behind a big rock, and I do have a blower but that is one more thing to carry on a day I just want to have fun.
I totally get this switching lens when you want to take photos is NO fun. You will love the 20-40.

As far things to do... Fulton windmill, field of dreams, all good things. 4th Street elevator in Dubuque is pretty cool also have the only greyhound track anymore in the Midwest is neat to see too in Dubuque as well. If you are into racing come on a Sunday afternoon and watch the dogs run it is fun too. Could also visit eagle point park in Dubuque as well as the one in Clinton right across the river from the Fulton windmill. In Moline, IL in the Quad Cities you could visit the John Deere pavilion too.

Sorry for all the ideas these are my stomping grounds... So I can advise places to eat etc.

---------- Post added 02-20-17 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You must be from the Clinton area to know! I hail from Dubuque but have family in Fulton and am very familiar with Clinton too.

02-24-2017, 06:17 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, just got the 20-40 in the mail today. Already loving it!
02-24-2017, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I am almost sad to say that acquiring the 20-40 has greatly reduced my usage of my 21 and 40 primes. I still consider myself a "prime guy" (it's all I use on film), but the 20-40 is great for a walkaround WR zoom when you don't know what you'll see and can't/don't want to bring any other accessories.

Edit to say I ADORE my 21 Ltd, and would have recommended that lens before your LBA resolved the dilemma, lol. The 20-40 is silent, stylish, WR, has good IQ, and is generally very USEFUL, but I don't love it they way I do the 21, 31, and 77 Ltds, e.g.
02-24-2017, 10:49 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Veteran Member

No surprise here. Glad you like it, my KP will be in tomorrow where mine will reside just as my 16-85 resides on my K3II.

Keep us in the loop on how your first outing with it goes. Would be a perfect lens to bring to Iowa this summer!
02-25-2017, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
No surprise here. Glad you like it, my KP will be in tomorrow where mine will reside just as my 16-85 resides on my K3II.
Now those sound like winning combinations!
03-03-2017, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Now those sound like winning combinations!
Yes, they really are. Truth be told those are the l lenses that will primarily reside on both of those bodies.
03-04-2017, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

I carry both the DA 10-17 and the DA 15 just about everywhere. I don't have the DA 21. I can crop the DA 15 shots if need be. My walk around is the Sigma 17-70C. I have considered the DA 21 also but it's a length I rarely use, judging by the focal length info of my zoom shots. I shoot a lot at 24mm. I also have the DA 40 Limited. The Limiteds aren't a burden to carry and can fit easily in a jacket pocket.

When I bought the DA 10-17, I never realized how much use I would actually get. It's a very versatile lens. I never think about de fishing in PP. I frame my shots using the distortion to get the look I want. The DA 15 is also a very special lens. While it isn't one of my "everyday" lenses, it's size means it's always along. It's resistance to flare, the starbursts (the SMC version), and the way it renders clouds and sky make it just extra special. If funds were unlimited, I would own the DA 21 and DA 70 but as most of us do, I have to limit my purchases to glass I will use fairly often, especially higher priced lenses.
03-05-2017, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

The DA 21mm is a more flexible because it's slightly faster and very sharp by f/4.5, whereas the 15mm has soft edges until at least f/8 and never really gets as sharp as the DA 21mm except possibly in the centre. So that allows the 21mm to be used for good results in more lighting situations.

In terms of focal length, 21mm is also far more flexible than 15mm. In my experience I find far more situations where 15mm is too wide than I do situations where 21mm isn't wide enough. Stitching and cropping can be used to some degree to compensate but stitching increases resolution of the end result whereas cropping does the opposite.

Aside from that, while it can produce very nice results, I find the colours, saturation and contrast from the DA 21mm noticeably better than those of the DA 15mm, producing more vibrant photos.

One negative thing to note on the DA 21mm though, is the risk of green blob flare, but that doesn't rear it's ugly head very often.
03-05-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

The one thing I didn't mention in my post is that the most use I get from my DA 15 and DA 10-17 are car shows and motorcycle shows where you have to get very close due to crowds of people. Both lenses work well but care is needed in framing the shot with the fisheye. The DA 15 gets the most car show use. Most shows are held midday and my SMC version of the 15 peppers the polished up cars with those legendary starbursts which the car owners love.

All of these "which lens" threads can usually be answered with none, especially in regards to focal length. The shots I take with my DA 15 and 10-17 are impossible on other lenses. A high quality zoom is the best investment if you aren't certain. My advice to anyone is that before you lay out several hundred dollars for a lens, have a good idea what you want to shoot and how that particular lens will help you get better shots. If I was primarily a landscape shooter or street shooter, the DA 21 might well be in my bag but I find my Sigma 17-70 suitable for those tasks. 90% of my everyday shooting is done with my 17-70.