Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Use of Tokina 28-70 AT-X F2.8 Pro II (OR AT-X 270 Pro II)

I had been looking for a lens in the 24-70 F2.8 genre for some time. I originally was going to go after the HD-DFA 24-70 but, honestly, I am not a pro and I truly can't justify that cost.

I had looked at the sigma in both the screw drive and HSM as well as the tamron. I didn't go with the sigmas as they were both cost prohibitive relative to their IQ. Which left the tamron, which I bought used.

The tamron arrived and it was damaged straight off, loose barrel and a crack near the filter ring... Not good, so it's getting returned. I was also not impressed with the build quality overall.

I did some more digging and came across the Tokina 28-70 F2.8 AT-X Pro version 2 (it has the bayonet mount hood). The more I looked into it the more it seemed like a viable option. The pictures I saw with it had great color, and supposedly when its stopped down it is pretty sharp throughout the range (according to photozone.de). Its also all metal construction and reportedly "built like a tank". So I bought one.

These lenses are known for both flare, and CA. The flare is handled by buying a different hood according to several posts and reviews I have read, but the CA at 28mm and F2.8 is hard to correct for. Yes, it can be handled in PP but I like to try to get the shot as close to perfect as possible before going to PP. Further, stopping down doesn't help the problem, it makes it worse.

Given the above I know there are folks here on this forum who use this lens, and was hoping for some pointers to help me reduce/eliminate the CA and flare issue. I have seen many of the pictures taken from this lens in the ATX pro lens club and they are gorgeous. Any help from you guys would be great!

02-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unrelated, but you might get better image quality at a lower cost with the D FA 28-105mm, if you're fine with the slower aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Plus One on What He Said...^^^^^^^
02-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unrelated, but you might get better image quality at a lower cost with the D FA 28-105mm, if you're fine with the slower aperture.
No question about Adam's assessment. Lots of bang for the buck.

02-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I looked into the 28-105. I decided against it because of the smaller no-constant aperture. I also like the bokeh and rendering of the tonkina more than that of the 28-105....
02-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

there was also sigma 24-60 f2.8 which should be cheaper. Not sure about the quality.
02-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Though I am grateful for the alternate lens suggestions, I have already purchased the Tokina and am looking forward to using it.

What I am really looking for is, advice on how to work with or mitigate, what I feel, are minor weaknesses and squeeze the most I can out of what appears to be a rather good lens.

Again, thank you for the lens suggestions, but I would appreciate it if we could stick the above topic.
02-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
there was also sigma 24-60 f2.8 which should be cheaper. Not sure about the quality.
I picked up one real cheap. My copy isn't decentred, but it's IQ is less than the 18-55. Good luck to anyone else!

02-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

I use the Tokina AT-X PRO SV 28-70 / 2.8 + Hoya HMC UV (c) 77mm on Pentax K30 and I can only say that it is "a little soft" on the 2.8, remained only words of praise for this lens (ignoring large weight construction that provides the safety in the use of), I used it and on the Pentax K1 when photographing weddings in combination with HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, again only the words of praise

Last edited by mbukal; 02-15-2017 at 04:23 PM.