Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pls help with choosing the right lens

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've just started photography, about a year ago, I've bought Pentax K10D with it's kit lens, 18-55mm. Than when I got interested in portraits, I've bought Pentax 50mm f1.4 and I'm very happy with it. But now I would like to replace my kit zoom, and buy external flash. Zooms that I can afford are Pentax 16-45mm and Sigma 24-60mm, Pentax lens is 280$ and Sigma is 199$. I don't really care about focal length, my question is that which one will have a better bokeh and IQ. For flash I'm considering Metz 48 or Pentax AF 360, Pentax is 40$ cheaper, but if Metz is a better choice than it doesn't make a difference.

Thank You for Your answers. (sorry for my english)

08-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #2

If I was just shooting mostly portraits I would choose neither. Both lens fall short of a good portrait lens. If you can pick up a used 28-75 f2.8 tamron for around 275.00 this would be the better lens. If I really had to make the choice between the 2 lens you mentioned I would take the pentax.
08-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by odessit Quote
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've just started photography, about a year ago, I've bought Pentax K10D with it's kit lens, 18-55mm. Than when I got interested in portraits, I've bought Pentax 50mm f1.4 and I'm very happy with it. But now I would like to replace my kit zoom, and buy external flash. Zooms that I can afford are Pentax 16-45mm and Sigma 24-60mm, Pentax lens is 280$ and Sigma is 199$. I don't really care about focal length, my question is that which one will have a better bokeh and IQ. For flash I'm considering Metz 48 or Pentax AF 360, Pentax is 40$ cheaper, but if Metz is a better choice than it doesn't make a difference.

Thank You for Your answers. (sorry for my english)

Pentax 16-50* /2.8 + Pentax 50-135* /2.8 Better choice
08-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Set aside the ones that did not read your post. I would go for the 16-45. Unfortunally it is indeed a bit wide. But it is a Pentax lens and it has quick-shift afaik. Quick-shift is superb to have.

But without something to take you from 50 and over you will be rather limited to the wide side. That might be ok if you stay in the studio. But if you want to take portraits outdoors and such, I would imagine you would want to have a bit more reach, say 70-90mm.

That being said ~55mm on the cropcamera was the one of the prefered lengths on film for portraits (85mm). But I assume you will use your 50mm for portraits anyway and just want a better zoom then the kit.

My best advice is to save a bit more and go for the DA* 16-50 zoom instead. Maybe even buy it before the flash .

08-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
My best advice is to save a bit more and go for the DA* 16-50 zoom instead. Maybe even buy it before the flash
I agree fully

this is a great lens. I have just received mine and I am more than happy with results so far. Build quality is fantastic, its silent and quick to focus.

My thanks go to all before me who promoted this lens
08-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is a fabulous kit replacement that you will use long term. It's focal length is perfect for shooting planned or candid portraits.

As for flash...you may want to consider the Sigma 500 Super. Great flash that is about the same cost as the Pentax 360.

c[_]
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Can't compare the Pentax with the Sigma you mentioned since of the two I only have the Pentax DA 16-45 /4. Over all it's an excellent lens, but tend not to use it for portrait shots. Given the max. aperture and the focal length I use it as my primary landscape lens (great hiking lens if you can only carry one). I also have the Tamron 28-75 /2.8 and can say that for the overlapping focal lengths I think the it has a better bokeh than the Pentax. Over all IQ is comparable, but I think the Tamron is a touch sharper. Comparing the Tamron to excellent primes in the same focal range (FA 31 Limited, DA 40 Limited, FA 77 Limited) I have to say it's damn close. For shots indoors and/or of people I use the primes, but if I need a flexible travel kit the Pentax 16-45mm /4 and the Tamron 28-75 /2.8 as usually both in the bag.

Can't help with the flash since I really haven't explored this part of photography, yet. So, I'm interest to see what people have to say about the Metz vs. the Pentax.
08-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers. About Pentax 16-50mm, I've heard that it has some problems, that I can get a "bad" one. It's built quality is fantastic, but optically I don't think it's better than Tamron 17-50mm, it's my opinion. I don't need a lens for Portraits, I've got two, Pentax 50mm, and Takumar. I need a "go-around" lens, replacement for my kit zoom. As I have understood from answers, Sigma 24-60mm is not a good choice, that Pentax 16-45mm is a better one? It's just that I've read a lot of fantastic reviews for Sigma lens. For a flash, I've hear that with Sigma flash, Pentax tends to underexpose it's images, but with Metz it works perfect.

08-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by odessit Quote
I don't think it's better than Tamron 17-50mm, it's my opinion.
Really?!