Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Will Pentax revive its A* lenes?

The A*85/1.4 and the A*135/1.4

Rumor: Sigma to Release 14mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/1.8 ART Lenses This Year

Becuase I don't think Sigma will provide these in K-mount too.

Last edited by wed7; 02-14-2017 at 11:03 PM.
02-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know. Keep an eye for the upcoming CP+. IMO, it is also a good idea if people to keep asking them on their FB page too.
02-15-2017, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
The A*85/1.4 and the A*135/1.4

Rumor: Sigma to Release 14mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/1.8 ART Lenses This Year

Becuase I don't think Sigma will provide these in K-mount too.
I don't see any reason why they'd re-use those old optical designs. We need something new, with high optical performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the roadmapped lenses ended up being an 85mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #4

Will Pentax revive its A* lenes?

Because we still need those 40+ years optical design? Please....

02-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

DFA* lenses could sell well now that the K1 is out, but I think they should release new versions of the DA* lenses with upgraded optical designs and AF first, to help dispel the rather poor reputation of the modern * lenses.
02-15-2017, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

FA* 200 macro is the one to update
02-15-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even today the A* 85 has a special place in my heart. The way it renders is different from the FA* that followed it. The A* 135 1.8 has a great following as well. It is hard to dismiss these as fourty year old out of date curiousities. The FA 77 limited optical design is much like the A* 85 and is still well respected.

I would love to see designs that used these as their inspiration and starting point.

02-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think they should release new versions of the DA* lenses with upgraded optical designs and AF first, to help dispel the rather poor reputation of the modern * lenses.
The only DA* lens with a "poor" reputation is the DA* 16-50 --- and opinion on the lens is mostly confined to a few Pentax stalwarts, who are not even in full agreement on the merit of the lens (some actually really like it). Most of the other DA* lenses are very well regarded in terms of the optics. The biggest issue is the SDM, which seems to have a high fail rate in the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135, and is a bit slow across the board. While it would be nice to see the motors updated in all the DA* offerings (and possibly new versions of the DA* 16-50 and DA* 200), filling out the FF lineup has to take precedence. At least with the APS-C lineup many options exist, not only with the star lenses, but impressive non-star lenses and third-party offerings. The FF line-up doesn't even feature a single OEM prime lens that isn't screwdrive AF. Plus DFA lenses are likely to be more profitable, as it's easier to sell them with healthy margins. A new DA* 16-50 would, if it were to improve on the old version, be rather pricey for an APS-C lens. I'm not sure Pentax would make any money on it.
02-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
FA* 200 macro is the one to update
^^^^ This.

I don't need any more lenses, other than a 200mm macro. Heck, it can even be manual focus, cause who need af on a macro.
02-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

All my nickels, dimes and quarters already go into a bin marked "DFA*200mm macro fund". If it's ever actually announced, it's ramen noodle time to speed up the process.

It would be nice to make it weather sealed (I guess it would need to be for the *). Otherwise, I'm not sure it needs any changes. From its reputation improving the optics might be a tall order.
02-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It would be nice to make it weather sealed (I guess it would need to be for the *). Otherwise, I'm not sure it needs any changes. From its reputation improving the optics might be a tall order.
Do you really want to ruin a stellar reputation by subjecting it to the modern internet frenzy?
02-16-2017, 02:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Even today the A* 85 has a special place in my heart. The way it renders is different from the FA* that followed it. The A* 135 1.8 has a great following as well. It is hard to dismiss these as fourty year old out of date curiousities. The FA 77 limited optical design is much like the A* 85 and is still well respected.

I would love to see designs that used these as their inspiration and starting point.
This is what I had on my mind when I posted the thread, reproduction of the said lenses. (together with the A*200)

Slap DC/PLM motor, renew HD coatings add WR and boom, we can have great lenses again. These FLs are not that specialized like those of super telephotos that are somehow very costly to produce (i.e. 250-600, 600/4 etc.)
02-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what I had on my mind when I posted the thread, reproduction of the said lenses. (together with the A*200)

Slap DC/PLM motor, renew HD coatings add WR and boom, we can have great lenses again. These FLs are not that specialized like those of super telephotos that are somehow very costly to produce (i.e. 250-600, 600/4 etc.)
To be fair those designs may have room for improvement- and they may have more costly designs than what could be created today. It is unknown to me if the coating changes would work or if the lens arrangement would be appropriate for autofocus.

But I can dream.
02-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To be fair those designs may have room for improvement- and they may have more costly designs than what could be created today. It is unknown to me if the coating changes would work or if the lens arrangement would be appropriate for autofocus.

But I can dream.
Who needs autofocus on a 200mm macro?
02-16-2017, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually, I find AF very useful on my 200 macro lens. The question is; who needs AF in a wide angle lens?