Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Can anyone tell me what the lenses in that picture are?

Hello, found a listing for an old spotmatic with a few lenses and other accessories.

The guy doesn't provide a description on the lenses (and only the 50mm f2 is visible fromt the front).

You will notice a big lens in the same photo (long sitting vertically) and I am curious if anyone had any idea what that lens might be (waiting on answer from seller but if I can figure it out before he answers me I may be able to get a great deal out of it)

---------- Post added 02-17-17 at 10:48 AM ----------

@mightymike I know you deal with a lot of lenses, any idea what any of those could be just by looking at them in my picture?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-17-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removed vulgarity
02-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the camera appears to be a Spotmatic, I'd think the lenses would be screwmount/m42. Why not contact the seller and ask?
02-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fumanchu1 Quote
Hello, found a listing for an old spotmatic with a few lenses and other accessories.

The guy doesn't provide a description on the lenses (and only the 50mm f2 is visible fromt the front).

You will notice a big lens in the same photo (long sitting vertically) and I am curious if anyone had any idea what that lens might be (waiting on answer from seller but if I can figure it out before he answers me I may be able to get a great deal out of it)

@mightymike I know you deal with a lot of lenses, any idea what any of those could be just by looking at them in my picture?
I'm guessing a tele-zoom (likely in the ~70-200mm range), a teleconverter, and either a wide-tele kit zoom, or a fairly fast wide angle, maybe a 35/2.8 (but could be a lot of different lenses). Also a close-up lens that screws on like a filter. Whether or not it's a 'good deal' depends on the condition of the gear. No way to tell from the photo. Even gear without obvious cosmetic blemishes can have show-stopping issues, conversely gear that looks beat on can still work well and have years of life left in it. I would bet up to 50 bucks on the lot, no more.
02-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens up front looks to be one of the early 50mm macro lenses???

02-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the one on the camera definitely says 50 f2 then it is not a Takumar. They are 55 f2. The close one is not Pentax - it looks more like an old Tamron. The long one is probably an old zoom of little worth.
02-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
If the one on the camera definitely says 50 f2 then it is not a Takumar. They are 55 f2. The close one is not Pentax - it looks more like an old Tamron. The long one is probably an old zoom of little worth.

Yeah sorry about that lol it is indeed a 55mm (I was looking at a 50mm 1.4 earlier, probably mixed up the two).

---------- Post added 02-17-17 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'm guessing a tele-zoom (likely in the ~70-200mm range), a teleconverter, and either a wide-tele kit zoom, or a fairly fast wide angle, maybe a 35/2.8 (but could be a lot of different lenses). Also a close-up lens that screws on like a filter. Whether or not it's a 'good deal' depends on the condition of the gear. No way to tell from the photo. Even gear without obvious cosmetic blemishes can have show-stopping issues, conversely gear that looks beat on can still work well and have years of life left in it. I would bet up to 50 bucks on the lot, no more.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight.
02-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I was going to say an old Tamron for the one beside the leather filter case too. The long one in the back is either an old, small aperture telephoto or an old zoom, neither of which are likely worth much. $50 for the lot, without knowing all the specifics, would be generous in my mind.

Take a look through these and see if one matches: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-lenses-i98.html

02-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by fumanchu1 Quote

I see extension tubes, an off brand 135mm F2.8, diopter filters, of course the tripod and spotmatic, one of the takumar normal lenses, a cheap flash and the big lens i suspect is the Vivitar 70-150mm F3.8 (I could be wrong it could also be an off brand 80-200mm F4.5) Not knowing the asking price i'm not sure what deal you'll get, don't write off the off-brand 135mm it may be a nice lens, the extension tubes can come in handy too. make sure you check for haze and fungus, those can be deal killers
02-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
I see extension tubes, an off brand 135mm F2.8, diopter filters, of course the tripod and spotmatic, one of the takumar normal lenses, a cheap flash and the big lens i suspect is the Vivitar 70-150mm F3.8 (I could be wrong it could also be an off brand 80-200mm F4.5) Not knowing the asking price i'm not sure what deal you'll get, don't write off the off-brand 135mm it may be a nice lens, the extension tubes can come in handy too. make sure you check for haze and fungus, those can be deal killers
Thanks for the input, I'll make sure to check for haze and fungus if/when the seller gets back to me. (I will probably end up sending you a pm once I know exactly what the lenses are, if you don't mind, to get an idea if they are any good/worth it)
02-17-2017, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe one of them are this Tamron 90mm f/2,5 macro:

I cant recognize the other one exactly, but the design looks much like the Tamron Adaptall-2 series. Maybe a "new" variety of the 85-210 f/4,5 or 70-220mm f/3,8
02-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I believe one of them are this Tamron 90mm f/2,5 macro:

I cant recognize the other one exactly, but the design looks much like the Tamron Adaptall-2 series. Maybe a "new" variety of the 85-210 f/4,5 or 70-220mm f/3,8
Good eye, it may be but i can't see the adaptall mount on it when enlarging and attempting to enhance the image