Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello Pentax Universe,

I've been bitten by the Limited bug. I'm not sure if I should get them individually or get the 20-40 to start with. I know the primes are awesome, but I also like the convenience of the zoom in that range. I will be looking at the da70 as well. The da15 will be last because I don't do a lot of wide shots.

Also, are the HD versions a lot better than the SMC versions?

What to do?
Prime vs zoom boils down to how you like to take pictures. If you walk around taking photos of random stuff then go with the zoom. If you do a little bit of planning and so forth to put your shots together then primes can be very very nice.

02-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #17

The 20-40 is nice because it is not bulky. Thow I prefer the very small primes. For close distance I use the DA 21, for general photography the DA 40. The 70 is nice for portraits, though I have other lenses for this purpose too and anyway don't do frequently. I usually have one body with the 21 and one with the 40. If you don't have two bodies you can go for the 20-40, it's convenient. They say the HD 21 is sharper wide open than the SMC 21. The 40 and 70 are quite similar.
02-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This a very good thread topic... Honestly if you want a more walk around lens, I personally highly recommend the 20-40. I have the DA 35 Limited and DA 15 Limited too. Both awesome glass but... If want you a walk around lens and basically 2 primes built into 1 it is gem. I have a KP coming which is where this lens will reside most of the time.
02-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like to combine the 20-40 with the DA* 50-135 for walk around - but I also have the 18-135 which is smaller and lighter than that package. I'm more partial to the images I get from the 20-40 and 50-135 however.

There are also times I use the 15, 40, 70 or 15, 31, 77 combo.

02-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I like the images from my 20-40 as much as the ones I got with a DA21. My limited zoom is a little weaker at the long end, but really quite good short. I don't have reason to put on the 31 unless I am really going for maximum quality. And with that said, the 31 tens to be a bit more temperamental - my best shots ever are mostly with it, but I get some that I am not that happy with. I am sure it is user error, but the 20-40 seems to give more even results.

Right now I have found the 20-40 and the 77 cover almost everything I tend to shoot. But I have a bunch more, just because.
The benefit of FA31 is f/1.8 (f/3.5 at same focal length for DA20-40 so almost 2 stops?), exceptional bokeh and rendering. f/3.5 is too limited at 31mm for subject isolation in many situations. For portraiture, for everything with a human skin inside or bokeh, I find it much better than DA20-40 or even the DA limiteds. This is also the most expensive prime in the lineup and the biggest limited prime lens.

If you don't use its assets, you should really think of selling it. Not only you'd get some money back for something you use more but you'd also make somebody else happy.
02-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently had this same dilemma of the HD DA 20-40 vs the same range with primes... I ended up with the primes, mostly DA Limiteds...

I have the 70, the 40, and the 21 Limiteds, but got out of the box when it came to the wide end and bought a DA 14/2.8...

(there's also a DA35, a couple of nice 28's, and a K24 in that mix also for me)
02-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The benefit of FA31 is f/1.8 (f/3.5 at same focal length for DA20-40 so almost 2 stops?), exceptional bokeh and rendering. f/3.5 is too limited at 31mm for subject isolation in many situations. For portraiture, for everything with a human skin inside or bokeh, I find it much better than DA20-40 or even the DA limiteds. This is also the most expensive prime in the lineup and the biggest limited prime lens.

If you don't use its assets, you should really think of selling it. Not only you'd get some money back for something you use more but you'd also make somebody else happy.
I do use the 31, when I am aiming for the best picture I can possibly take at that approximate focal length. And it has given me some of my favorite pictures, that I would consider the best. But also at times it has given me washed out colors, in the wrong light; less DOF than I needed; or strong CA that distracted from what I wanted. All could have been prevented or avoided with better technique, true. But with the DA 20-40 I've had those issues crop up fewer times. Partly because of how I use it, partly because my uses for it are different, and maybe a little lower expectations.

The DA Limiteds do tend to produce dense color saturation, so may not be ideal for most portraiture. Still they are fine tools that can be used for most purposes, and post-processing can certainly deal with saturation. I agree that sometimes the FA limiteds are a notch above, and I won't soon be selling mine. The DA 20-40 is what stays as default on my main camera, though.