Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tripod Quote
At 4.2 lbs, sounds like that's the only thing I can carry in my backpack minus survival tidbits ie water and wafer I will get the pictures but will dehydrate like a dried prune. Could you share with me why you let your Bigma go? Not only out of curiosity but may also influence my decision.
I sold it because I discovered I was using it almost exclusively at 500mm. So the right thing to do was to buy the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX. That beast is even heavier than the Bigma but its optical qualities and faster glass certainly makes up for it.

08-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I sold it because I discovered I was using it almost exclusively at 500mm. So the right thing to do was to buy the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX. That beast is even heavier than the Bigma but its optical qualities and faster glass certainly makes up for it.
Hi Asahiflex I have the bigma and am looking to move up how much better is the IQ from the 500 f4 and what is the AF speed like?
08-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vivitar 105 f2.5

Hi Marcus,
That picture with Vivitar macro with TC stacked looks great.

Would you be kind enough to post one or 2 more pics with people in it? I would like to see how it would look like?

cheers
rae
I use the vivitar macro mostly for macro work. Allow me to post macro shot first and find another day to capture people and repost again.

vivitar macro 105 f2.5. This doubles up as tele-lens and add doubler kenko, you have more than 200 mm mulltiplied by the crop factor, is good for long distance.

marcus
08-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vivitar

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33309-vivitar-...walkabout.html

Vivitar as a walkabout tele-lens.
marcus

08-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have seen some stunning macro shots with the Sigma 180.

If i was in the market for a macro, thats the one i would opt for, as the FA 200 is hard to find and expensive

Dave
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I would say go with the Sigma 180 macro + a TC. The one thing that Sigma has over Pentax or Tamron is that they are currently producing TCs in the Pentax mount.

Something else to consider is the Sigma 70-200/2.8. It's still a fairly heavy lens (48.3 oz.), but it's over a pound lighter than the Bigma. If you add a Sigma 2x TC to it, you'll have a 600mm/5.6 equivalent on the long end.

If you want to go even lighter, then Sigma will eventually be releasing a 50-150/2.8, as well.

HTH,
Heather
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I would say go with the Sigma 180 macro + a TC. The one thing that Sigma has over Pentax or Tamron is that they are currently producing TCs in the Pentax mount.

Something else to consider is the Sigma 70-200/2.8. It's still a fairly heavy lens (48.3 oz.), but it's over a pound lighter than the Bigma. If you add a Sigma 2x TC to it, you'll have a 600mm/5.6 equivalent on the long end.

If you want to go even lighter, then Sigma will eventually be releasing a 50-150/2.8, as well.

HTH,
Heather
Hi hwblanks I think your math is a bit off 200 x 2 =400 it you take in crop factor then it's 600 but that makes 500 equate to 750
This from sigma website on the 180 f3.5 (When this lens and the 1.4x EX tele-converter are used with Minolta or Pentax cameras the lens must be focused manually. When used with the 2x EX tele-converter, the 180mm F3.5 lens becomes a 360mm F7 lens with manual focus function only, regardless of camera mount.)
Tripod
I have the bigma and I use it as a walk around lens yes it is heavy I tend to use it with a mono pod and rest it on my shoulder when I'm walking first shot is a 50mm butterfly @500mm f8 about 3m away not cropped
the second is a 3m Aligator @ 420mm f8 about 50m away

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Spot Focus; 08-09-2008 at 04:35 PM.
08-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Which lens or lenses are you using now?
Hello Kathyk,
Sorry that I missed out this one.

I haven't got much lens for my K10D other than basics;
fisheye SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm 1:3.5 to 4.5
Kit lens smc pentax 18-55mm
Sigma 28-70mm 1:2.8-4 UC
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom (is now dead)

Since the 70-300 telezoom died recently, I feel very inadequate without it, especially for my kind of usage. Since I'll be spending some money, I figured the bigma 50-500mm would give me a little bit more of that extra reach minus the macro of course.

I have tried stacking the TC on my now dead 70-300, but find that image quality a bit soft (actually very soft) The macro button is great but its not giving me the real macro, which is why I'm seriously considering the sigma 180mm macro but still wondering how the IQ will turn out for faraway subjects ( once stacked with TC )

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I am wondering if a zoom lens + extension tube(s) + a teleconverter might be well-rounded enough to see you through with just one lens. Maybe the 50-135/2.8? Or would that also be too heavy?
I'm also wondering. Has anyone ever tried this combo and how is the IQ?
08-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, for your kind feedback and posting your photos and other lenses suggestions to help me think and contemplate deeply into all kinds of circumstances which I got myself into in the past and for the coming future. I spent the last 2 days seriously weighing all the usage pro and cons. I haven’t been replying immediately as I am still reading previews and at one time I had 14 windows opened at the same time, comparing features, prices and slashing out those based on what I don’t need. Basically, my most current need is very simple. 50-500mm bigma is at the moment able to fill the gap and the only one that remained prominent in the slashed and crossed list.

In my head, I kept hearing my own voice telling me that lenses are just like shoes, each one created for different usage. I guess in the end I'll end up with dozens of different lenses for different kind of activities and probably soon enough having my own ebay account

So, I'm sort of close to just grab a new 70-300 APO DG to replace the one that died recently, but remembered how frustrated I was with some pictures very soft taken at 300mm. Then Asahiflex made me look at sigma 500mm prime lens for the IQ sake. Putting the price factor aside, I decided that one day I will go for this lens but right now I need a lens that offer me wide range focusing and distance flexibility without having to change lens in a dusty environment. (Again bigma stood here, of course the weight does matter but I suppose the saying "no pain no gain" applies perfectly in my circumstances)

To have a taste of the "beast of burden" I threw in 2.5kg dumbells into my back pack and went out on a long trek over the weekend. That's about 5.5 lbs. Bruised shoulder due to sleeveless tee shirt but it was a searing hot day, probably a backpack with shoulder gel pad would provide better comfort. ....but I really shouldn't use weight as an issue as I have carried 10kg on my back for a solid 6 weeks expedition up in the everest region. As for day to day use, I probably end up like SpotFocus going about with bigma attached to a monopod/tripod. I'm always with a tripod or the bean bag anyway. Didn't call myself Tripod for no reason

I'll never find out until I've tried it, so, I'm placing an order for bigma 50-500 but the jury is still out there whether I'm going to be comfortable working with this lens or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spot Focus Quote
Tripod
I have the bigma and I use it as a walk around lens yes it is heavy I tend to use it with a mono pod and rest it on my shoulder when I'm walking first shot is a
SpotFocus, thank you for posting your pictures of your 50mm butterfly @500mm f8 about 3m away not cropped the second is a 3m Aligator @ 420mm f8 about 50m away. You have just sold me this lens.

What is still undetermined at the moment is which macro lens should I go for. Will the Sigma 180mm be an overkill once I own the bigma? I won’t be carrying the same lens at the same time (but I often hire a Sherpa during expedition, I’m a toothpick midget 5’2 )

Can anyone post me some of 180macro stacked with TC for an pictures overview?
....or any other macro lens from 100mm onwards?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Tripod there is also the DA*60-250 around the corner later this year early next. It is a DA* lens so it will be fully weather sealed.

Maybe go for the Macro first.
Rico,
The DA 60-250 fully weather sealed is very appealing. I will definitely go for this lens but the summer will be ending soon and I badly need a new lens. I’ll use the bigma as a fill in between. There is still 9 months before the next expedition to Island Peak (everest region) but in 4 months we’ll be heliskiing again. Weather sealed would be a plus plus points for deep powdery snow. Would be interesting when someone can post some pictures from this lens too.

(new indecisiveness began between 180 macro vs fully weather sealed DA 60-250)
08-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spot Focus Quote
Hi Asahiflex I have the bigma and am looking to move up how much better is the IQ from the 500 f4 and what is the AF speed like?
Well, as expected the 500/4.5 smokes the Bigma, except for weight. The Bigma is a true unique lens because it has a 10x zoom. With that in mind its qualities are superb. However, it's slow at 500mm (f/6.7) which means that using it with a converter is nearly impossible. Also, like most zoom lenses, at the extreme ends it is not at its sharpest.

The 500mm f/4.5 APO EX on the other hand is already very sharp wide open, but that's to be expected from a very good lens. It also focuses faster because there's more light for the AF sensors.

These were shot at f/5:

This one was stopped down a bit more:

Finally, a non-bird shot:

Sorry for hijacking the thread
08-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #26
Forum Member

Tripod,

If you find some frustration with the Sigma 70-300mm, perhaps you can try the Tamron. I heard that they are very similar lens, the Tamron a bit sharper and the Sigma less likely to exhibit CA.

I too have the Sigma APO lens, I use it up to 200 for telephoto purposes and I try to reserve 200-300 purely for the "macro" usage as it is a little soft.

The Tamron DI version may suit your need at present a little better. The price is about the same (may be even cheaper than the sigma)
08-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeek10d Quote
These lens should help you with better bokeh; Pentax A*/FA* 200mm F4, voigtlander 125mm, vivitar/lester dine/kiron 105mm, Sigma 70mm, Pentax F 100mm f2.8, Tamron 90mm Di and even FA 100mm f2.8.
That's as good a list of recommended macro lenses as you are going to find.

However it seems from your other requirements that you need a lens with more reach than most of these.

I haven’t been replying immediately as I am still reading previews and at one time I had 14 windows opened at the same time, comparing features, prices and slashing out those based on what I don’t need.
He he -- I think we know the feeling!

So, I'm sort of close to just grab a new 70-300 APO DG to replace the one that died recently, but remembered how frustrated I was with some pictures very soft taken at 300mm.
If this is what you need I should sell mine. I bought it for one trip, used it for one trip and it now sits in perfect shape on my shelf. I have already paid all duties/taxes to get it into Europe. PM me if interested.
08-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote
Tripod,

If you find some frustration with the Sigma 70-300mm, perhaps you can try the Tamron. I heard that they are very similar lens, the Tamron a bit sharper and the Sigma less likely to exhibit CA.

I too have the Sigma APO lens, I use it up to 200 for telephoto purposes and I try to reserve 200-300 purely for the "macro" usage as it is a little soft.

The Tamron DI version may suit your need at present a little better. The price is about the same (may be even cheaper than the sigma)
Aruxaru,
It would have been lovely if you had chipped in your feedback earlier the damaged to the wallet is done …but please continue reading below

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Sorry for hijacking the thread
Please don't be sorry as some constructive hijacking can do lot of good if not mega damage to the wallet, but even in verbal discussions, some topic do tend to stray away from the main topic but the discussions somewhat always come around to the main subject again.

Peter Jonkman, your 500mm pictures are SUPERB!!! This is indeed high quality images. In a way I get to share some infos SpotFocus is seeking except I am now in his (or is it her? ) position (I can’t find out the gender from user profile) Ha ha ha…I did skipped lunch and went to collect my bigma, which is now sitting on my desk looking like a bombastic bazooka! One thing for sure, by the time I’m ready to exclusively upgrade from bigma to Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX, I'm sure I will not hesitate. Those pictures are great testimonials.

Now I can’t wait to get out and get happy snapping.
Cheers
Rae
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I’m warming up to the Bigma. Here are some practice Jpegs grabshots from 2 days of hand held try out. Yes, hand held. I broke the slix tripod head when I was trying to mount the bigma on it My monopod quick release plate is a wee bit small. Am looking into new tripod and monopod.

As I type this, I can feel my left wrist feeling a bit strange, hopefully I won’t have that carpal tunnel syndrome thing and the forearm inner musles quite “tight” from supporting the lens barrel at the same time turning the zoom. It would be fantastic if my fingers can grow a few centimetres more….

Taken yesterday on a gloomy grey afternoon just before the rain. That bus is quite far, air distance about 500meters. In the original size, all the writings on the bus are very clear and readable

Blooming hedge, about 150 meters away

Taken indoor with light from the window, no flash

Today was a mix bowl of sun and cloud, was amazed by the intensity of the colours

Was shocked to see the amount of dirt on the sensor

quite an interesting result in the garden shots too

not that bad from the short end

at the far end of the zoom, but notice some blue fringe

quite pleasing bokeh

bleeding sharp

I’m starting to like this lens

My dead 70-300 can do exactly like this but bigma sure topped the sharpness aspect

Middle of the afternoon test shots

Red kite flying pass teasingly, but never did came close to filling up the whole frame

Other than the cumbersome weight, I’m beginning to really like this lens. Will put up with the weight and tow it up to the mountains over the weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperate and let me take some pictures.
08-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you've certainly got the hang of that lens!